Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

pensions (not state) - how do you get your money?

pensions (not state) - how do you get your money?

Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:54 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default pensions (not state) - how do you get your money?

for those who receive a pension from the UK (personal not state), but reside in australia, how do you get the money? do you have it paid into an account in the UK, but are able to withdraw it over here? if so, which account/bank/building society do you use? i think some companies/banks etc in the UK can be drawn out by a card over here in the UK.

or do you have the monies paid into an account over here?

something which needs to be addressed soon in my immediate family
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: pensions (not state) - how do you get your money?

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
for those who receive a pension from the UK (personal not state), but reside in australia, how do you get the money? do you have it paid into an account in the UK, but are able to withdraw it over here? if so, which account/bank/building society do you use? i think some companies/banks etc in the UK can be drawn out by a card over here in the UK.

or do you have the monies paid into an account over here?

something which needs to be addressed soon in my immediate family
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hello Sleeping Beauty, long time no see! Well I have been busy. We arranged to have our works pensions (and State for that matter) paid direct into Oz bank accounts. The pensions people do it all the time on a bulk scale and get much much better rates of exchange than we can. In fact my works pension arrives via the Bank of New York!! I was rather nonplussed the first time it arrived! Wondered what it was, who could be sending me money from New York!
Hope that helps.
Derek
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:46 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DerekM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hello Sleeping Beauty, long time no see! Well I have been busy. We arranged to have our works pensions (and State for that matter) paid direct into Oz bank accounts. The pensions people do it all the time on a bulk scale and get much much better rates of exchange than we can. In fact my works pension arrives via the Bank of New York!! I was rather nonplussed the first time it arrived! Wondered what it was, who could be sending me money from New York!
Hope that helps.
Derek
hi derek, indeed, long time no cyber speak!!!

so your pension people just pay into your ozzie account, say commonwealth?
you just let them know your account details, BSB account nos etc?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
hi derek, indeed, long time no cyber speak!!!

so your pension people just pay into your ozzie account, say commonwealth?
you just let them know your account details, BSB account nos etc?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep thats all they need, it just boils down to how efficient they are at organising it. I had no problems with the works but the State, now dont get me running on about that. Lets say it took a while and a bit of effort!
From memory your parents applied some time ago, I know there is currently a hiccup with POPC but how close are they now? Sold the house yet? Medical probs sorted? You just need the Great British Pound to recover!
Regards
Derek
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:57 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by DerekM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep thats all they need, it just boils down to how efficient they are at organising it. I had no problems with the works but the State, now dont get me running on about that. Lets say it took a while and a bit of effort!
From memory your parents applied some time ago, I know there is currently a hiccup with POPC but how close are they now? Sold the house yet? Medical probs sorted? You just need the Great British Pound to recover!
Regards
Derek
their state of play is..........house on the market (needs to sell, please God!!!) and everything ready for the 2nd vacs payment (medicals passed etc) and understarters orders on the visa grant - hopefully 01jul08, or as near as damn it. basically they met all the criteria and then POPC/Government halted the program. hopefully they will get an extension on their meds/pccs otherwise an awfully quick validation trip will need to be taken, which (a) they dont want to do and (b) it's money they can ill afford to spend.

..........good things to come who wait though eh derek? they are getting a little dispondant now though (understatement of the year )