Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Political posts from Coronavirus thread.

Political posts from Coronavirus thread.

Old May 1st 2020, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Political posts from Coronavirus thread.

Originally Posted by Beoz
NZ v UK/USA. Wow. Maybe you should try NZ v Iceland/Taiwan. That would be a better geographical and social comparison. Iceland and Taiwan also had the timeline jump on NZ. All they had to do was look.
Pretty close to tugging the forelock in deference to a superior PM on your part I guess. I doubt if the Kiwi's will want to swap for our incumbent though, sop we'll have to make do.

Really Iceland has been an outstanding success in testing population and going in hard as has Taiwan. What I take the stick to you for is your constant heckling of Arden who has shown leadership throughout her term to date.

Question. If only observation and follow was required, why didn't the hard core neo liberalist nations like USA and UK and Brazil follow in step, Instead of inflicting huge cost to their respective nations in terms of death and gold.?
Old May 1st 2020, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
New Zealand:
Level 4 lockdown - little economic activity meaning economy torched
95 deaths (pro rata given 5x population)
7380 cases

Australia:
Level 2 lockdown - economic activity down but major sectors like mining, agriculture and construction continuing. We'll come out of this pretty strongly - it won't be a v-shaped recovery but it will be u-shaped
91 deaths
6753 cases

Australia crushing it without crushing our economy

New Zealand's over-reliance on tourism is about to come back and bite them in the ass. Countries that rely heavily on tourism tend not to be the most successful - think Spain, Greece, Thailand. There's going to be little tourism for a few years. New Zealand is officially a first-world, western country but only nominally so as they have major structural issues in their economy and society. They are effectively a second-world country with some first-world aspects - there's a reason so many of their people move to Queensland and WA. Our over-reliance on Asian students is about to come back and bite us in the ass - but that's a good thing as what will come out of that will be better in the long run for the university sector and the country. Sure, we have to diversify our supply chains in key areas and increase manufacturing in critical sectors but we can do that with some effort and will. The world is going to be a very different place in 2022
Ardern is a show pony - all hat and no cattle as my mate in Georgia puts it. A good friend of mine in New Plymouth was telling me the other day that she is only really popular with white women - white males and a majority of Maori can't stand her. I guess we'll find out in September what the people there think about her. As a female hard left-wing leader, the MSM loves Ardern, so she gets all the international attention and adoration - Colbert, The View, Time Magazine etc. Scott Morrison on the other hand is a white, middle-aged Christian conservative male - everything the MSM hates - and our international coverage reflects this. It's all so predictable
Arden is scoring high in popularity states and well deserved. She is acted with humanity without undue influence of business cartels whom seem to call the shots in Australia, all too often. Yes. Australia has done well to date. Nobody knew at the time how it would look in a month from partial closure date. It could have looked very different for Australia, as it has done for UK and USA who did not act earlier on probable outcomes.
Arden went in hard and fast. She showed initiative and must have been aware of the economic fall out. Hardly alone there though, as all countries will experience repercussions. Australia has probably far more to lose as was hardly in great shape pre corona virus and has been idling for sometime.
No Morrison failed miserably with the recent fires, has attempted with a degree of success to repair a declining support base by acting with apparent decisiveness (although much of the policy was already in other countries) during the Corona Virus crisis. This still has a way to play out so best wait and see if a second round hits and see where the economy is going over the course of time.
Old May 1st 2020, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Ardern is a show pony - all hat and no cattle as my mate in Georgia puts it.
Nonsense, Jacinda Ardern rocks. She's not my cup of tea politically, but she's hard to fault as a leader in times of crisis.

Scott Morrison on the other hand is a white, middle-aged Christian conservative male - everything the MSM hates - and our international coverage reflects this.
ScoMo was excruciatingly bad during fire season, and deservedly copped it accordingly.

But that was then and this is now: during the Covid-19 crisis, he's been a new man, saying the right things, and driving the federal-level response in logical directions. And, letting others step up and deliver their appropriate messages, rather than trying to hog the stage, Trump-style. I don't agree with ScoMo's fixation on re-opening the schools so quickly, but at least he's been making his case.

And I agree with your point that ScoMo's more recent good performance has gone comparatively unremarked, in the international press. Probably Rupert does not approve, regardless of what the rest of us think.
Old May 1st 2020, 10:41 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand:
Level 4 lockdown - little economic activity meaning economy torched
95 deaths (pro rata given 5x population)
7380 cases

Australia:
Level 2 lockdown - economic activity down but major sectors like mining, agriculture and construction continuing. We'll come out of this pretty strongly - it won't be a v-shaped recovery but it will be u-shaped
91 deaths
6753 cases

Australia crushing it without crushing our economy

New Zealand's over-reliance on tourism is about to come back and bite them in the ass. Countries that rely heavily on tourism tend not to be the most successful - think Spain, Greece, Thailand. There's going to be little tourism for a few years. New Zealand is officially a first-world, western country but only nominally so as they have major structural issues in their economy and society. They are effectively a second-world country with some first-world aspects - there's a reason so many of their people move to Queensland and WA. Our over-reliance on Asian students is about to come back and bite us in the ass - but that's a good thing as what will come out of that will be better in the long run for the university sector and the country. Sure, we have to diversify our supply chains in key areas and increase manufacturing in critical sectors but we can do that with some effort and will. The world is going to be a very different place in 2022

Ardern is a show pony - all hat and no cattle as my mate in Georgia puts it. A good friend of mine in New Plymouth was telling me the other day that she is only really popular with white women - white males and a majority of Maori can't stand her. I guess we'll find out in September what the people there think about her. As a female hard left-wing leader, the MSM loves Ardern, so she gets all the international attention and adoration - Colbert, The View, Time Magazine etc. Scott Morrison on the other hand is a white, middle-aged Christian conservative male - everything the MSM hates - and our international coverage reflects this. It's all so predictable

I agree with all of the above.
Old May 2nd 2020, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect we have seen the last of Andrew Forrest's attempts at cowboy foreign affairs for a while, especially after he compounded his error by suggesting the virus could have originated in Australia (?!).

