Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

please vote those who have emmigrated - Was it the right or wrong decision.

please vote those who have emmigrated - Was it the right or wrong decision.

Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:32 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: please vote those who have emmigrated - Was it the right or wrong decision.

For us we also give it a

BUT there are many factors that either annoy the hell out of us or we miss how it was back in the UK!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:46 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: please vote those who have emmigrated - Was it the right or wrong decision.

Right decision for sure.
Realised how many british things I like.
Would not necessarily say its my final destination.
Weather is the decider. I wish I could get a job in Europe.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by benlast
Quick addition...

How can you know if it was the right or wrong decision? It's not possible to know how life would have gone without emigration, so you can't compare the two outcomes (emigrate/don't emigrate). Sure, it's possible to say "it hasn't turned out as I thought and hoped it would", but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a wrong decision.

Yours philosophically
b
If I had been asked that in 1989-1996, I would have said "Wrong" decision, but now: "Right" Decision.

Unless of course.... If I win £1M on premium bonds, and have to pay 40% to the Australian tax man, then I may just revert back to my original decision

Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:54 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If I had been asked that in 1989-1996, I would have said "Wrong" decision, but now: "Right" Decision.

Unless of course.... If I win £1M on premium bonds, and have to pay 40% to the Australian tax man, then I may just revert back to my original decision
So are premium bond wins not tax free here? I thought there was a reciprical tax thing going on?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 5:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by arkon
So are premium bond wins not tax free here? I thought there was a reciprical tax thing going on?
Premium Bonds are classed as an investment, and not gaming winnings, therefore taxable.

Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

.....and if you were daft enough to tell them then you would deserve it !
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
.....and if you were daft enough to tell them then you would deserve it !
It's not as simple as not telling them. I've already been done for not declaring UK interest here. The UK tax man tells the Oz one of any income you have so you will eventually get caught.

In my cas the tax had already been paid in the UK so they let me off with a warning. Nice of them.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:27 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by viviennef
Right decision for sure.
Realised how many british things I like.
Would not necessarily say its my final destination.
Weather is the decider. I wish I could get a job in Europe.
By weather being the decider do you mean it is too hot where you are?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:30 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
For us we also give it a

BUT there are many factors that either annoy the hell out of us or we miss how it was back in the UK!
Did you choose Adelaide because you have family there or did you resarch and decide it was best for you?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:32 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Thumbs up from me.
Thumbs up from the Missus. She was a sort of unwitting accessory to all this. She had maybe 1 wobble in the first 3 months then actually criticises it less than me. I love it here, but will point out issues all the time - I think she wonders where I get most of them from.

There is a sense of community where we are and there is a sense of pride in that. It's a good diverse mix here in semi-rural Melbourne. The local fire brigade, creche, kinder, school, community centre are quite tight knit and there is lots of cross-over amongst that all. We would definitely not move anywhere in Australia if we felt this was lacking. One of the mothers left today and everyone gave her a surprise party.

Grayling, am I right in saying that you moved from the UK because you had none other than an agreement with your son? A big ask mate, a big ask. Do you feel that you might escape that 'clause' one day...? Surely he wouldn't want his old man sitting around at home? I wouldn't want to ask anyone to do something like that.
We have been looking into Melbourne have you ever been to frankston?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:27 am

Hi Crazynconfused.

I quite like the heat although its too muggy for me. It will be better when I get a pool. By weather being the decider, I mean nice weather opens so many more doors for me. I like being outdoors - here and in the UK. the weather means we seem to do more and can sit outdoors which makes me happy.

I am torn though, I think reading this forum lots of people are. I am not sure how I feel about it all right now. We have been here 6 years and I cant see how we could go home but I still get homesick.

Vivienne
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Overall its good. But sometimes the family thing seems a BIG thing to lose.

My middle child has such rose tints about the UK its hilarious (he was 6 when we left) and everytime things aren't going his way he waxes lyrical about the UK.

Each country has its good and bad. Its all down to the induvidual and their circumstances weather they will have the balance to make it a good move overall....or not..
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:28 am

I think that is the thing - my children are only 6M, 2 and 3 and were born Australian. they could move home easily enough without really missing Australia but I don't think they would have such a nice life.

I am not sure though that sun is enough reason to lose my entire social network - family and friends. My husband never wants to go back, not sure that I do either but I just can't imagine being here forever. I saw a post of someone saying that there was something missing for them and thats sort of how it is for me, like there is something in the back of my mind which isnt quite there for me here. But I couldnt go back to home either for my childrens sake.

thing is nothing needs to be forever, if I dont like it I just go home. Its not like failing, I am just living here at the moment.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:01 am
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by viviennef
I think that is the thing - my children are only 6M, 2 and 3 and were born Australian. they could move home easily enough without really missing Australia but I don't think they would have such a nice life.

I am not sure though that sun is enough reason to lose my entire social network - family and friends. My husband never wants to go back, not sure that I do either but I just can't imagine being here forever. I saw a post of someone saying that there was something missing for them and thats sort of how it is for me, like there is something in the back of my mind which isnt quite there for me here. But I couldnt go back to home either for my childrens sake.

thing is nothing needs to be forever, if I dont like it I just go home. Its not like failing, I am just living here at the moment.
I can imagine thats how I would feel if I went. Torn between a better life for my kids and missing my family which I am sure sums it up for most.At the moment for those reasons I am finding it difficult to make up my mind whether to migrate. I know it would be better for my kids especially the outdoor life style but I would miss my parents a lot. The good thing is your kids were born in australia which means you wont have the problems with them longing for the UK. Your are probably right they wouldnt have such a nice life if you moved back as my kids are indoors for a lot of the year, which cant be healthy. But kids are resilient if you wanted to move to uk I am sure they would soon settle. It is probably more difficult at the moment for you as it is coming up to xmas that always makes homesickness seem much worse. Anyway, whatever your decision good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:13 am
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by hevs
Overall its good. But sometimes the family thing seems a BIG thing to lose.

My middle child has such rose tints about the UK its hilarious (he was 6 when we left) and everytime things aren't going his way he waxes lyrical about the UK.

Each country has its good and bad. Its all down to the induvidual and their circumstances weather they will have the balance to make it a good move overall....or not..
You have to laugh at kids. I was 6 1/2 when we emigrated to australia we stayed for 2 years. I remember saying lots of things, but believe me I didnt really mean them I think I copied my mum at the time who was really homesick, hence the reason we returned to the uk, but I cant believe now when my parents say to me they thought I didnt like australia and wanted to come home. When, actually I was beginning to love it and although I was glad to see everyone when we returned home, a holiday would have been just as good. My short time in australia is my happiest childhood memories despite not having all my family around me. I was really beginning to love the outdoor life, horseriding, swimming, bike riding, beaches. I really regret having said anything to make my parents think I didnt like it but I suppose thats kids. I think maybe they thought I wasnt settling and that probably made them make the decision to return. In reality I was just getting vibes that my mum wasnt settled which upset me and I wanted her to be happy, so I copied her. But no I loved it as I am sure your son does despite what he says to you. I am sure Uk will soon be a distant memory for him. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.