Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

is Perth really that bad?

is Perth really that bad?

Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

helenwilson will become famous soon enough
Default is Perth really that bad?

Hi, since we've been going through the long process of migrating to Perth on a employer nominated visa I seem to have found loads of posts about 'how bad and boring Perth is'. Man in a Van makes it sound like a war zone full of louts!
I'm in desperate need of some good threads about living in Perth. We're going with three children ages 16, 13 and 6. Don't want to make a dreadful mistake. I am looking for honest views on Perth and if it really is as bad as some people say maybe we need to think again.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:02 am
Bring it On

Funkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud of
Default Re: is Perth really that bad?

Originally Posted by helenwilson
Hi, since we've been going through the long process of migrating to Perth on a employer nominated visa I seem to have found loads of posts about 'how bad and boring Perth is'. Man in a Van makes it sound like a war zone full of louts!
I'm in desperate need of some good threads about living in Perth. We're going with three children ages 16, 13 and 6. Don't want to make a dreadful mistake. I am looking for honest views on Perth and if it really is as bad as some people say maybe we need to think again.
Hi Helen,

I haven't been to Perth but have a friend who lives there who says it is beautiful and a fab place to bring up kids.

Sorry it is only second hand info but she is having a wonderful time there!

x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

buffy1968 will become famous soon enoughbuffy1968 will become famous soon enough

Hello,I will reply to your question as I don't think you should be put off coming to live in Perth.We have been living here since July 07 and are still newbies however we have found that although all is not perfect here it is no worse than any other country/place.Yes there are problemns with "hoon behaviour(fast driving,graffitti etc but this is not just happening here.As for things to do I think there is plenty to do if you look.At least here you have good weather most of the year.So I would say don't be put off coming here if you are still unsure come out for a rekkie before you decide where you want to live.We decided to come to live in Perth without ever having been to Australia before but we don't regret it and have lots still to explore.Best of luck buffy 1968
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:08 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

We're heading to Perth as well. We visited last year as tourists and found there was a lot of really excellent stuff there. It's clean - shiny in fact, it's all so new. It has fantastic beaches, lots of parks and family-orientated activities on offer. It is much quieter than a British city and everything closes early at about 5pm, so you will have to have all your shopping done etc. before then. It's NOT exciting the way that London is, it's not arty nor steeped in history but it does seem like a nice place to live and bring up a family. I thought the people were really friendly.

Of course there will be bad things too. I'm sure that it has it's share of criminals, yobs and ne'er-do-wells, just like every other place on the planet. It seems to have a lot of potential though. Don't panic - it will be a great adventure.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly don't take as gospel what one person says about one small area of one city Lots of people on here who live there are very happy. Unfortunately the loud and vocal unhappy Perth residents are very loud and very vocal whilst the happy people don't shout about it - well not all the time anyway . You will only know if it's the place for you is by actually living there for several months. Don't go by what anyone says and that even includes those who love it. You don't know what their circumstances are, where they have come from, what they want/need/expect, etc etc etc. Everyone's different.

Good luck.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:35 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Perth's great. Been here a year and no problems at all. PM me if you want more info.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:37 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

We moved out to Perth 10 months ago now, we brought with us 2 boys who were 16 and (just) 14 and a girl of 10.

We all love it here, the kids have settled into their schools well and have all made friends. Steve got a transfer with work so finding a job wasn't a worry. We stayed with rellies for the first 3 1/2 months in Hillarys, got a rental in Sorrento for 4 months and then moved into our own place almost 4 months ago.

We know that there are problems out there, we know that some people don't like it and slag it off big time, we know that people think if you like Perth you are somehow simple or stupid, we know that everyone is different and likes different things, we know that some people think you have to have low or no standards to live here.

BUT we wanted to find out for ourselves if we liked it enough to settle here, and so far we do. It is quiet yes - but I have lived in 2 capital cities and a short time is enough.

I think a place (and your life) is what you make it, we are making one we like. I am glad that some don't like it, more room for me and mine and those of us who do like it.

Come with no preconceived ideas, a positive attitude and a willingness to give it a go.

If you don't like it you can always try somewhere else

Shirley
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi. I've been in Perth 16 months now. I think it is ok! My kids are 16,12,8 and two of them want to go back to UK for the simple fact that they are bored here and miss their old life-style.
Yes it is lovely and new, but lacks in entertainment, unless you are a beach bum
This is my opinion only, many think differently, each to there own.
I do believe the younger your kids are, the easier they will settle. We have family here, but they are moving to Brisbane after 4 years in Perth. There's alot to explore in OZ. Hope you settle well.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:49 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Hi there

We moved out to Perth 10 months ago now, we brought with us 2 boys who were 16 and (just) 14 and a girl of 10.

