Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Please solve a pointless argument.....

Please solve a pointless argument.....

Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please solve a pointless argument.....

If my sister had a daughter it would be niece.
But she had a son so it's nephew.
Actually she had 3 so it's nephews.
But my other sister had a daughter so that was niece.
Now my 3 brothers had no kids so no nieces or nephews.
Opinion varies on whether that is nice though.

Call a spade a spade I say.
Out with all the silent and superfluous letters.
The biscut is nice.
Or do I meen the biscit is nise ?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Its neece, and thats official. My english teacher hated the word Nice, said it was the most flimsy and pointless word in the english language and used to give us lines for using it in an essay.He also wore a wig.That slipped in class. Angry man, very angry.Probably driven to it
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

ianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
between me and my eldest. She is munching on a Nice biscuit. I say that whilst it tastes nice it's actually pronounced Neece. She says yes they are nice but they are also pronounced Nice. Her boyfriend agrees with me. No one else could give a toss
When in polite Scottish company they were called "neece" and were consumed with afternoon tea.

In the main though they were just scoffed and watered down with the good old Irn Bru and then pronounced that they were s**t ( or not nice)
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:00 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

between me and my eldest. She is munching on a Nice biscuit. I say that whilst it tastes nice it's actually pronounced Neece. She says yes they are nice but they are also pronounced Nice. Her boyfriend agrees with me. No one else could give a toss
Of course you are right Pen as I couldn't possibly agree with a teenager!!! X
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

neece
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:18 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
If my sister had a daughter it would be niece.
But she had a son so it's nephew.
Actually she had 3 so it's nephews.
But my other sister had a daughter so that was niece.
Now my 3 brothers had no kids so no nieces or nephews.
Opinion varies on whether that is nice though.

Call a spade a spade I say.
Out with all the silent and superfluous letters.
The biscut is nice.
Or do I meen the biscit is nise ?
And if your Auntie had Balls she would be your Uncle

Dougie
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:21 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianrobbo
When in polite Scottish company they were called "neece" and were consumed with afternoon tea.

In the main though they were just scoffed and watered down with the good old Irn Bru and then pronounced that they were s**t ( or not nice)
Mm...Irn Bru - my favourite drink in the whole wide world.

(made in Scotland - from girders)
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:23 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

"The word nice meant stupid and foolish in the late 13th Century. It went through a number of changes including wanton, extravagant, elegant, strange, modest, thin, and shy. By the middle of the 18th Century it had gained its current meaning of pleasant and agreeable."

Strange huh? But yes, I always thought the biscuits were pronounced neece after the French town.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:27 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Mm...Irn Bru - my favourite drink in the whole wide world.

(made in Scotland - from girders)

Not sure about the tipple (prefer Tizer) but quality Ads

Dougie
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:32 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

See, that's why Orstrayl-ya needs Pommy migrants.

You bring culcha to our sunny shores.

And because the UK is close to reel culcha (loike Yoo-rup, roight) the Poms are born knowing how to pro-noun-ciate French words loike Neece.

Whereas in Orstrayl-ya, people see 'Nice' biscuits and think it means noice as in 'yeah, noice, havanutha'.

But, culcha-starved as us Orstrayl-yuns are, we pick it up fast when we hear a new word or pro-noun-ciation by kewl people, loike Yoorup-ians.

So if enough Poms make a point of saying Neece, it will soon become the new posh trend.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:49 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

they always were and still are NEECE Moneypen!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:54 pm

Yeah but most people call them Nice, even though they may be aware of their real name!

It helps that they actually taste nice, especially dipped in a cuppa
So you find yourself dunking one and then saying 'n i c e'
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Has she got the aussie accent yet, if so its noice
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I have never, ever heard them called neese, anywhere in the world. So there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.