Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Property prices may dive

Property prices may dive

Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future
Default Re: Property prices may dive

We live on the Sunshine Coast and housing here is very overpriced in my opinion - the average house price is something between 9 and 10 times the average local wage on the Coast.

I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for the 50+ years crowd as they've had the best of the housing market and seen their property prices increase dramatically and probably unsustainable over the last 10-15 years - they also lived in an era where Dad went to work and Mom stayed at home with the kids - no child care issues in those days - can you just imagine what you'd have to be earning to afford that nowadays. They'll also have enough saved through Super to get them out of jail if they've overreached.

It's the 20 and 30 somethings I feel sorry for, if they've bought they've had to buy at over inflated prices, if they are on an average wage they both must work or they've no chance. And that's if they can keep both their jobs.

The way the market is now, it'll only take one person in a 20-30 something couple to lose their job and they'll be in serious financial trouble.

The FHBG is a complete red herring as, when the recession and rising unemployment really hits, anyone with less than a 20% deposit will probably end up in negative equity. It's just drawing in more and more suckers to this vicious circle that i'm afraid that older greedy generation must take the blame for - they won't though ofcourse.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Dangit, I hope that is wrong, as I'm just about to sign contract on a house. There is no way I can get another job to help OH out as I've just been diagnosed with MS so no one would have me, whatever the law says, and I'd probably be too tired anyway. As long as interest rates don't go over 10% we'll be able to get by we think.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:05 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kassy
That is assuming the Super hasn't lost a lot in the stock market rout...
Also, think the withdrawal would attract a much higher rate (am not too familiar with the tax rules).

The average Toorak homeowner has a mortgage in excess of $ 1 million (East Brighton - around 700k)..... wonder if their Super will cover the mortgage?

I am completely taken aback by the LTVs (100-120% of home values) permitted by banks in Australia (this is continuing even after the financial crisis, although CBA recently announced a 3% equity requirement). I think banks are in for a rude shock if/when the employment situation worsens....
My super is over $150k in under 3 years, so imagine my co workers who have been at it for over 25 years?

In Toorak if they have a mortgage at all it would be rare. Most homes are geared from other investments - ie debt held in company, cash withdrawn and used to buy personal property.

Last edited by Geelong Gent; Mar 21st 2009 at 8:08 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for the 50+ years crowd as they've had the best of the housing market and seen their property prices increase dramatically and probably unsustainable over the last 10-15 years - they also lived in an era where Dad went to work and Mom stayed at home with the kids - no child care issues in those days -
Not as many cars in the family either or TV's, if you had one.

You are looking at two very different generations.
Compare the first home buyers house that a current over 50 year old had back then, to todays first homes.

There are plenty of houses about that are similar in wage multiples to the 1970's, but although the older people were happy to live in something of that nature, todays generation just isn't.

Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not as many cars in the family either or TV's, if you had one.

You are looking at two very different generations.
Compare the first home buyers house that a current over 50 year old had back then, to todays first homes.

There are plenty of houses about that are similar in wage multiples to the 1970's, but although the older people were happy to live in something of that nature, todays generation just isn't.

Not on the Sunshine Coast there aren't.

I have to say your comments are fairly typical though.

Times have moved on regards TV's and Cars too. Many people need two cars in the family just to be able to get to work these days.

Not the case in the 60's when you only needed one cause Mom stayed at home.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

If you honestly believe it's possible today to have a family with kids, one full time earner with 2009 costs of living, earning an average wage, being able to afford their own home when they just have the FHBG then can you please point out where these suburbs are.

Last edited by Pearl&Wal; Mar 21st 2009 at 10:33 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I think the houses at the low end need to be lower not higher as first home buyers might get the grant but if they are not earning a decent wage and have children servicing the loan is beyond most of them.

Super is dire not earning a fig at the moment and not a lot of people are on multipliers anymore. So I believe there would not be enough super for most people in trouble to repay their homes.

