Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

In praise of Roger Federer!

Wikiposts

In praise of Roger Federer!

Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In praise of Roger Federer!

Well, Roger actually!

OzTennis
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:24 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I noticed that. Other old timers say Sampras has won 14 GS's, Roger has only won 10; Jimmy won 109 titles, Roger has won less than 50 as 'proof' that he is not the best player of all time. A case of 'the older I get the better I was' with many of them alas. If they agree that a player of a previous era is not as good as one of the current era they go down as a consequence seems to be the thinking.

OzTennis
Well I can put it this way, Sir Donald Bradman only played 50 odd test and scored 6000 odd runs, well passed by other cricketers in the world, but could anyone ever say that he was and still is the best batsman of all time.

Ive seen a bit of tennis in my time, thats what you get with a mother who is an umpire for the last 40 years, and I have not seen a player in my time better than Federer. He has plenty of time on his time still to surpass all the records.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Well I can put it this way, Sir Donald Bradman only played 50 odd test and scored 6000 odd runs, well passed by other cricketers in the world, but could anyone ever say that he was and still is the best batsman of all time.

Ive seen a bit of tennis in my time, thats what you get with a mother who is an umpire for the last 40 years, and I have not seen a player in my time better than Federer. He has plenty of time on his time still to surpass all the records.
Yep, I said the same thing, Bradman has a number of batsmen above him in the test runs scored, but he played fewer tests. 99.97 says it all. Unfortunately we can't measure Roger in secs, metres or whatever. I've looked at videos of Federer, split screen, against the so-called greatest ever and there is no comparison (I'm a coach also so know a little about the game and technique). 'Simply the best'. He also has done something no-one else has done already (at 25) - won 3 of the GS's 3 times each.

OzTennis
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:54 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was thinking about who is the best sportsperson in the world currently not ever. Federer is the best tennis player ever, I was just wondering whether he was the best in the world at any sport...
Personally I'd vote for Woods at the moment... You'll obviously disagree ( ), but I think it's harder for him to keep winning like he does than for Federer... He has to beat a bigger field, and they've all got a shot at it unlike a knock-out tournament where to win you need to beat 8 or so people not 150... Unfortunately for Federer as well I don't feel time is on his side as much as for Woods... I don't know how many years the guy's got left, but the golfers can realistically expect to keep winning into their 40's... Woods is going to do a Schumacher and move the records so far up field you'll wonder if anyone ever will match it... But so I'm sure will Federer, he's just got less time to do it...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rodders39
Personally I'd vote for Woods at the moment... You'll obviously disagree ( ), but I think it's harder for him to keep winning like he does than for Federer... He has to beat a bigger field, and they've all got a shot at it unlike a knock-out tournament where to win you need to beat 8 or so people not 150... Unfortunately for Federer as well I don't feel time is on his side as much as for Woods... I don't know how many years the guy's got left, but the golfers can realistically expect to keep winning into their 40's... Woods is going to do a Schumacher and move the records so far up field you'll wonder if anyone ever will match it... But so I'm sure will Federer, he's just got less time to do it...
No, I won't necessarily go for Federer as the best in all sports at the moment just because it's my main sport, I'm quite broadminded! One could mount a case for quite a few other people eg a friend tells me about Phil Taylor but I tend to discount pub games as serious sports but obviously they are, all jokes aside (he's been World Champion a dozen times in a row or so before losing recently).

I made the point earlier that yes, in Grand Slams the field is 128 for tennis which is similar to golf but in other tour events the field is smaller and as your rightly point out knockout applies in all rounds at tennis; knockout after 2 rounds in golf (the cut). I concede that it is harder for a golfer to consistently win; on the other hand I can tell you that one 5 set tennis match, let alone at top of game level is far more demanding than 4 rounds of golf. OK Federer had 7, 3 set matches in Melbourne but that's because he is so good.

