Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

People who bully learner drivers.

People who bully learner drivers.

Old May 12th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of
Default Re: People who bully learner drivers.

Originally Posted by chris955
It definitely isnt restricted to Australia but it is the scale of the stupidity that used to amaze me. We went up to Gloucester today on the M5 and my wife commented on the ONE middle lane hog that stood out like dogs danglies. I am still having to get used to generally great lane discipline, no undertaking, trucks NOT using the right lane, the courtesy.
Well I drive the M5 several times per year as we live in York and hubby's family is in Devon and it is conspicious in its population of middle lane hogs, as are M42 and M1. If it didn't make me so mad I would laugh at all the morons who continue to do it even in the areas where there are massive road signs that say 'don't hog the middle lane' (though they're actually on the way down to MK), same as the 'watch your distance' signs near Birmingham that are routinely ignored.

My biggest bugbear is idiots who don't know how to use roundabouts - indicating to leave before they've gone passed all the exits they don't want or hitting them in the wrong lane, despite big signs hundreds of yards previous - or mini roundabouts - durrr just because it's all teeny it's still supposed to be treated the same way as the big ones

I nearly got killed last night - hammering it down raining at dusk, me hitting the A64 and the idiot woman on the carriageway indicates that she's moving into the outside lane and begins to move across - very nice I think, no need to slow further and I move into the inside lane from the feeder. At which point the stupid bint changes her mind (no idea why, nothing in the outside lane) and moves back into the lane I'm now in with zero regard - I looked over and I swear she didn't even know I was there. Had to swerve back into the feeder and slam the anchors on - plus side though - the adreneline totally cleared my sinuses and I could smell again for the first time in 2 weeks - hurrah
Old May 13th 2012, 2:21 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Kid has got L plates. I am astounded at how many people bully, toot and deliberately intimidate learner drivers.

As well as seeing the learner harassed, husband and I have been given the same treatment at times when we've forgotten to remove the L plates.

What happened to civility?
An "L" driver infuriated me today...... or rather I should say the 'experienced' driver sitting with him.

The learner driver joined the freeway, (under instruction) in the right hand lane (2 lane freeway). He accelerated fairly briskly to around 85km/h.... and that's where he sat. No one in the left lane, not overtaking anything but fresh air, but forming a huge queue behind him.
All the cars proceeded to under-take (including me) I glanced at the person teaching the learner and he looked really happy with the situation, obviously thought sitting in the right hand lane at slower than normal traffic pace a good example to be teaching a new driver....... With crap teachers teaching the young drivers, it's no wonder accidents are common and the cycle of bad drivers continue...... God help us!
Old May 13th 2012, 4:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
An "L" driver infuriated me today...... or rather I should say the 'experienced' driver sitting with him.

The learner driver joined the freeway, (under instruction) in the right hand lane (2 lane freeway). He accelerated fairly briskly to around 85km/h.... and that's where he sat. No one in the left lane, not overtaking anything but fresh air, but forming a huge queue behind him.
All the cars proceeded to under-take (including me) I glanced at the person teaching the learner and he looked really happy with the situation, obviously thought sitting in the right hand lane at slower than normal traffic pace a good example to be teaching a new driver....... With crap teachers teaching the young drivers, it's no wonder accidents are common and the cycle of bad drivers continue...... God help us!
I'm in favour of the Spanish system, no L plates as people can learn only with approved driving schools, no provisional licence (that can catch a lot of young UK drivers out as their UK provisional licence is not valid), P plates once the test is passed. It does mean, theeoretically, that all learners are taught the same, and no dads and mums teaching the little darlings to drive.
Old May 13th 2012, 1:31 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I'm in favour of the Spanish system, no L plates as people can learn only with approved driving schools, no provisional licence (that can catch a lot of young UK drivers out as their UK provisional licence is not valid), P plates once the test is passed. It does mean, theeoretically, that all learners are taught the same, and no dads and mums teaching the little darlings to drive.