Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Petrol prices by State.

Petrol prices by State.

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Petrol prices by State.

What are you paying now, Australia, yes I know its more expensive in the UK.

QLD - 123.9 low part of cycle, last week 138.9 high part of week Thats E10 unleaded is usually 2c more expensive.

Again today people from interstate moaning in the servo about how much more it costs in qld

Also has anyone felt a bit ripped off on the amount of petrol the bowser gives you. Fill 2o litre can to line and it takes almost 22 litres, today filled a 55 litre tank in nissan and it takes 52 litres despite the guage being on nearly a quarter tank Asked the servo guy about it and he got all shirty about how the bowsers are correct, umm I wonder this has happened a few times now.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol prices by State.

Originally Posted by jad n rich

QLD - 123.9 low part of cycle, last week 138.9 high part of week Thats E10 unleaded is usually 2c more expensive.

Again today people from interstate moaning in the servo about how much more it costs in qld

Also has anyone felt a bit ripped off on the amount of petrol the bowser gives you. Fill 2o litre can to line and it takes almost 22 litres, today filled a 55 litre tank in nissan and it takes 52 litres despite the guage being on nearly a quarter tank Asked the servo guy about it and he got all shirty about how the bowsers are correct, umm I wonder this has happened a few times now.
Proper fuel - B20 bio-diesel - was 123.9 yesterday.

I have a 15l container that actually takes 17l.

Fuel guages on a lot of cars can be notoriously inaccurate. On my Navara (80l tank) the low fuel light comes on and filling up only takes 70l. On the Golf that I just sold it was very accurate - verified by the trip computer.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:16 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Here is a means of detecting weights & measures fraud at the bowser:

1. Calibrate the weight display on a kitchen scale to an accurately known volume of water. Say it shows 3.093 kg / 3.000 litres because it is slightly inaccurate. That is 1.031 kg / L.

2. At the bowser, place your container on the scale and tare / reset it.

3. Add about 3 litres of fuel to the container

4. Take the displayed weight, divide by the scale calibration factor (1.031) and divided by the density of the fuel (E10 0.735 g/L). This converts the scale displayed weight in kg to the expected volume in litres.

5. Divide the bowser displayed volume by the expected volume. If the number is close to 1 then the bowser is accurate. If below 1 then the bowser is under reading. Over 1 it is over reading.

6. If the bowser is out by more than the accuracy of your measurements (probably +/- 2%) then there may be a problem.

20 L / 22 L = 0.90909... or about (1 - 0.91) = 9% under. It would not surprise if the 20 Litre vessel holds more than stated.

The bowsers are suposed to be accurate to +/- 0.1% or thereabout.

-------

$1.16 / L unleaded 91; Mawson, ACT

Last edited by AllGoode; Apr 22nd 2010 at 4:03 am. Reason: DIVIDE by density, not multiply
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Filled up with E10 myself last night. It was 117.7 per litre.

Sorry, should add that that was in Redfern in Sydney.

S
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I filled up yesterday at Woolworths/Caltex Floreat (WA) for 119.9, this morning it's 131.9, ready for the long weekend.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

The graduations on my petrol gauge aren't linear - I think Mazda put in an extra 'scare factor'. Car takes 30 litres. The halfway mark is when 10 litres are left, the next point is when only 3 litres are left.

When I go for long drives I usually start thinking about filling up on the halfway mark and keep a spare 10 litre can of petrol in the boot.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:41 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
The graduations on my petrol gauge aren't linear - I think Mazda put in an extra 'scare factor'. Car takes 30 litres. The halfway mark is when 10 litres are left, the next point is when only 3 litres are left.

When I go for long drives I usually start thinking about filling up on the halfway mark and keep a spare 10 litre can of petrol in the boot.
1.17 here in the big TW yesterday...
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
If we go about half hour inland to the much less touristy Nambour its around 1.17 too. Used to be cheaper in brisvegas as well, now it seems much the same as the coasts
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
When I 'emigrated' from Brisbane to Melbourne in Jan 2009 I remember filling up & paying 88.9c in TW.

Melbourne last night it was also 1.17 at the local Shell.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
When I 'emigrated' from Brisbane to Melbourne in Jan 2009 I remember filling up & paying 88.9c in TW.

Melbourne last night it was also 1.17 at the local Shell.
It does seem for the pleasure of living in qld we are paying about 8 -10 c a litre more than most other states for fuel.

When the qld fuel subsidy came off last year, fuel was supposed to go to the same price as the other states not ON TOP of the other states price. I am always amazed at how this sort of crap goes on here and the public accept it ( while moaning ) the govt allows it, and the price/consumer watchdogs do nothing.

Laid back I guess