Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Political posts from Coronavirus thread.

Political posts from Coronavirus thread.

Old May 6th 2020, 6:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz
This is the problem New Zealand has and is reflected in your post. Its not just about the virus, its about managing and finding the right balance for all aspects of society. Jobs, economy, mental health, etc. New Zealand ignored all those whilst show ponying to the world knowing full well it can write those other pieces off and blame the virus. The question is, if your aim was total elimination, why aren't you still in total lockdown? Easy answer, it was a mistake and that is fine, as you rightly say, there is no crystal ball, but there is a time to admit that New Zealand could have handled better then lying about elimination to get a few headlines in far flung places is absurd.
*sigh* You did not read the definitions at all re the word Elimination and Eradication, nor the difference, did you . Much of your observational posts I find to be a little repetitive, somewhat uninformed at best or perhaps deliberately inflammatory and one eyed . It's also a little irritating to see level alerts being peddled in the way that they have. It is clearly being stated that whilst levels may have differed , the two populations responded to the virus threat in much the same way as each other. They stayed home. The difference of course being that NZ is not OZ in any way shape or form. It is a smaller country with much more close knit interactive communities. How either economy shapes up is in the future . How the global economy shapes up is also unknown. What is known is that all economies will take a hit .
NZ has handled this very well for NZ. One hopes that other countries have also done the best they could for their own populace as a whole.

Note to self: BEVS - You did say to yourself that you would just explain the strategy , the protocols , the reasons behind a differing approach so as to correct the misinformation & comparisons , then leave it at that didn't you.

Old May 6th 2020, 6:47 am
`

Originally Posted by BEVS

Note to self: BEVS - You did say to yourself that you would just explain the strategy , the protocols , the reasons behind a differing approach so as to correct the misinformation & comparisons , then leave it at that didn't you.
Oh yes. Yes you did yet you were drawn in a bit to what was and is a completely pointless exercise. Stop. Just stop. This is not a forum area that holds much real interest because of the post habits of some within.
Old May 6th 2020, 6:48 am
`

Oh yes. Yes you did yet you were drawn in a bit to what was and is a completely pointless exercise. Stop. Just stop. This is not a forum area that holds much real interest because of the post habits of some within.
OK oh wise one. I will give myself a good slap and just walk away. Enough time wasted on what is really a bit - something. After all if you saw someone is happily shouting at a mirror you wouldn't seek to take their mirror away if that is what makes them happy.
Old May 6th 2020, 6:50 am
`

OK oh wise one. I will give myself a good slap and just walk away. Enough time wasted on what is really a bit - something. After all if you saw someone is happily shouting at a mirror you wouldn't seek to take their mirror away if that is what makes them happy.
Quite !
Old May 6th 2020, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like New Zealand
You mean in having a definite world leader there in taking decisive , if not easy action.
Old May 6th 2020, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Not for you I don't. However, I make more money as these new kiwis buy my product. But its not about me, it's about the staff of my clients who need to go down to 4 days a week because some ego in NZ decided to shut everything down.

It's a bit like the app. It's not about your unfounded fear of privacy, it's about the rest of Australia, relying on the individual to load it up.

The selfish have become very noticeable during all this.
But it goes way, way beyond your ability, or otherwise to make money during a crisis. Staff all over the place are having to endure sacrifices during these times. I think it is in your mind all about you.....How are you with the arresting of vibrancy with immigration being severed? Another pet theme of yours. Shame unable to blame Arden for that as well. Reduced means may well be the making of a new outlook to life. Embrace it .

It's nothing like the app either. I don't condemn those who do down load it regardless of future outcomes.....allow people the freedom to decide themselves please, without the name calling ….
Old May 6th 2020, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you don't know the difference between level 2-4 then I suggest that you find out as it is affecting you directly! Australia and NZ use basically the same lockdown level system. Level 2 is what we currently have and Level 4, which NZ was at, is no movement and everything closed except supermarkets and chemists. Given that NZ had little death ship action compared to us and that they are crazily geographically isolated and have basically the same outcome, level 4 was way over the top. All well and good when it's happening but given that their economy is toast, the real pain is still to come - an election year too. An ANZAC bubble is a good idea

She did well with the Christchurch massacre situation, but that's irrelevant to the bigger crisis her country is currently facing - and she's overreacted. Sure, she doesn't make decisions on her own but she's the one responsible. ScoMo initially didn't perform well during the initial phase of the bushfire crisis but he came good. Again, irrelevant to today - which he's handling very well
Arden set her own country's agenda and chose to take a tough course. Easy to condemn such an approach on reflection but nobody knew at the time how serious the virus would be. She done well. As usual quick to condemn left inclined governments, but not a word on the other side that attempted to have their cake......Of course I mean USA and UK and Brazil. Look at the price they are paying and look will pay into the future serving business interests at the expense of their populations.

Arden appears to be popular in her own country from my observations. She steered her own country's path, Australia while doing well, as largely followed others as well as rightly following WHO guidelines. Both have been right to follow the action taking. Not a little luck also involved in Australia's management though. But it paid off to date.
Old May 6th 2020, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
But it goes way, way beyond your ability, or otherwise to make money during a crisis. Staff all over the place are having to endure sacrifices during these times. I think it is in your mind all about you.....How are you with the arresting of vibrancy with immigration being severed? Another pet theme of yours. Shame unable to blame Arden for that as well. Reduced means may well be the making of a new outlook to life. Embrace it .

It's nothing like the app either. I don't condemn those who do down load it regardless of future outcomes.....allow people the freedom to decide themselves please, without the name calling ….
Immigration? I think you replied to the wrong post.

