Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perth - boring or what

Perth - boring or what

Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice
Default Perth - boring or what

Hi,
I was wondering are there many people out there that find Perth to be the most boring place on earth? Before you starting giving out to me, I do realise that it has its good points - beaches, climate etc... But in terms of excitement - things to do in a social scene I cannot believe how utterly boring the place is - for a city of roughly 1.5 million people. Even the mecca that is Subiaco is very boring during the week - it is only on Friday and Saturday night it comes to life at all. As for Sunday night the whole place just shuts down - try getting a taxi in Subiaco at 11PM on a Sunday night - its like a ghost town. Walk through the city centre on a Saturday night about 10PM - empty again. I know Northbridge is a mile away.
How many times have I passed by quiet trendy looking pubs that are either not even open - or are open but empty - this could be on a Saturday afternoon even. If you mentioned this to a west australian they look at you as if you have two heads on you. BTW - I am tired of people going on about the relaxed lifestyle of Perth - in my opinion there is a big difference between relaxed and boring.
Shopping also leaves a lot to be desired here too by the way. Before you say why don't you leave - I am tied to a relocation contract that I cannot afford to break.

Cheers
Xabi
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - boring or what

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi,
I was wondering are there many people out there that find Perth to be the most boring place on earth? Before you starting giving out to me, I do realise that it has its good points - beaches, climate etc... But in terms of excitement - things to do in a social scene I cannot believe how utterly boring the place is - for a city of roughly 1.5 million people. Even the mecca that is Subiaco is very boring during the week - it is only on Friday and Saturday night it comes to life at all. As for Sunday night the whole place just shuts down - try getting a taxi in Subiaco at 11PM on a Sunday night - its like a ghost town. Walk through the city centre on a Saturday night about 10PM - empty again. I know Northbridge is a mile away.
How many times have I passed by quiet trendy looking pubs that are either not even open - or are open but empty - this could be on a Saturday afternoon even. If you mentioned this to a west australian they look at you as if you have two heads on you. BTW - I am tired of people going on about the relaxed lifestyle of Perth - in my opinion there is a big difference between relaxed and boring.
Shopping also leaves a lot to be desired here too by the way. Before you say why don't you leave - I am tied to a relocation contract that I cannot afford to break.

Cheers
Xabi
its been a while since we had a slag perth off thread. excellent. Anybody got any popcorn to share
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

How many times have I passed by quiet trendy looking pubs that are either not even open
How many times lately I've read this exact same thread? Do a search there are plenty of other people who've found Perth is not for them.

Why not plan where you'll move to once your contract is up?

Life is too short to be miserable anywhere...

Personally, no I dont think Perth (or WA) is boring, but then a lot depends on the place you lived in before you moved, what sort of lifestyle you like (maybe you're the pubbing and clubbing type who would be more suited to a faster paced city like Melbourne or Sydney?) etc.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
its been a while since we had a slag perth off thread. excellent. Anybody got any popcorn to share

I swear sometimes I am stuck in a timewarp....!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
http://www.nzmaths.co.nz/Measurement...es/popcorn.gif

I swear sometimes I am stuck in a timewarp....!
thanks Bridie. Sit with me in the comfy chair and share it.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
thanks Bridie. Sit with me in the comfy chair and share it.
We'd best be careful, we'll be getting called uneducated again next and you'll have to change your avatar again!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice

Yeah Bridie,
You are right - cities like Sydney are much livelier - hope to move there next year. Funny you should mention popcorn - indoor cinemas are another thing that are not very busy. Myself and a friend had a full cinema to ourselves a few weeks ago - made us feel very important actually!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I like the quieter cinemas, although only been twice since we've been here it's been nice to actually enjoy the film without it being ruined by annoying teenagers pratting about or constantly gabbing on their mobiles the whole way through the film!!

There you go, start planning your new life in Sydney will make the time go quicker. Visited Sydney in September, always wanted to go there and had a great time but must admit I was glad to get back to the quieter WA lifestyle!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:32 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

How comes Perth polarises people so much (and so much more than other state capitals)?

It's one of the few bits of Australia I've not visited, so I have no personal experience of the place. However, it's amusing to see how regularly this topic pops up. It's even more popular than the 'Where can I buy a four bedroom house with a pool for $50 in Sydney?' and 'How can I get a bigger luggage allowance' threads.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers
Xabi
Not just Perth. we were really stuck for somewhere to have a drink in Sydney after 10pm on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago!

S
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Chels
You make a good point. I have met a lot of people that love the place and wont have anyhting said against it. But it a place that can be hard to settle in and meet people. I guess the fact that it is so far from other centres is a big disadvantage too. Have been to the city that is most often compared to Perth - Brisbane and didnt find them similar at all. I found Brisbane larger, more vibrant, more shopping etc......
People say that Perth is a great place if you are married with kids, but the same argument applies there - nothing to do for young people - comapred to other Aussie cities.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand your frustration but the thing is Xabi ... you're not half the player Mikel Arteta is, and yet you still get in the Spanish squad ahead of him ...

Hi,

Cheers
Xabi
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I can understand your frustration but the thing is Xabi ... you're not half the player Mikel Arteta is, and yet you still get in the Spanish squad ahead of him ...

speaking as a toffee half of a man utd/everton household I can tell you I have not had a good weekend
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Is this a football thing?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:48 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

or what.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.