Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perth: Mandurah, Bunbury or Margaret River which is best?

Perth: Mandurah, Bunbury or Margaret River which is best?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Little Lisa 1971 will become famous soon enough
Smile Perth: Mandurah, Bunbury or Margaret River which is best?

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of picking an area in Perth for State Sponsorship and were hoping some of you fantastic people would give us a bit of information and advice!

We are looking at Mandurah, Bunbury and Margaret River as the possible areas we would like to settle.

My OH is a Roofer plus he has his Heavy Duty Licence to fall back on and these three areas appear to have work for him? We have two children aged 14 & 11 so good schools are really important to us. We would also like to live fairly close to the beach. We've never lived in a city so the fact that we're a bit of a distance from Perth and all the excitement doesn't bother us, we just want to find a good area to bring our children up in with good schools.

I hope you can help, any information or advice would be great.

Thanks Little Lisa x
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth: Mandurah, Bunbury or Margaret River which is best?

My personal preference would be:

1. Margaret River
2. Bunbury
3. Mandurah

However, in terms of work/being close to Perth it's Mandurah.

Margaret River and the surrounds is absolutely gorgeous. But work is tricky down there. Bunbury would be a handy base if your husband could get HGV work in some of the mining areas, but in saying that he could do that from Margaret River also...

Hmm - go for Margaret River!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:49 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
My personal preference would be:

1. Margaret River
2. Bunbury
3. Mandurah

However, in terms of work/being close to Perth it's Mandurah.

Margaret River and the surrounds is absolutely gorgeous. But work is tricky down there. Bunbury would be a handy base if your husband could get HGV work in some of the mining areas, but in saying that he could do that from Margaret River also...

Hmm - go for Margaret River!
Not because of any personal bias because Bunbury isn't perfect, bit I would actually say Bunbury.
MR is a great place but very quiet in winter (=dead) and for teenagers may be a bit frustrating. Plus the work factor.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:18 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Also, check out a map, it has been a while but I don't think you can class Margaret river or Bunbury as 'Perth' as such, they are at a push in the surrounding area... which in Austrralia mean they can be as far as London from Scotland - bit of an exagerration but you get the idea, Perth will be a long trip
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I 'think' the OP realises they're a fair trek from Perth itself.

Good point about MR being on the quiet side in winter. It wouldn't exactly offer a lot for teens.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:17 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Just to even up the score, I would def say Mandurah . . . but I'm biased!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Perth: Mandurah, Bunbury or Margaret River which is best?

Hey guys thanks for the promp replies.

Of Mandurah and Bunbury which of these has the best High Schools, also which has plenty to do as I've got an 11 & 14 year old.

Which would you say is "best area" by that I mean low crime rate, good schools, nice houses? I need to pick one to explain why I should get State Sponsorship in that area and write why I choose it!!

We are planning on spending our first month travelling around the three areas before deciding were to settle but need to pick one now for Sponsorship Application.

Hope you can help some more

Thanks loads x

Last edited by Little Lisa 1971; Sep 3rd 2009 at 1:02 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

You can't really compare Margaret River with Bunbury. Margaret River is quite a small town while Bunbury is much larger. I quite like Margaret River, it feels relaxed, quiet, touristy in a nice way and not rundown like most other small towns. Although it would be a good assumption you will run out of things to do after a while and get sick of it. Its town centre where all the shops are is small but quite modern.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little Lisa 1971
Hey guys thanks for the promp replies.

Of Mandurah and Bunbury which of these has the best High Schools, also which has plenty to do as I've got an 11 & 14 year old.

Which would you say is "best area" by that I mean low crime rate, good schools, nice houses? I need to pick one to explain why I should get State Sponsorship in that area and write why I choose it!!

We are planning on spending our first month travelling around the three areas before deciding were to settle but need to pick one now for Sponsorship Application.

Hope you can help some more

Thanks loads x
On the whole I would say much of muchness. There are good and bad areas and schools in both. But neither I would say are "bad". We're just outside Bunbury and I know of lots round here who dont lock their houses still (not that Id recommend it!)

Both are the fastest growing areas in WA (I know both can't be fastest but you know what I mean).

Housing wise you'll get much more for your buck in Bunbury and surrounds but from Mandurah you can hit Perth easy as pie.

They're only an hour apart so maybe both could be an option?

As you're not of city origin I think you'd find both ok as some find Bunbury lacking is some of things we take for granted in UK. If thats a concern Mandurah being nearer Perth can be an option. But if you want to be more rural, on the doorstep of the southwest and all it has to offer then Bunbury's "better".
Similar in many ways but each has something different to offer too.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies the advice and info has been really helpful.
I Think we're going to go for Mandurah but was wondering if anyone living there could advise on the High Schools there. I've been googling and there seems to be lots of bad comments about Mandurah High which really concerns me. If anyone with any information they could pass it on I'd be really grateful, also are there any "cheap" private schools in that area?

Anyone reading this who lives there, if you could give me your view on living there I'd be ever so grateful as I really want to be sure we chose the right place to settle and Mandurah seems to tick all the boxes for us.

Thanks again, Lisa
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:01 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I live in Mandurah. I have a 2 year old and an 11 year old. We absolutely love it and wouldn't want to move - I've visited both Bunbury and Margaret River, but both were a bit to 'out of the way' for me. With regards to the secondary school, seemingly they are poor - drugs etc, BUT I've come from Glasgow, and my son would have gone to the local school there, so no way it can be any worse than that! With regards to private high schools there are 4 - Mandurah Baptist College, Mandurah Catholic College, Foundation Christian College and Fredrick Irwin Anglican College. Freddies is seen as the elite in the area, so obviously a high demand for then one. In saying that, I've been told of numerous people that if you don't put the children's names down, from virtually birth, then no chance you'll get a spot!

Hope this helps
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Kar-Kier,

Thanks for the info, the school situation is a big concern for me. Do you have any idea what sort of price I'd be looking at for Mandurah Baptist College (doesn't say on their website), I'm happy to pay for a good education as long as it doesn't cost a fortune! Mandurah sounds great, its only the schools that are putting me off, my 14year old is doing really well and I don't want to spoil her future putting her in a bad school. Thanks again for the help.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Just bumping this....I too would like to know about the price of private education in Mandurah....we plan to move there in 3wk with our Daughter who will be 16 in Oct. We are coming down to look at what rentals are on offer on Wed (got an apartment in city at mo). Can anyone give anymore info on areas NOT to live? We've been told today that Wannanup is very, very windy!! Or was that just the day that he was there do you think??
Cheers, Lisa
P.S. Any good drama schools?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:49 pm
Living the dream!

Originally Posted by snoo
Just bumping this....I too would like to know about the price of private education in Mandurah....we plan to move there in 3wk with our Daughter who will be 16 in Oct. We are coming down to look at what rentals are on offer on Wed (got an apartment in city at mo). Can anyone give anymore info on areas NOT to live? We've been told today that Wannanup is very, very windy!! Or was that just the day that he was there do you think??
Cheers, Lisa
P.S. Any good drama schools?
Will check prices 2 moro for people!

Don't touch coodanup, Dudley park or greenfields. We live in seascapes which is in the new park of halls head - very nice!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reply! This has been 3yrs of planning so we'd obviously like to get it right! Schools are a major issue...along with work...but we'll cross that bridge once we have a rental.
Lisa,xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.