Compulsory super has only been around since 90 I know because I was one of the people who started with it and I can tell you my payout was chicken feed.
Super will recover - you just don't want to be retiring right now.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think expectations are higher now.

I have to say your comments are fairly typical though.

Times have moved on regards TV's and Cars too. Many people need two cars in the family just to be able to get to work these days.

Not the case in the 60's when you only needed one cause Mom stayed at home.
..and in some ways it is harder, too.

If you honestly believe it's possible today to have a family with kids, one full time earner with 2009 costs of living, earning an average wage, being able to afford their own home when they just have the FHBG then can you please point out where these suburbs are.
None around for quite away here in SE Melbourne, maybe a unit or duplex at 4-5x income.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think expectations are higher now.
Absolutely

2 cars, 4 TV's, 4 computers, 2 lounge suites, 5 bed house, and that's us with just 1 kid, on one wage, with a stay at home parent

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Mar 22nd 2009 at 12:11 am. Reason: spelling

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:10 am
ABCDiamond

WERRINGTON $147,000 2 Bedrooms 1 Bathrooms

ST MARYS $159,950 2 Bedrooms 1 Bathrooms

PENRITH $165,000 2 Bedrooms 1 Bathrooms

The problem is that most First Home buyers want something better than those properties, they dont want to travel too far to work. Those ones are 1 hour travel from Sydney CBD.

One average wage is about $1,100 pw then add the FTB for the kids and you can be on a decent income.

But, it does mean starting small, and maybe just one car, and maybe no big Plasma TV.

There is a brand new 3 bed house near us for $255,000. I got an email from the agent for it yesterday. But I doubt it will sell fast, as it isn't in the best area.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think expectations have to be lowered now and its going to be tough. Lots of spec houses for sale just like the last time and the builders got burnt big time.

There are three brand new units near where my mum lives and they have been on the market for over a year and reduced by hundred grand now and still only one has sold.

They have position close to the town ideal for older people or down sizers but no takers.

Now that super is linked to the markets no guarantee in the end what payouts will be or what the world will be like when people retire.

Most people's houses only rise with inflation and are relative to the present time in price. Only land in the CBD and surrounds gives better returns due to shortage.

As for Toorak people highly geared whatever way they arrange their funds, is still highly geared and lots of houses are on the market in the top suburbs now.

I too feel for the late twenties to 40 age group with young children who have bought at the top of the market.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

The problem is that most First Home buyers want something better than those properties, they dont want to travel too far to work. Those ones are 1 hour travel from Sydney CBD.

One average wage is about $1,100 pw then add the FTB for the kids and you can be on a decent income.

But, it does mean starting small, and maybe just one car, and maybe no big Plasma TV.

There is a brand new 3 bed house near us for $255,000. I got an email from the agent for it yesterday. But I doubt it will sell fast, as it isn't in the best area.
Fair enough but we don't live in Sydney.

Try to do the same for the Sunshine Coast where, I can assure you, the average wage is no where near $1100 per week. Reduce that by about 20% and you'll be getting warmer.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of cheap homes, just not at the beach suburbs
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:53 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Great areas if you are into drugs and flannos. Your post highlights the issue.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:54 am
ABCDiamond

Fair enough but we don't live in Sydney.

Try to do the same for the Sunshine Coast where, I can assure you, the average wage is no where near $1100 per week. Reduce that by about 20% and you'll be getting warmer.
The interesting thing, looking at the following statistics, is that the Sunshine Coast is slightly cheaper than Sydney

In Nambour, the median price of smaller properties (which used to be the first home buyer type properties) is $250,000, not on the waters edge of course.

As an indication of wages, the ATO has the median wage at Nambour as being about 82% of the national median wage.
The national average Male Full Time Total Earnings in Nov 2008 was $1,313.60 pw ($68,307 pa), therefore Nambour would be about $1,050 pw.

(Please note the statistical comment in my signature )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.