Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perth Road Rage Stabber Walks Free

View Poll Results: What sentence should he have got?
jail up to 3 yrs with parole
26.32%
jail over 3 yrs with parole
47.37%
jail under 3 yrs with no parole
15.79%
supervision and/or community service order
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Perth Road Rage Stabber Walks Free

Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:14 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth Road Rage Stabber Walks Free

You just have to wonder what's going on with the law here at times. On tonights tv news a guy who stabbed a 40 yr old man and his son with a pocket knife, in a road rage incident walked free, escaping a custodial sentence. He could have been jailed for up to 7yrs and IMO he should have gotten a good 2 or 3 yrs at least. What do you guys think? Apparently the victim had pulled over and tried to apologise prior to the stabbing.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Road Rage Stabber Walks Free

When does your next uni term start, KC?

Gina
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:19 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

On the facts you give in your post the guy should have got a custodial sentence. The law the world over makes errors KC, that is the way the world is these days. Australia is no worse than any other country.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:30 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Perth Road Rage Stabber Walks Free

A MAN who stabbed a father and son in a Perth road rage incident has been spared a jail sentence, but warned by a judge that using weapons is "not the Australian way".

Marco Sorani, of north suburban Balga, stabbed a 40-year-old man and his 16-year-old son on January 10 last year after their car cut in front of his on the Mitchell Freeway in the Perth suburb of Leederville.

He was due to be tried in the West Australian District Court today but pleaded guilty instead to two counts of unlawful wounding the pair with a 40mm pen knife on his key ring after getting them to stop.

Judge Paul Healy said references from Sorani's local Kurdish Iraqi community said the incident was out of character for the man, who was generally a polite and courteous person.

Judge Healy gave Sorani a suspended sentence of 30 months imprisonment and 80 hours of community service, saying he had to send a message that weapons were not an acceptable way of dealing with confrontation.

"It is simply not the Australian way of dealing with personal confrontation," the judge warned.

The stabbed pair were treated in hospital for minor injuries.
news.com.au

From the details provided, I infer that the following points were taken into account when the judge delivered his sentence: (a) first offence, (b) tiny weapon (a mere 4 centimetres), (c) minor injuries, (d) no evidence of premeditation.

Having said that, I believe he should have received 3 years with parole. A 7-year sentence would be appropriate if the injuries were life-threatening.

What do you reckon they should do with this bloke?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 18th 2007 at 11:32 am.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Jail followed by deportation, worthless piece of S**t.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I fully agree but where would they deport him to?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:55 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
.........the UK ?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 1:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
"Kurdistan" aka northen Iraq/Turkey.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:09 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

the justice system here sucks i thought Oz was going to be more like america in its punishments but no its as bad as the Uk.

kezx

Last edited by kez81; Jun 19th 2007 at 2:12 am.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:12 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, if you stab a person you are obviously meaning them harm he should have got thrown out the country for it!!!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:41 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
the justice system here sucks i thought Oz was going to be more like america in its punishments but no its as bad as the Uk.

kezx
The punishments are available to magistrates and judges in OZ but sometimes it appears they are too lenient. I wouldn't like to adopt the US style of things, they clearly go overboard quite often with their laws and sentencing. For example, the state of Louisianna has sentenced a man to death who apparently raped an 8 yr old girl.

Now the crime does deserve a custodial sentence, absolutely, but not the death penalty. It is out of proportion to the crime. There will be a battle in the US supreme court over this. If the Louisianna law remains it could potentially mean an 18 yr old who has relations with a 17 yr old could be put to death by virtue that at 17 the person cannot legally give consent and therefore the act becomes one of statutory rape.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 19th 2007 at 2:43 am.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

"Kurdistan" aka northen Iraq/Turkey.
Fair enough.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Perth Road Rage Stabber Walks Free

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
The punishments are available to magistrates and judges in OZ but sometimes it appears they are too lenient. I wouldn't like to adopt the US style of things, they clearly go overboard quite often with their laws and sentencing. For example, the state of Louisianna has sentenced a man to death who apparently raped an 8 yr old girl.
That's not "overboard", that's perfectly sensible.

Now the crime does deserve a custodial sentence, absolutely, but not the death penalty. It is out of proportion to the crime.
We'll have to "agree to disagree" on this one.

There will be a battle in the US supreme court over this. If the Louisianna law remains it could potentially mean an 18 yr old who has relations with a 17 yr old could be put to death by virtue that at 17 the person cannot legally give consent and therefore the act becomes one of statutory rape.
Hardly.

Teenage Yanks have underage sex all the time, and can you remember any of them being executed for it? No, I can't either.

Statutory rape in the case of consenting teenagers is usually punished with a brief custodial sentence. The Yanks also have local laws which consider the age cap between both parties, and this is taken into account during sentencing.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:30 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
they clearly go overboard quite often with their laws and sentencing. For example, the state of Louisianna has sentenced a man to death who apparently raped an 8 yr old girl.
Overboard as in too lenient in my book.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Overboard as in too lenient in my book.
Absolutely, if it had been my daughter my husband would have flicked the switch himself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.