I've attached a nice photo of Roger and Tiger (which was a Nike contrived event after the US Open but apparently they are very good friends now and see and talk to each other regularly)

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails In praise of Roger Federer!-roger-tiger.jpg  
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

OzTennis

If you have not already seen this article thought it might be of interest to you.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...7-3162,00.html
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:59 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

No, I won't necessarily go for Federer as the best in all sports at the moment just because it's my main sport, I'm quite broadminded! One could mount a case for quite a few other people eg a friend tells me about Phil Taylor but I tend to discount pub games as serious sports but obviously they are, all jokes aside (he's been World Champion a dozen times in a row or so before losing recently).

I made the point earlier that yes, in Grand Slams the field is 128 for tennis which is similar to golf but in other tour events the field is smaller and as your rightly point out knockout applies in all rounds at tennis; knockout after 2 rounds in golf (the cut). I concede that it is harder for a golfer to consistently win; on the other hand I can tell you that one 5 set tennis match, let alone at top of game level is far more demanding than 4 rounds of golf. OK Federer had 7, 3 set matches in Melbourne but that's because he is so good.

I've attached a nice photo of Roger and Tiger (which was a Nike contrived event after the US Open but apparently they are very good friends now and see and talk to each other regularly)

OzTennis
Nice post... The feat that always defies belief for me is Jahangir Khan's... Unbeaten, in what many consider to be the hardest game of all, over more than 5 years... Although the endurance guys and the cyclists will dispute it with their VO2 max figures... I still remember the disbelief when Ross Norman won in France... As we all know comparing like with like is impossible, you can only be as good as you can against your opponents of the day... Although as you said earlier, athletes are getting better - and right across the spectrum...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Womat
OzTennis

If you have not already seen this article thought it might be of interest to you.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...7-3162,00.html
Thanks for that, good pic too:

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nice post... The feat that always defies belief for me is Jahangir Khan's... Unbeaten, in what many consider to be the hardest game of all, over more than 5 years... Although the endurance guys and the cyclists will dispute it with their VO2 max figures... I still remember the disbelief when Ross Norman won in France... As we all know comparing like with like is impossible, you can only be as good as you can against your opponents of the day... Although as you said earlier, athletes are getting better - and right across the spectrum...
Yep, and I can go back further to Melbourne's own Geoff Hunt who was the 'ironman' of squash before Jahangir but a very good case for the greatest ever sportsman or sportswoman can be made for Heather McKay who was unbeaten for 'yonks':

http://www.squashpics.com/pastplayers/heather_mckay.htm

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:24 pm
Timelord

Yep, and I can go back further to Melbourne's own Geoff Hunt who was the 'ironman' of squash before Jahangir but a very good case for the greatest ever sportsman or sportswoman can be made for Heather McKay who was unbeaten for 'yonks':

http://www.squashpics.com/pastplayers/heather_mckay.htm

OzTennis
McKay - awesome...!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

McKay - awesome...!
Yep, just think that 'we' had Heather McKay/Blundell and Margaret Smith/Court at the same time, not to mention Laver etc.

OzTennis
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:22 am
Timelord

Yep, just think that 'we' had Heather McKay/Blundell and Margaret Smith/Court at the same time, not to mention Laver etc.

OzTennis
Aha...!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/tig...919535363.html
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:41 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was thinking about who is the best sportsperson in the world currently not ever. Federer is the best tennis player ever, I was just wondering whether he was the best in the world at any sport. Ronaldhino is clearly best at soccer (despite awards to Cannavaro)
Cannavaro clearly deserved to be voted best footballer of the year and should have won the award for the world cup as well.

As for best sportsman, there's an argument for Woods as golf is a game that screws with your mind more, and maybe he's at the top because it screws less with his.

Where as Federer is ahead of others on pure talent.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is a great player, no doubt about it, natural talent and all that

BUT

I do find it incredibly boring when the same bloke just keeps winning all the time........

really hope Roddick continues to improve his game and gives him a run for his money!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie

really hope Roddick continues to improve his game and gives him a run for his money!
Roddick has never gave him a run for his money and never will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.