Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Price of Polo mints?

Price of Polo mints?

Old Jul 27th 2022, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of Polo mints?

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Schooners in SA, pots down in Mexico, middies in NSW, and cans when I was in Darwin.
When my DH was working in Darwin it was “tinnies” and not cans.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 9:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
The three “locals” we used in Perth all sold pints and half pints maybe my memory is fading now on our life in Australia but I cannot remember coming across midis and pots when we went “out”
That's still how it is
Old Jul 27th 2022, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have the same battle with ice in cider. They are convinced thats the correct way to serve it (even though it affects the measure of the drink

I can't stand it with ice, dilutes the cider, and makes the drink too cold to taste properly (though with some Aussie drinks that can be a bonus!
In Australia I enjoyed (now and again in the summer) a really cold (cannot drink cider any other way) Strongbow sweet cider but they do not sell it here in the UK (sweet version) our eldest lived in the south west (UK) for a few years and he really enjoys a cider, personally I think it’s looney juice lol but our eldest said they drink it from birth “down in the south west” lol
Old Jul 27th 2022, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Lucky!
City prices have always been shocking, but the few pubs that exist in the suburbs weren't so bad. My tatty local used to charge $6 for a pint pf Bulmers, then they closed during covid, turned it into a nasty glass & chrome monstrosity, and doubled all the prices

As for Polos, I remember them being two & a half new pence, and 17 in a packet! Probab~ly eaten my body weight in them over the years
Reminds me of the “penny tray” at our local corner shop, what a treat that was for us on a Friday after school, the white mice were my favourite oh and the licorice “pipes” luckily we have a traditional “sweetie” shop near to us but the chocolate mice are not the same…which maybe a good thing for me lol. Did any of you Aussie’s have anything similar growing up? For a treat we use to take our boys to the English Sweet Shop in Perth city centre , use to cost us a mortgage but they both lived the English chocolate
Old Jul 27th 2022, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
In Australia I enjoyed (now and again in the summer) a really cold (cannot drink cider any other way) Strongbow sweet cider but they do not sell it here in the UK (sweet version) our eldest lived in the south west (UK) for a few years and he really enjoys a cider, personally I think it’s looney juice lol but our eldest said they drink it from birth “down in the south west” lol
Yep, some of us born in Zummerzet were raised on the real stuff! Can't beat proper scrumpy cider!
Old Jul 28th 2022, 12:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, some of us born in Zummerzet were raised on the real stuff! Can't beat proper scrumpy cider!
I'm not a fan. I had it in the UK a few times and thought it was okay but not great. There's a cidery 10 minutes from where I live and they make it but I just find it too strong and hard to drink. They do a cloudly cider though which is just fantastic. I'm happy with the mainstream ciders like Bulmers and Magners that most pubs in WA have on tap. Hard cider - which is better than those Scandinavian ciders which are all rage but are just too sickly sweet. Garbage
Old Jul 28th 2022, 12:07 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston_1
Since when has Australis sold beer in pints?
When I was there it was midis and pots. A pot was 1/2 pint, a midi even smaller.
When I first moved to Melbourne 285ml pot was the standard beer. The local pub I frequented and had 1 pint glass behind the bar which they kept for my use when I went in. There was a big hunt for the pint glass one day as it disappeared from the bar. It was located a little while later in the pokis room as someone in there had earlier requested a pint.

Nowdays around Victoria 425ml schooner is the most common sold beer in pubs & clubs from my observations & experience.

I think it's a generation thing as at my local RSL myself and others under 50 drink schooners, the older guys drink pots.