Freedom to decide for themselves. "Themselves". Me me me me me. You have this crazy understanding about the app. It's not about you.

Last edited by Beoz; May 6th 2020 at 8:38 am.
Old May 9th 2020, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

You have this crazy understanding about the app. It's not about you.
Indeed. Objections to the app are not about "you" either, or how crazily you cherish it in the face of obvious defects in its implementation.

It's (currently) a lousy app, full stop, in terms of the user experience, particularly on Apple iOS devices. The promised privacy protections are "not yet" enshrined in law, nor has the promised source-code dump happened, so that the wider world can judge how secure it actually is.

But far worse, the validity of the app's core virus-transmissibility model (15 minutes of proximity at 1.5 metres between 2 active smartphones with the app in the foreground) is at best speculatively-related to actual evidence of how the virus is actually transmitted in the real world.

So, in its current form, the app is a thumb-suck: a nice idea implemented in a not very effective way, which will have little effect in terms of providing incremental contact-tracing hits on the progression of the virus through the population.
Old May 9th 2020, 8:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
So, in its current form, the app is a thumb-suck: a nice idea implemented in a not very effective way, which will have little effect in terms of providing incremental contact-tracing hits on the progression of the virus through the population.
It won't save anyone, but it does give them the excuse to do it 'better', something Dutton will be all across like a rash.

Thing is, someone must have told them all the issues with why it wouldn't work in this form before they launched it (I said them here), but they still went ahead anyway - which is very smelly.

Put the time, money and attention that went into this failure into elimination of the virus - and we'd have zeroed the cases by now. The fact that it's hold around 20 new cases per day isn't really good enough.

Old May 9th 2020, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Objections to the app are not about "you" either, or how crazily you cherish it in the face of obvious defects in its implementation.

It's (currently) a lousy app, full stop, in terms of the user experience, particularly on Apple iOS devices. The promised privacy protections are "not yet" enshrined in law, nor has the promised source-code dump happened, so that the wider world can judge how secure it actually is.

But far worse, the validity of the app's core virus-transmissibility model (15 minutes of proximity at 1.5 metres between 2 active smartphones with the app in the foreground) is at best speculatively-related to actual evidence of how the virus is actually transmitted in the real world.

Perhaps you should jump on Github if the source code is so important to you rather that spreading lies about it not existing.

Again what you write is all about you. Have you been social distancing for you or everyone else? Is social distancing the perfect COVID killing tactic? Of course it isn't. What about contact tracing? Is it perfect? A ventilator? A 100% saviour for someone in intensive care. No chance. 50% at best.

Here you are standing on the pedestal and passing judgement on something which is never going to be 100% perfect, but in fact is just another tool to add to all the others..

Knock yourself out on that source code.
Old May 9th 2020, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
It won't save anyone, but it does give them the excuse to do it 'better', something Dutton will be all across like a rash.

Thing is, someone must have told them all the issues with why it wouldn't work in this form before they launched it (I said them here), but they still went ahead anyway - which is very smelly.

Put the time, money and attention that went into this failure into elimination of the virus - and we'd have zeroed the cases by now. The fact that it's hold around 20 new cases per day isn't really good enough.
Yes, just like Victoria who are gunning for elimination and are going in the opposite direction. How embarrassing.
Old May 9th 2020, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Again what you write is all about you.
In what way, precisely?

I've raised several objections to the app, most particularly in terms of the implausible real-world applicability of its embedded virus-transmission model.

And your repeated riposte is, it's "all about you", i.e. trying to shoot--or at least denigrate--the messenger.

Why not respond on the merits of the argument...?

Last edited by abner; May 9th 2020 at 12:01 pm.
Old May 9th 2020, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In what way, precisely?

I've raised several objections to the app, most particularly in terms of the implausible real-world applicability of its embedded virus-transmission model.

And your repeated riposte is, it's "all about you", i.e. trying to shoot--or at least denigrate--the messenger.

Why not respond on the merits of the argument...?
You keep making false claims and excuses why you won't install the app. Source code - it's there. Stop using it as an excuse. Poor UI? Really. The user experience couldn't have been easier.

You are behaving like an anti vaxxer. Anti vaxxers are both ignorant and selfish because they believe their own decision making is being eroded and make excuses like vaccines cause autism and the like to justify the feelings of personal worth. For anti vaxxers it's all about me me me. Vaccines only work if most of the group get on board and suppress the virus to a point where it has no where to go. Instead people like you are intent on disrupting the group goal because you feel like someone is removing your own personal choice ...... personal choice is all about me me me.

To get back to normal life we all need to make some sacrifices. Lots of things have been put in place as a weapon against the virus. None are 100% effective but working together all have an effect. Some are easily enforced by law. Some like phone apps are not because people may have old phones, they may not have space for a new app, they may not be technologically bright enough to install an app.

You just need to stop making excuses and get on with it and help the wider population rather than yourself.

Last edited by Beoz; May 9th 2020 at 11:33 pm.
Old May 18th 2020, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Political posts from Coronavirus thread.

So Annastacia Palaszczuk. I don't know a lot about her. She seems very rough around the edges. What's with the QLD border closures til September given tourism it's a huge part of the QLD economy?

Personally I avoid holidaying in QLD at all costs. For most part the weather is crap (except in September ironically) the Gold Coast is a total dump, FNQ is overrated, you can't even swim in the ocean without a jelly fish suit, and that leaves the sunshine coast and without Noosa it's also a dump.

Is QLD happy with this woman as their state leader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.