British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Pay as you go mobile (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/pay-you-go-mobile-644978/)

LouiseR Jun 4th 2010 11:19 am

Re: Pay as you go mobile

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 8175936)
A pay as you go sim card.

Hi everyone, I've never had one before, but it looks like it might be the best option for a while. Do you just buy one off the shelf? Which deals are the best in Australia? I see that most are time limited, are there some with longer limits? Anything else I should watch out for? Or is it cheaper in the longterm to get a proper subscription set up?

We had Virgin PAYG sims, and did the V2V $29 top up which gives you free Virgin to Virgin calls and texts. Very handy if other people you know are with Virgin too. :)

EvannTel Jun 4th 2010 1:42 pm

Not relevant to the op as he wants a yearly job but voda payg allow international calls within the bonus minutes/credit
Can be useful for some

Swerv-o Jun 5th 2010 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 8178462)
Thanks, but that's not the issue. What I want is a phone with no monthly fee and no lock in. $30 a year for the mobile is perfect. If I find I need to use the phone more I won't have any trouble signing up for a plan.

You may also want to have a look at the Planet Mobile product from Planet ISP:

Planet Mobile

They have the simplest pricing of any mobile provider in Australia:

All calls = 33c per minute (Billed per second)
SMS = 16.5c per message
Data = 33c per MB

And that's it.

They bill monthly, to a nominated credit card, and only for what you use. There is no line rental - if you don't use it during a month, then there is nothing to pay.

No complex caps or plans or indecipherable charging systems. No expiry of credit either.

I use this, and have found it to be first rate. They piggyback on the Vodafone network.

S

polyama Jun 6th 2010 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8612766)
You may also want to have a look at the Planet Mobile product from Planet ISP:

Thank you, this looks attactive. Anyone else had experience with this provider?

IndieG Jun 6th 2010 1:18 am

Originally Posted by polyama (Post 8611054)
Anyone had experiene with Just Mobile? (15c per 30s, no connection fee, 180 day credit expiry)

I've got one and I'd say they offer better value than most (this is used mostly just for receiving calls). The 6 month credit expiry is the best feature!

Our second mobile is from TPG (bundled with my internet) - $15 gives you $300 worth of calls and texts - hardly use $300, so more than enough.

I use skype-skype for all international calls :)

carlap Jun 7th 2010 2:23 am

Originally Posted by polyama (Post 8611054)
Anyone had experiene with Just Mobile? (15c per 30s, no connection fee, 180 day credit expiry)

I have just bought one of these, as I had my son and wife using iSim which is closing down next month.

Bought a SIM for $5 at Box Hill (can order online as well) which gives $5 credit (which lasts just 30 days, so you have to recharge) and I can port the number over. So nothing to lose in trying them out. You have to recharge every 6 months for $15 minimum. Right now they are giving 50% extra free on the recharge. Also there is/was a referal where each of you get $15 credited, so I will get my son to refer my wife when she gets a Sim as well.

Most of their calls are quick or text, so no flagfall and billing by the second is important. Vodaphone is quite expensive for short calls, but I guess good for just receiving them. Just mobile use the Vodaphone network.

eddie007 Jun 7th 2010 2:28 am

We are all Virgin Bean Counters... except me

the bean counter is only available online... which can be a pain ... but at least I know what is going out when and where..

I brought one of the long lasting credits coz I dont use mine much at all...

polyama Jun 7th 2010 3:19 am

Originally Posted by carlap (Post 8615849)
I have just bought one of these, as I had my son and wife using iSim which is closing down next month.

I'm exploring replacement for iSim...
Trying to decide between Just Mobile, Lebara and Planet Mobile

ABCDiamond Jun 10th 2010 1:49 am

Vodafone appear to have a new capped Mobile Phone plan on its non-contract options.

Cost $20 per month, on a month by month basis.
Gives you $150 each month to spend on calls, texts etc.
plus:
$200 worth of Vodafone to Vodafone standard national voice calls within Australia all day, every day
plus:
50MB of data for mobile Internet.
Costs are calculated as follows:
  • Standard SMS 28c each
  • Standard MMS (Video) 75c each
  • Standard Voice calls 90c per minute +35c flagfall
  • Standard Video calls $1.35 per minute +35c flagfall

Swerv-o Jun 10th 2010 1:52 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8623262)
Vodafone appear to have a new capped Mobile Phone plan on its non-contract options.

Cost $20 per month, on a month by month basis.
Gives you $150 each month to spend on calls, texts etc.
plus:
$200 worth of Vodafone to Vodafone standard national voice calls within Australia all day, every day
plus:
50MB of data for mobile Internet.
Costs are calculated as follows:
  • Standard SMS 28c each
  • Standard MMS (Video) 75c each
  • Standard Voice calls 90c per minute +35c flagfall
  • Standard Video calls $1.35 per minute +35c flagfall

Though there appears to be quite a bit of alleged value in there, all of those call costs seem rather high - It probably won't take long to chew through that credit...

S

ABCDiamond Jun 10th 2010 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8623267)
Though there appears to be quite a bit of alleged value in there, all of those call costs seem rather high - It probably won't take long to chew through that credit...

S

It comes down to how much the user uses the phone.

For example: Comparing Planet Mobile to Vodafone $20 Sim Only plan:

Say 60 x 2 minute calls + 100 texts per month - Vodafone is $30pm cheaper
Vodafone
60 x 2.15 = $129.00 ($2.15 is the cost for 2 minutes inc flagfall)
100 x .28 = $ 28.00
Total $27 cost after cap benefit

Planet Mobile
120m x .33 = $39.60
100 x .165 = $16.50
Total $56.10
Say 120 x 2 minute calls + 200 texts per month - Vodafone is $72pm more expensive.
Vodafone
120 x 2.15 = $258.00
200 x .28 = $ 56.00
Total $184 cost after cap benefit

Planet Mobile
240m x .33 = $79.20
200 x .165 = $33.00
Total $112.20
Personally though I like my daughters plan:

$10 per month
gets:
$130 worth of calls and texts
Call Costs
20c per 15 seconds
25c per text
60 x 2 minute calls + 100 texts per month = $10 total cost
120 x 2 minute calls + 200 texts per month = $122 total cost
:thumbsup:

Planet Mobile does look good for the high user.

But at the other extreme, I can spend as little as $20 per year for my mobile usage :thumbup:

paulry Jun 10th 2010 4:15 am

I've got the Vodafone 365 because it suits my current circumstances but the fees are not so good. Will probably change it later in the year to another provider. I don't like the fee scheduling that most providers use in Aus: Such as call connection fees and costs quoted by the half minute

Swerv-o Jun 10th 2010 4:23 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8623418)
I've got the Vodafone 365 because it suits my current circumstances but the fees are not so good. Will probably change it later in the year to another provider. I don't like the fee scheduling that most providers use in Aus: Such as call connection fees and costs quoted by the half minute

Me neither - that's why I use Planet Mobile. Plus there is no minimum monthly spend - I pay for exactly what I use, so I always know where I am.

S

Pollyana Jun 10th 2010 4:33 am

I have a telstra PAYG mobile and PAYG wireless broadband widget.

The wireless works out at $0.016 per MB if you recharge $100 a month, but you can then transfer part of that $100 onto the mobile phone which works out very well for me. I'm online about 16-18 hours a day with a lot of up/downloads, costs me about $1.50 a day I reckon, the rest of the credit i just transfer to the phone.

shears Jun 10th 2010 6:28 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8623306)
Personally though I like my daughters plan:

$10 per month
gets:
$130 worth of calls and texts
Call Costs
20c per 15 seconds
25c per text

ABCD - who is this with dear? :D