We all love it here, the kids have settled into their schools well and have all made friends. Steve got a transfer with work so finding a job wasn't a worry. We stayed with rellies for the first 3 1/2 months in Hillarys, got a rental in Sorrento for 4 months and then moved into our own place almost 4 months ago.

We know that there are problems out there, we know that some people don't like it and slag it off big time, we know that people think if you like Perth you are somehow simple or stupid, we know that everyone is different and likes different things, we know that some people think you have to have low or no standards to live here.

BUT we wanted to find out for ourselves if we liked it enough to settle here, and so far we do. It is quiet yes - but I have lived in 2 capital cities and a short time is enough.

I think a place (and your life) is what you make it, we are making one we like. I am glad that some don't like it, more room for me and mine and those of us who do like it.

Come with no preconceived ideas, a positive attitude and a willingness to give it a go.

If you don't like it you can always try somewhere else

Shirley
I agree with Shirley on this one .
My kids are having a better quality of life here - they get out more, we have more family time, loads of things to see and do. Shopping isn't the same as UK but the weather is great, the beaches are stunning and the parks good for the kids and dog. My 14 year old is a nightmare but would have been in England as well ! Even she doesn't want to go back and came with us under duress.
Life is what you make it - are you prepared to give it a go ?

Gillian

NB read this link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=22

Last edited by sme; Sep 10th 2007 at 10:00 am.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
been in perth since may 2006 with wife and daughters aged 12&8. we love it. don't want to get into any slanging match over perth, but if you want to pm me for my experience of perth, please do.
dom
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by don544
Hi
been in perth since may 2006 with wife and daughters aged 12&8. we love it. don't want to get into any slanging match over perth, but if you want to pm me for my experience of perth, please do.
dom
What some like, others hate!! We have been in Perth over 3 years now, and it is home to us. We also have 2 'older kids' and they also love it here.
Life is what you make it, and Perth CAN be a fantastic place to be!!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Gordy834 will become famous soon enough

You're going to allow your dreams to be shattered by a Man in A Van???

Come on..............would YOU be happy if you went to sleep with a handbrake jammed up your ass???? He's a loser!

Let's hope he has enough money to put fuel in his tank.................and he pisses off to the East........................China, I mean. I wouldn't wish him on Sydney............I go there several times a year and have family there.

Look.................life is what you make it, no matter what.

The streets aren't paved with gold.................but then again, the beaches aren't littered either.

Whether Perth is right for you.............depends on YOU and the go you make of it. Personally, I love it...................especially now that Man in A Van has left.

Hey, what was that bang??? Did he just get a puncture.............or did someone shoot him?????

As I was saying...............I love living in Perth. It's home................and it works for me. You put in the effort and you get things back......................

I mean, I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne, and visited all the others. I CHOSE Perth. I wasn't lassooed and dragged over here.............so just make your choice by researching. You'll be fine.

If you can travel all the way from the UK...............you can do as I did and jump from State to State. It's an education................

What you must NEVER do...........is knock a place just because it wasn't right for you..................like that tosser did that prompted me to respond to you.

All the very best to you..............and, if I can help, just email me.

Gordon
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:00 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to Perth - but everyone I've spoken to who has either
a) lived / lives there or
b) been on holiday there,

..says that its great. I'm sure its got its downsides too - but so has everywhere !

cheers
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:07 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i live up a mountain,,and i know ive said it so many times its boring the shit out of people ...but its flippin gorgeous...

ive got parrots that sit on my window sill waiting for food...

i drive to perth central and its flippin amazing,,,

if you have any concerns dont come,then you wont be disappointed...(nor then will the people who put you off because it was not for them)

carry on watching eastenders,pop idle and coronation street..

pop into your local every night and watch your saturday game...

dont come over here and harp on about what you miss ,pork scratchings and black pudding,and what people dont wear on their feet,stay where you are and enjoy it...

or you could come over here and have a look for yourself then deiced.

you will never get your answer by asking people on here......one size does not fit all..

good luck to you ...

ast

Last edited by aston man; Sep 10th 2007 at 12:33 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Gordy834 will become famous soon enough

Spot on, Ast.

The colours of the birds, the Australian plants.................not to mention the blue sky, clear ocean, and soft, almost white, sands.......................it's beautiful.

That view of the Swan River/City, from Kings Park...............how it changes from day to night................and just Kings Park/Swan River themselves..................STUNNING!!!!!!!!

Where else can you go from the Winderies, the Hills............to the City..................and the Coast for a swim..............in 40 minutes?

We're blessed!!!!!!!!!

Not much to do, they say.............lol.

I keep complaining I have no time to do it all.

Gordon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.