Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perth - boring or what

Perth - boring or what

Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:41 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth - boring or what

Originally Posted by aston man
jeez,,i have changed my mind about perth its not for me...

if there aren't ant wetherspoons where am i going to spend my giro..:
confused:
Give it to Worzel and I ,we can find beer
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aston man
jeez,,i have changed my mind about perth its not for me...

if there aren't ant wetherspoons where am i going to spend my giro..:
confused:
At our house. We'll charge you to have a few beers if it make you feel at home
Tracie
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:52 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi,
I was wondering are there many people out there that find Perth to be the most boring place on earth? Even the mecca that is Subiaco is very boring during the week - it is only on Friday and Saturday night it comes to life at all. As for Sunday night the whole place just shuts down - try getting a taxi in Subiaco at 11PM on a Sunday night - its like a ghost town. Walk through the city centre on a Saturday night about 10PM - empty again. I know Northbridge is a mile away.
How many times have I passed by quiet trendy looking pubs that are either not even open - or are open but empty - this could be on a Saturday afternoon even.
Xabi,

let me see if I understood you correctly: The pubs and clubs in Perth are empty or shut on weekdays, and at weekends they shut "early". Drinking in a pub/club until the early hours of the morning is the only form of entertainment you can think of. And as there isn't much of that going on in Perth, Perth must be a boring place.

Well, I would say if all you can think of doing is getting drunk in a pub that makes YOU boring

I guess the Perthites have so many other forms of entertainment to choose from (see Renth's and Simone's posts for example) that getting drunk in a pub/club seems boring to them - and that's why the pubs/clubs are empty/shut early.

Gina
(Who is really pleased that there is so much more to do in Perth than getting drunk in a smelly pub.)

Last edited by GinaUK; Apr 30th 2007 at 1:59 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Got pizza left if anyone wants anymore - I bought two so that takes care of breakfast....

Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:00 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Got pizza left if anyone wants anymore - I bought two so that takes care of breakfast....

http://ziza.ru/data/emoticons/pizza.gif
Don't tempt me! Just spent an hour in the gym in a desperate attempt to lose a few pounds

Gina
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

I've helped myself to a sandwich - not been on the forum for a few years till recently, but nice to know that some things don't change.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, a pizza eating smilie, how brilliant!!!!

ginauk, my sentiments just about exactly, never been into pubs much at all (I'm not british, so that explains part of it I think, going to the pub regularly(during the week) is a very foreign concept to me )
things is, I do got to the pub here during the week occasionally, and it certainly can be lively past 10pm, depending on which pub. But on the other hand, I can imagine the pubs are much quieter than one is used too, but I'm sure the riversides and parks are a lot busier in the morning, and people even start work earlier maybe?

Moneypen, I will not be giving you karma in the future if you link to me in threads like this, I can't help but be sucked in! :curse:
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:56 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

you can see x's point,perths boring to him as it does not offer him what he wants!!

i am sure i have upset a few brummies, brum bashing.....i happen to hate it here..

were all different and were all gods children...peace man!!!!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice

Gina Uk
For what its worth (for the second time - maybe you should read my previous posts) I did point out that there are good points about Perth - so before you go slagging me off - please read that - the first post of this thread. So let me in turn get this correct: becasue I expressed my opinion that the pub scene in Perth is a poor second to most other cities, that makes me a boring person. BTW I also said shopping was poor - that must make me really boring.
I DO take advantage of the outdoor lifestyle Perth has to offer - just becasue a city has a good outdoor lifestyle doesn't mean that it cannot have a lively night scene - they are not mutually exclusive after all.
Anyhow each to their own
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:02 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Well whatever Perth is like now I think its going to get a lot more fun when Aston Man arrives (this is a compliment AM - your posts are always great fun to read )
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
Well whatever Perth is like now I think its going to get a lot more fun when Aston Man arrives (this is a compliment AM - your posts are always great fun to read )
I'm just not sure Perth is ready for him
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:01 pm
LIVING THE DREAM!!!!!!!!!

Cameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=aston man;4718460]you can see x's point,perths boring to him as it does not offer him what he wants!!

i am sure i have upset a few brummies, brum bashing.....i happen to hate it here..

were all different and were all gods children...peace man!!!![/QUOTE

PERTH WILL NOT KNOW WHAT HAS HIT IT WHEN ASTON MAN LANDS!! WISH WE WERE GOING TO PERTH NOW BUT SEEING AS LIVE IN PERTH SCOTLAND DIDNT FANCY GOING SOMEWHERE WITH SAME NAME.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:29 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi,
I was wondering are there many people out there that find Perth to be the most boring place on earth? Before you starting giving out to me, I do realise that it has its good points - beaches, climate etc... But in terms of excitement - things to do in a social scene I cannot believe how utterly boring the place is - for a city of roughly 1.5 million people. Even the mecca that is Subiaco is very boring during the week - it is only on Friday and Saturday night it comes to life at all. As for Sunday night the whole place just shuts down - try getting a taxi in Subiaco at 11PM on a Sunday night - its like a ghost town. Walk through the city centre on a Saturday night about 10PM - empty again. I know Northbridge is a mile away.
How many times have I passed by quiet trendy looking pubs that are either not even open - or are open but empty - this could be on a Saturday afternoon even. If you mentioned this to a west australian they look at you as if you have two heads on you. BTW - I am tired of people going on about the relaxed lifestyle of Perth - in my opinion there is a big difference between relaxed and boring.
Shopping also leaves a lot to be desired here too by the way. Before you say why don't you leave - I am tied to a relocation contract that I cannot afford to break.

Cheers
Xabi
My mum used to say that only boring people get bored
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

I just got back to Adelaide after a week in Perth and found it anything but boring.
Thats says so much about adelaide

Back to the question, most aussies will tell you adelaide and perth are crap, not my words but the opinion of most aussies, they are probably not being rude just saying small cites quite remote (OK perths not remote if a 5 hour flight to the next city is not your personal definition of remote) but remote to most people.

Visit first, then imagine how living in those sort of cities will be 12 months down the track when you have done all the tourist things and are looking at a few thousand to fly a family out for the weekend Plus your teenagers will probably turn 16 and decide to bog off before you can say park again dear
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santa

Bloody funny advert on the TV at the moment, 'Come and see what Busselton's got to offer' First scene is a Pelican at the beach, 2nd is a guy on his push bike riding down past the shops and the third is someone standing at the start of the Jetty.

I love those ads, we get them here too, come and visit hervey bay, yamba... whow whoopee doo, beaches are nice I like them but basically how many can one person do? I've told the kids if I ever get to the age or australian enough to find pelicans and jettys exciting please boys throw me off a cliff.

Trouble is the age to find that exciting here seems to be about 40 people here seem to act old very very VERY early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.