Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Permit to build a fence - ouch !

Permit to build a fence - ouch !

Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permit to build a fence - ouch !

Originally Posted by haggis supper
And I can assure you that they love nothing more than a process here. Getting people to "think out of the box", consider something different or change is usually greeted with - "but thats the way we do it here". When change is usually accepted it is then followed by the construction of project teams, plans, independent assessments and months of analysis - even for the simplest things. I've never experienced this before, and the Brits among us all feel the same - the aussies love & need a process to do anything.
Rant on

Probably the main reason I will leave sooner than later. What's worse is when aussies do try to implement something new the screw it up. Road works are prime example. You should see the mess they created in Maroochydore. To simply turn right you have to go through 3 lights on one round about. They're by far the most collectively unintelligent people I've had to live amongst. I made the mistake of buying a house here. I won't do that again. When things started going pear shaped I asked friends what their experiences were and one of the most common answers was: it's like they suffer from short term memory lose and keep repeating the same mistakes even though there are millions of mortgages processed every year. I started calling the bank, the lawyer and the broker the three stooges. PROFESSIONALISM... WHAT PROFESSIONALISM. And when you lecture an aussie about their incompetence their eye's start to glaze over and they go to that happy place deep inside their minds where no one can hurt them... And when you've finished they'll suddenly pop back to reality and continue on like nothing had been said. There's no way in hell I would do any sort of remodeling if I had to go through council.

Last edited by sun burnt in aus; Oct 25th 2009 at 4:06 am.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:39 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus
Rant on

Probably the main reason I will leave sooner than later. What's worse is when aussies do try to implement something new the screw it up. Road works are prime example. You should see the mess they created in Maroochydore. To simply turn right you have to go through 3 lights on one round about. They're by far the most collectively unintelligent people I've had to live amongst. I made the mistake of buying a house here. I won't do that again. When things started going pear shaped I asked friends what their experiences were and one of the most common answers was: it's like they suffer from short term memory lose and keep repeating the same mistakes even though there are millions of mortgages processed every year. I started calling the bank, the lawyer and the broker the three stooges. PROFESSIONALISM... WHAT PROFESSIONALISM. And when you lecture an aussie about their incompetence their eye's start to glaze over and they go to that happy place deep inside their minds where no one can hurt them... And when you've finished they'll suddenly pop back to reality and continue on like nothing had been said. There's no way in hell I would do any sort of remodeling if I had to go through council.
Three sets of traffic lights on one roundabout. Shocking! It truly is an awful place to live. The other day I heard that approximately half of Australians have below average intelligence.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 25th 2009 at 7:42 am.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:21 am
Account Closed

It's a little strange that in the open minded process eschewing form dismissing UK that so many official forms are part of the vernacular: P45, P60, UB40, V5 and for migrants P85.

Bizarre!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Rant on

You should go and have a look at Sadlers Farm roundabout in Essex if you want a proper mad roundabout! lol!

and re the 2nd comment, err... I wonder why?! LMAO!

Em x
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by emelems
You should go and have a look at Sadlers Farm roundabout in Essex if you want a proper mad roundabout! lol!

and re the 2nd comment, err... I wonder why?! LMAO!

Em x
But remember, lights on roundabouts are the result of open-minded out-of-the-box thinking in the UK. Here it's because people are daft
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Having worked for investment and retail banks in the US, UK and Asia I now find myself in banking in Aus. And I can assure you that they love nothing more than a process here. Getting people to "think out of the box", consider something different or change is usually greeted with - "but thats the way we do it here". When change is usually accepted it is then followed by the construction of project teams, plans, independent assessments and months of analysis - even for the simplest things. I've never experienced this before, and the Brits among us all feel the same - the aussies love & need a process to do anything.
Maybe that's why the Aussie banks have weathered the crisis better than the UK and US banks?

Have you ever wondered which country created PRINCE2?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Rant on

The bitterness is strong with this one!

(I can't remember the last time I ever saw lights on a roundabout!)

Permits - I've got to get a permit for my new shed. Bet it will go fine - I'm just that sort of person.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 26th 2009 at 12:14 am.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Maybe it's a Qld thing?

Airport roundabout outrage ...outrage, I love it!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Last time I saw one was in the UK. The one on the M4 Reading turn off took me by surprise as I'd forgotten about them.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
Maybe it's a Qld thing?

Airport roundabout outrage ...outrage, I love it!
Probably. From what I've seen of people with Qld plates they don't seem to understand the give way rules for roundabouts.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:30 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Probably. From what I've seen of people with Qld plates they don't seem to understand the give way rules for roundabouts.
Nope, I think I can vouch for that one! Been cut up a number of times, I no longer flinch.. when the UK visitors are in the front passenger seat, you can probably hear the language from WA!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:54 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough

Mrs Haggis today submitted an application to the local council for us to build a fence along the front of our house. $660, and no guarantee that the application will be granted. If its denied or changes are required we need to submit a new application. The process has also required asking neighbours on both sides to give written agreement, for us to submit photographic examples of similar fences, to-scale drawings, reasons for wanting to build a fence and copies of various building plans etc. All this for a wooden fence, on our land, 1.7m high and replacing the existing bushes.

$660 ! Jeez, the aussies love a good old process that adds no value whatsoever.

Tempted to alternatively leave a number of supermarket trolleys along the boundary instead - as appears acceptable in some of the neighbourhoods I've driven through recently.
Im in the same sort of sticky situation! A mate told me that he is building a big garage without applying and that worse case scenario if somebody says anything he has to pay a $500 fine plus the $660 and he gonna take the gamble! He reckons its the same with fences...............
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's a little strange that in the open minded process eschewing form dismissing UK that so many official forms are part of the vernacular: P45, P60, UB40, V5 and for migrants P85.
One of the more thought-provoking posts I've seen in a while...

Can always count on you to do this.

P38(S)? - Student Tax Exemption was my fav....