Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pimp My Packed Lunch

Pimp My Packed Lunch

Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:46 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Pimp My Packed Lunch

In response to the credit crunch I can no longer afford to splash out on Wimpey and Happy Eater for my lunches so would like some inspiration for my new packed lunches. What do you all have?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pimp My Packed Lunch

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
In response to the credit crunch I can no longer afford to splash out on Wimpey and Happy Eater for my lunches so would like some inspiration for my new packed lunches. What do you all have?
What's lunch?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I've started taking salads for my lunch. Basically a bit of lettuce and the rest is just a jumble of whatever veggies are in the fridge. Throw in some cubed up cheese and presto - lunch!
I also make an extra serve of dinner so I can take it for my lunch the next day. We have a microwave in the staff kitchen so I can heat up what I bring.
Today was patient bbq, so I had sausages and salads prepared by the OTs and Nurses for our patients. Catering always sends way too much food, so rather than throw it out staff have lunch with the patients.
Maybe once a fortnight I'll head out to the local shopping centre food court as a treat, though.

Polly, lunch is where you get to sit back for 30 minutes and not answer the phone, look at a computer screen or answer any dumb questions.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I've started taking salads for my lunch. Basically a bit of lettuce and the rest is just a jumble of whatever veggies are in the fridge. Throw in some cubed up cheese and presto - lunch!
I also make an extra serve of dinner so I can take it for my lunch the next day. We have a microwave in the staff kitchen so I can heat up what I bring.
Today was patient bbq, so I had sausages and salads prepared by the OTs and Nurses for our patients. Catering always sends way too much food, so rather than throw it out staff have lunch with the patients.
Maybe once a fortnight I'll head out to the local shopping centre food court as a treat, though.

Polly, lunch is where you get to sit back for 30 minutes and not answer the phone, look at a computer screen or answer any dumb questions.
I tried that today, but someone pressed the "effing big storm coming" button

Do some people get to do it every day then? Wow
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana

A nice Greek salad
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:19 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Make chapatties and use them for wraps.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get paid for 30 minutes of my 8 hour day, so I make sure I take 30 minutes away from my desk. No phone, no email, no questions answered or errands run.
"You say Mr M just tried to strangle Mr W? Sorry, I'm on lunch. Try back in 30 minutes"
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:26 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

warmed up steak and kidney stew from last night, a bottle of diet coke and a slice of birthday cake one of the boys has just brought in

but tomorrow thats another question.... i will wait and see what Mrs Doug has on the agenda

Dougie
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:48 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
warmed up steak and kidney stew from last night, a bottle of diet coke and a slice of birthday cake one of the boys has just brought in

but tomorrow thats another question.... i will wait and see what Mrs Doug has on the agenda

Dougie
I'll trade you my sausage sizzle for the re-heated steak and kidney pudding. Yum!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Hi,

Much healthier and cheaper to make your own.

The OH gets left overs heated in the microwave at work and I'm a fan of wraps. Most things will go in a wrap with lettuce etc. Pack some fruit too and your good to go.

Thanks

M
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:26 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Tim Tams!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Carefully select a large slab Cadbury bar (400g), whole nut possibly as nuts are good for you, eat in entirety in one sitting. If things get a bit sticky, wash down with a cup of hot tea.

Meal is cheap, produces little waste, is easy to transport and has been my favourite for many years. I haven't even put on weight, so must be good!

Toe Dipper
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:49 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
I haven't even put on weight, so must be good!

Toe Dipper

...but my insulin levels are huge and the inside of my arteries...well let's not go there! ....

Hmmm, pimp my lunch, eh?

Right.

Pitta Pockets are great.... Tesco or wherever, and you can get them in wholemeal if you're healthy....
Stuff them with what you like....

Get wraps.. much nicer than just bread.

Fillings:
Cheese, onion chopped finely, some mayo
tuna, onion, mayo, bit of chives thrown in...
You can make these fillings in bulk (cheaper) and put them in the fridge for the week.
Add some cucumber, tomato, whatever if you like your grub plain.

Chicken, sun-dried tomato and avocado, some corriander or mint.... nice mayo... yum.
Smoked salmon with dill and a little spring onion
Smoked salmon with really thin slices of lemon, including rind.... so thin you can see through them sort-of-thin..
Ricotta cheese, diced apricots and some mint... yum
Avocado and watercress... oh...
Mix apricot jam and Dijon mustard and spread on bread and add ham....
Hummus with fresh chopped dates...
Brie with grapes...

Buy some croissants and fill them... you can freeze them too so buy in bulk and make ahead, and grab one out of the freezer in the morning....

Buy bulk yoghurt in big tubs cos it's cheaper than little tubs and then take along with you.
You can get natural yog or make it yourself if you like cos that's easy too, and add some honey, or fruit to it... Stewed berries are really nice...

Have fun.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

At least an hour every day - without fail. I get out of the office as well. I go into the city, walk along the river or go to the WACA to watch cricket now that summer is here.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Cup a soup, a banana, maybe some almonds or cashews if not in nut free zone. cup of herbal tea. Sometimes salad or couscous, sometimes a wrap with ham and lettuce, sometimes only time for a biscuit and cup of tea. Depends what I'm doing and on the weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.