Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Passport exit checks begin at UK ports and borders

Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport exit checks begin at UK ports and borders

For those of us who travel home regularly..........

Data on all passengers leaving the UK is being collected and handed to the Home Office under a scheme being phased in at ports and border crossings.
Transport staff are recording details of all travellers leaving by commercial air, sea and rail transport.
The government said they were needed to combat illegal immigration and would cause the "least possible disruption".
For the first month all passports will be scanned but only 25% of the passport holders will have their details verified to ensure they are genuine, in a bid to minimise disruption. After a month, there will be a move to 50% verification and by the middle of June 100% verification will be introduced.

Data is being collected on all passengers as they leave the UK on scheduled commercial international air, sea and rail routes. The government says exit checks are "predominately an immigration and data tool", giving a "comprehensive picture" of whether people leave the UK when they are supposed to.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport exit checks begin at UK ports and borders

I've always found it strange that once checked in I don't need to show my passport again or record me leaving!

So, I'm guessing that when I check in I show Aussie passport to get on the flight and then if another passport check show UK one as I'll be going in on that one? Otherwise they'll wonder how this Aussie is leaving without being checked coming in!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
I've always found it strange that once checked in I don't need to show my passport again or record me leaving!

So, I'm guessing that when I check in I show Aussie passport to get on the flight and then if another passport check show UK one as I'll be going in on that one? Otherwise they'll wonder how this Aussie is leaving without being checked coming in!
Doesn't matter which one you show to check in, its the ne you show to enter the UK that will matter - they'll then expect you to exit through UK Immigration on the same one
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Okey dokey, I'll add another half an hour on to get through to the other side then, it's bound to be bedlam.....ha ha!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

There's actually a small positive to this for the individual. When I moved to Australia on my Australian citizenship the medicare or private health people tried to sting me for the full fee saying I'd never paid for private health care over the age of 30. To prove I never lived in the country in this time I needed to prove that I had entered and exited Oz in this time. Immigration were able to pull all my records of entering and exiting Oz. Done deal.

So if you ever need to prove when you exited and entered the UK, it will be on file. Small grace I know but there is a positive
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
For those of us who travel home regularly..........

The government said they were needed to combat illegal immigration and would cause the "least possible disruption".
For the first month all passports will be scanned but only 25% of the passport holders will have their details verified to ensure they are genuine, in a bid to minimise disruption. After a month, there will be a move to 50% verification and by the middle of June 100% verification will be introduced.
Can't quite see how phasing it in changes the disruption effects except marginally as they get used to it - 100% causes a certain amount whether it's in the first or twelvth month, surely?
Old Apr 17th 2015, 4:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there's method in the madness, but it's not going to help to apprehend those staying in the country illegally - they're hardly likely to front up at an airport with passport in hand.

Still, more stats for the Tories to hammer people with, I suppose
Old Apr 17th 2015, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Does this come with form filling? Happy to have a quick scan of the passport but form filling drives me nuts when I fly OS from Sydney.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Does this come with form filling? Happy to have a quick scan of the passport but form filling drives me nuts when I fly OS from Sydney.
No, just a passport scan from what I can make out.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 9:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
No, just a passport scan from what I can make out.
From what has been on UK TV, it's a simple passport scan and check of the database, really they are looking for people who have overstayed their visa and people using dodgy passports as the dodgy ones will not be in the database.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
From what has been on UK TV, it's a simple passport scan and check of the database, really they are looking for people who have overstayed their visa and people using dodgy passports as the dodgy ones will not be in the database.
Thank your lucky stars. In Oz we need to fill out a boring form. Tedious stuff.