Perth Hotels

Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:01 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth Hotels

Dozzer, I'm finally coming to Perth!

I have searched but strangely came up with very few recommendations for hotels in the city itself, or even Freo.

The Geek is conducting a training course soon in the CBD (St Georges Terrace, near the Esplanade, I am told) so we're going to fly on the Friday and have a jolly weekend being tourists.

But where to stay? He's been a few times but not seen much outside of the CBD, I've never been. We can stay anywhere that's commutable to both Applecross and St Georges Terrace. Budget is up to about $400 pn but we don't feel the need to pay that much, although do want somewhere rather nice. Prefer not to be in a big, faceless chain hotel. Want a water view.

Tripadvisor reviews have so far depressed me greatly (I think they must all have been written by bcworld) so I'm turning to the experts.

(Yes, I know, Perth is the most boring place on earth.)
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Hotels

I have never stayed in the city just staying in Freo.Hotel there was shocking.Im in the city later so can have a look.It mainly looks like big chains though.I'm sure you will have a lovely time though.Some nice resturants in Mount Lawley and Leederville,but our favoutite one is a Japaneese one in Northbridge.Heading their tonight for our daughters 14th.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently all the hotels in Perth are crap apart from the Richardson:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Australia.html

Don't be tempted to stay at Rendezvous Observation City in Scarborough.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Dozzer, I'm finally coming to Perth!

I have searched but strangely came up with very few recommendations for hotels in the city itself, or even Freo.

The Geek is conducting a training course soon in the CBD (St Georges Terrace, near the Esplanade, I am told) so we're going to fly on the Friday and have a jolly weekend being tourists.

But where to stay? He's been a few times but not seen much outside of the CBD, I've never been. We can stay anywhere that's commutable to both Applecross and St Georges Terrace. Budget is up to about $400 pn but we don't feel the need to pay that much, although do want somewhere rather nice. Prefer not to be in a big, faceless chain hotel. Want a water view.

Tripadvisor reviews have so far depressed me greatly (I think they must all have been written by bcworld) so I'm turning to the experts.

(Yes, I know, Perth is the most boring place on earth.)
Stay with us. We have an extra bedroom, the Geek can travel to work with me on the train and you can have my car to do what you want.

And we're waaaaaaayyyyy cheaper than $400/nt.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:30 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I have never stayed in the city just staying in Freo.Hotel there was shocking.Im in the city later so can have a look.It mainly looks like big chains though.I'm sure you will have a lovely time though.Some nice resturants in Mount Lawley and Leederville,but our favoutite one is a Japaneese one in Northbridge.Heading their tonight for our daughters 14th.
Thanks, irishbloo - love Japanese food so please let me have details! Will be looking for recommendations for what to do, where to eat, etc., too.

Originally Posted by renth
Apparently all the hotels in Perth are crap apart from the Richardson:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Australia.html

Don't be tempted to stay at Rendezvous Observation City in Scarborough.
Yes I've looked at that one - reviews are variable, prices are high, and it's not available one of the nights we need it.

Hmmmm, have wasted a ridiculous amount of time today surfing hotel sites and not looking good. May have to revise the "no chain, want water view" ideas Any experiences of The Outram?
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:33 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Stay with us. We have an extra bedroom, the Geek can travel to work with me on the train and you can have my car to do what you want.

And we're waaaaaaayyyyy cheaper than $400/nt.
At this rate we may well be running between yours and Fo3's!

Geek's corporate hotels of choice are Hilton Parmo, or whatever it's called, and Duxton. Also crap reviews but maybe I'll just have to get over them.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is pretty shocking for hotels. There are regular pieces in the local rag - including yesterday about the need for more / better.

I am on a course next week in Perth and the company offered to put m and the wife in a hotel for the few days to save me the hours drive from home each day, but knowing what i could be faced with a declined and would rather do the commute.

Of the bunch the Parmelia Hilton is probably the best of the bunch. The Continental in Burswood isnt bad, though a bit overpriced for what it is. Though a couple of decent restaurant there including the new Rock Pool
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:30 am
Auntie Fa

Well we've booked the Hyatt Regency (big chain, yes, but a room with a water view) on the basis that we can cancel if anything better crops up, so if anybody has any inspired ideas, please let me have them

Thanks, all.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The only hotel I have stayed in (many times...) is the Parmelia Hilton, just off the main drag. Pleasant, nice bar and excellent breakfast.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I wouldn't use the hyatt. Its fine as a hotel but too far away from anything unless you like the trots!
If it were me and I am biased, I would stay in the esplanade in freo. It's the only choice in freo and it's ok. I've stayed several times, only fault maybe a little tired but it's bang in the middle of free near everything. For a weekend the city is pretty quiet of an evening unless you cross not north bridge. If you do leave early!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The only hotel I have stayed in (many times...) is the Parmelia Hilton, just off the main drag. Pleasant, nice bar and excellent breakfast.
Yep, we also stayed in the Parmelia Hilton when we first arrived. No complaints - we thought it was excellent. Room was very nice, as was room service, breakfast, and the free computers with free internet (sigend up for TFN, activated the mobile's SIM card, and sent emails back to relatives).

Very easy to walk from there to the CBD (activated bank accounts and private health insurance) and down to the esplanade and river.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:06 am
Auntie Fa

Well against all odds we made it. Hello from Perf

The ash cloud moved on - check.
The taxi to the airport booked - check.
The taxi to the airport turned up - well, no.

What is it with Sydney taxis? I've lost count of the number of times we've booked them and they just haven't turned up. We chased it several times, we stood on the street corner for twenty minutes trying to flag one (er, that's Botany Rd, quite busy, goes to the airport) and we eventually got to the airport - 2 minutes after they'd shut off baggage check-in. They wouldn't budge They did however put us on the flight an hour later.

So we're here, and it's not raining - yet. Was wild when we landed last night, so much so that we couldn't get to the gate because the plane that should have vacated it was delayed due to the weather.

I've had a bit of a wild week myself so not feeling too guilty for still being in a bathrobe, I'm on me holidays after all, but we will go exploring soon.

(When we lived north shore we used to use the town car service for airport trips, that The Geek uses for business. We still get them home, especially if we land early morning, but now we live ten minutes from the airport it's seemed a bit too extravagant to book them there. This will now change, even if I am unemployed.)
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your stay, hope you get lots of dry spells. As you saw last night, when it rains here it can really chuck it down.