British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Pay as you go mobile (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/pay-you-go-mobile-644978/)

Burbage Dec 15th 2009 11:03 pm

Pay as you go mobile

A pay as you go sim card.

Hi everyone, I've never had one before, but it looks like it might be the best option for a while. Do you just buy one off the shelf? Which deals are the best in Australia? I see that most are time limited, are there some with longer limits? Anything else I should watch out for? Or is it cheaper in the longterm to get a proper subscription set up?

TiddlyPom Dec 15th 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Pay as you go mobile

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 8175936)
A pay as you go sim card.

Hi everyone, I've never had one before, but it looks like it might be the best option for a while. Do you just buy one off the shelf? Which deals are the best in Australia? I see that most are time limited, are there some with longer limits? Anything else I should watch out for? Or is it cheaper in the longterm to get a proper subscription set up?

I'm with Vodafone and they do bundles with how much you text/talk so you can pick your best option.
I hear Virgin are very good too. It depends on who does greater coverage in your area... so be careful of that otherwise you end up getting big drop outs in certain places.

http://youcompare.com.au/mobilephones/deals

And have a read of this:

http://cellphones.about.com/od/servi...payasyougo.htm

renth Dec 15th 2009 11:41 pm

I'm getting my 3 kids pay as you go mobiles for Chistmas. I've gone with Virgin's Beancounter as it's 10c a text 20c a minute for a call and free voicemail. Seems pretty reasonable.

Gems Dec 15th 2009 11:47 pm

We got Telstra sims when we first arrived. They are very cheap for texts about 1cent I think. So good for kids.

Also has the best coverage in Australia if your living rural (I was originally 9hours to Perth)
However any unused credit disapears if you dont use it by the end of 30days.
Unless you send it to another family member then send it back to you;)

However Ive just signed up for a contract phone, as found they have better deals (with different provider).

Gems

silver Dec 15th 2009 11:51 pm

Many different deals out there depends on you usage... few ideas tho...

Look at Virgin Voda or 3 if you do a lot of in Australia calling for their prepaid caps.

Look at Telstra NextG if you spend time out of town or need the phone for emergencies were coverage matters.

Lok at Lebara for calling abroad lots...

You can either by a SIM and phone package or buy an unlocked Phone and insert the sim.

For 3 and Telstra nextG you have to have a phone that support these.

Burbage Dec 16th 2009 12:07 am

Originally Posted by silver (Post 8176013)
Many different deals out there depends on you usage... few ideas tho...

Look at Virgin Voda or 3 if you do a lot of in Australia calling for their prepaid caps.

Look at Telstra NextG if you spend time out of town or need the phone for emergencies were coverage matters.

Lok at Lebara for calling abroad lots...

You can either by a SIM and phone package or buy an unlocked Phone and insert the sim.

For 3 and Telstra nextG you have to have a phone that support these.

I have a phone, I just need the card.

I hardly use the phone, just need to be contactable on the move occasionally and for emergencies. Can I not just plonk down 20 bucks and get a card that'll work?

ABCDiamond Dec 16th 2009 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 8176036)
I have a phone, I just need the card.

I hardly use the phone, just need to be contactable on the move occasionally and for emergencies. Can I not just plonk down 20 bucks and get a card that'll work?

YES :thumbup:

Vodafone 365 day plan from $20 for the year, depending how you use it.

I make very few calls myself, mainly just receive them, so the $50 for a year gives me 300 minutes of free Vodafone to Vodafone calls + $50 credit for other calls and texts.

The $20 annual plan gives 50 minutes of free Vodafone to Vodafone calls + $20 credit.

http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/...5day/index.htm

Standard call rate is 39c per 30 seconds + 35c connection fee

Wigan Warrior Dec 16th 2009 1:26 am

we went for Lebara from crazy johns for SIMs for my wife's and my phone.

Free to call each other, reaonable pices for calls/text in Aus and very good for calling UK where the majority of are calls take place.

Burbage Dec 16th 2009 1:51 am

Thanks everyone, the vodaphone 365 thing looks the business.

iolande Dec 16th 2009 9:02 am

If you want a contract without having jobs . . .

send wife in to 3 - say her job is 'housewife'. If she passes the credit check she want need to prove income.

That's how we got our mobile and internet contracts . . .

Burbage Dec 16th 2009 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by iolande (Post 8176784)
If you want a contract without having jobs . . .

send wife in to 3 - say her job is 'housewife'. If she passes the credit check she want need to prove income.

That's how we got our mobile and internet contracts . . .

Thanks, but that's not the issue. What I want is a phone with no monthly fee and no lock in. $30 a year for the mobile is perfect. If I find I need to use the phone more I won't have any trouble signing up for a plan.

iolande Dec 17th 2009 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 8178462)
Thanks, but that's not the issue. What I want is a phone with no monthly fee and no lock in. $30 a year for the mobile is perfect. If I find I need to use the phone more I won't have any trouble signing up for a plan.

Understood - just thought that I would throw it in for further info . . .

Daydreamer123 Dec 17th 2009 3:06 am

I am on the vodafone 365 thingy, its pretty good, I hardly ever use the phone so it lasts for ever.

Only had one issue with it, when I topped up once it moved me onto a 30 day package when that expired I topped up and it put me straight back onto the 30 day package. I had to speak to the call centre, it took them maybe 20 minutes to make some changes, they didnt know what had happened either. If you can, try to top up online, then you can check what package it is putting you on before you pay.

ABCDiamond Dec 17th 2009 3:28 am

Oh, while I think about it, the $30 365 day plan costs $27 from Woolworths, Dick Smith etc. If you get the $30 voucher from them, and not the $27 one, you may well get the 30 day plan.

It almost happened to me once.

polyama Jun 4th 2010 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior (Post 8176138)
we went for Lebara from crazy johns for SIMs for my wife's and my phone.

Free to call each other, reaonable pices for calls/text in Aus and very good for calling UK where the majority of are calls take place.

Anyone had experiene with Just Mobile? (15c per 30s, no connection fee, 180 day credit expiry)