He does deserve credit for repatriating some of the millions of masks that the Chinese bought and shipped out of Australia in January and February. Which in itself raises two points:

1. How short sighted are some of our businesses, in that the Chinese suddenly wanted to buy millions of masks for immediate shipment and delivery, and nobody thought to ask (or to care) why;
2. Part of the (but not the only) reason for Chinese deception and obfuscation was they didn't have enough medical supplies in-country, knew they didn't have the capacity to produce the quantities themselves, and realised they would have trouble sourcing them if other countries (like Australia) realised they would soon need them for themselves. It's one thing if you're a Westerner with not much deep experience in China and the Third World and hear they built a hospital in 10 days and think that means they built an RPH-style facility that quickly; quite another when you do have that experience and realise they built a giant donga with beds in it. So, sure, don't worry it can't spread person-to-person, let's get our parrot at the WHO to say the same thing and are you really going to believe tiny little Taiwan over us? They aren't even in the WHO. Etc etc etc.

Last edited by carcajou; May 2nd 2020 at 3:47 am.
Old May 2nd 2020, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Any posts turning this thread political will be moved to this thread. Or you could always make sure, when heading down the politics rabbit hole, you open up the other thread instead of this one. COVID 19 is a politic free zone, it doesn't care who it kills.
I have no problem with this, but there is often blurred lines there. For example, carcajou's last post, great post, excellent topic for discussion, but it will turn political. And not everyone is put off by a political discussion.

Maybe if someone starts a thread, they could put a "No Politics" note in the title or first post if they don't want that in their thread..
Old May 2nd 2020, 8:10 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with this, but there is often blurred lines there. For example, carcajou's last post, great post, excellent topic for discussion, but it will turn political. And not everyone is put off by a political discussion.

Maybe if someone starts a thread, they could put a "No Politics" note in the title or first post if they don't want that in their thread..
It's a bit like being in communist China here sometimes.
Old May 2nd 2020, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It's a bit like being in communist China here sometimes.
At a time when the only thing offering freedom is the internet.
Old May 2nd 2020, 12:43 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Did I hear on the news the other day that the Australian Prime Minister said they would use peoples private pensions to bailout failing companies? That'll be a "fun" chit-chat with the electorate. 🤔

The Australian Government doesn't have a monopoly on stupidity of course.
Old May 2nd 2020, 1:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Did I hear on the news the other day that the Australian Prime Minister said they would use peoples private pensions to bailout failing companies? That'll be a "fun" chit-chat with the electorate.
Not something I've seen/heard. People are currently allowed to access up to $20,000 of their superannuation, we can normally only access our super after retirement or if we meet a small set of strict conditions such as serious health problems or financial hardship criteria.
Old May 2nd 2020, 3:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Did I hear on the news the other day that the Australian Prime Minister said they would use peoples private pensions to bailout failing companies? That'll be a "fun" chit-chat with the electorate. 🤔

The Australian Government doesn't have a monopoly on stupidity of course.
No, you didn't hear that
Old May 2nd 2020, 3:51 pm
Banned

At a time when the only thing offering freedom is the internet.
That's a good but sad point. Our freedoms seem to be closing all around us these days.
Old May 3rd 2020, 3:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Nonsense, Jacinda Ardern rocks. She's not my cup of tea politically, but she's hard to fault as a leader in times of crisis.
Nonsense, Jacinda Ardern is a virtue-signalling puppet. She's not my cup of tea politically, but she's easy to fault as a leader in times of crisis. Her geographically isolated country required level 2 (maybe 3 initially) restrictions, not level 4. All she's done is crash her nation's economy for a result that is actually worse than ours (level 2). That's not leadership, that's being overcautious and nanny stateish. She's popular now but the worst is still to come economically for New Zealand's electorate and September will be interesting - considering she didn't actually win the last election. I know she's a darling right now with the international MSM - but they don't vote

Old May 3rd 2020, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nonsense, Jacinda Ardern is a virtue-signalling puppet. She's not my cup of tea politically, but she's easy to fault as a leader in times of crisis. Her geographically isolated country required level 2 (maybe 3 initially) restrictions, not level 4. All she's done is crash her nation's economy for a result that is actually worse than ours (level 2). That's not leadership, that's being overcautious and nanny stateish.
Well said right there. Somewhere between what they call level 2 - 3 was the right balance.

I don't think it's anything to do with being over cautious. Over cautious is level 2-3. She and her govt were attention seeking as per usual. They use these events to get themselves noticed globally.

And they still can't get elimination despite saying it is eliminated.
Old May 3rd 2020, 7:06 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Not something I've seen/heard.
​​​​​
No, you didn't hear that
I did a quick google search which returned the following article:
"Australia’s Morrison Wants Pensions to Fund Company Bailouts."
Better your money than mine. We've already bailed out one state airline and it was one too many!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.