Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Post Code Lottery - Interesting!

Post Code Lottery - Interesting!

Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:23 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Post Code Lottery - Interesting!

HMmmm! Found this interesting in my old home local paper! This was the main reason I left UK.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/in...?id=1439312007

It says:

"Postcode lottery affects life chances as class gap widens
BRITISH society is becoming more segregated by class, a survey suggested today.

The BBC reports that a team from Sheffield University found that where you live can limit or assist your life chances, from the cradle to the grave.
It found that an average child in the wealthiest ten per cent of neighbourhoods could expect to inherit 40 times as much wealth as a typical child in the poorest ten per cent. In some areas, it suggested, 16-to-24-year-olds were 50 times more likely to attend a top university than in others.

The team looked at more than 1000 neighbourhoods across Britain using data on subjects such as health, education and housing.

Report author Dr Bethan Thomas said: "Our conclusion is that Britain is becoming increasingly segregated across all ages by class, education, occupation, home ownership, health status, disability and family type."

The study's findings are published on Monday in Identity in Britain: A cradle-to-grave atlas.

The findings follow a report this summer by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation warning the gap between rich and poor in the UK is as wide as it has been for 40 years."

Now I know the gap is widening in every place but It was so apparent in UK. I find it so much less of an issue here. If you have money here...... it means that it's "your round then!" Do others find the same?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Code Lottery - Interesting!

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow

Now I know the gap is widening in every place but It was so apparent in UK. I find it so much less of an issue here. If you have money here...... it means that it's "your round then!" Do others find the same?

No longer in UK but did you see sundays paper here, yet another whole section on property prices and how much we have all made, accompanied by the usual spread of cabbies and sparkys who now own 11 million dollar homes, TBH I dont think anywhere could be more property obsessed than around the major cites here. I cant think of a wider gap in society than a black person in australia with a life expectancy of 40 something V the kids of those who feature almost weekly in the queensland property boom saga.

Or the gap between the thousands of homeless kids and the prada brigade. Think the biggest gap in society we see here is I am lucky enough to have 2 good mates divorced aussie women brining up kids on their own, both live on less than $500 a week
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
No longer in UK but did you see sundays paper here, yet another whole section on property prices and how much we have all made, accompanied by the usual spread of cabbies and sparkys who now own 11 million dollar homes, TBH I dont think anywhere could be more property obsessed than around the major cites here. I cant think of a wider gap in society than a black person in australia with a life expectancy of 40 something V the kids of those who feature almost weekly in the queensland property boom saga.

Or the gap between the thousands of homeless kids and the prada brigade. Think the biggest gap in society we see here is I am lucky enough to have 2 good mates divorced aussie women brining up kids on their own, both live on less than $500 a week
As a modern Western society, Australia has all the problems and issues that affect all Western countries. The gap between the have's and the have-nots is there and is growing, but it's always been there and always will.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Post Code Lottery - Interesting!

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
HMmmm! Found this interesting in my old home local paper! This was the main reason I left UK.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/in...?id=1439312007

It says:

"Postcode lottery affects life chances as class gap widens
BRITISH society is becoming more segregated by class, a survey suggested today.

The BBC reports that a team from Sheffield University found that where you live can limit or assist your life chances, from the cradle to the grave.
It found that an average child in the wealthiest ten per cent of neighbourhoods could expect to inherit 40 times as much wealth as a typical child in the poorest ten per cent. In some areas, it suggested, 16-to-24-year-olds were 50 times more likely to attend a top university than in others.

The team looked at more than 1000 neighbourhoods across Britain using data on subjects such as health, education and housing.

Report author Dr Bethan Thomas said: "Our conclusion is that Britain is becoming increasingly segregated across all ages by class, education, occupation, home ownership, health status, disability and family type."

The study's findings are published on Monday in Identity in Britain: A cradle-to-grave atlas.

The findings follow a report this summer by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation warning the gap between rich and poor in the UK is as wide as it has been for 40 years."

A recent study has shown that social mobility in the UK is lower than any other developed country for which there is data available (see BBC article here).
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:44 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading an interesting article in The Age (Melbourne paper) the other day.
It was basically saying the same thing with regard to mental health services in Victoria.
Where you live dictates the access you have to services.