Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Which Party Will Win The 2010 UK General Election?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who will win?
Labour Party
13.95%
Conservative Party
58.14%
Liberal Democrats Party
6.98%
UK Independence Party
2.33%
Green Party
0%
British National Party
9.30%
Plaid Cymru Party
4.65%
Other Political Party
4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Which Party Will Win The 2010 UK General Election?

Old May 1st 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Which Party Will Win The 2010 UK General Election?

My instincts[never a good guide,but...]is that the pundits and the poll takers are in for a shock.For what its worth I will say the Cons',but by a narrow margin.People are very deeply disillusioned with all of them---the attitude seems to be a curse on all your houses--but who is the least worse.Perhaps the most interesting thing may be how well the non-mainstream parties do[eg UKIP,BNP].They represent a powerful undercurrent of disencharntment with the status quo of political correctness etc
Old May 1st 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Party Will Win The 2010 UK General Election?

Whoever gets in should change the system so the bias that gives Labour more seats with a lower percentage of votes polled, is removed.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Which Party Will Win The 2010 UK General Election?

Many would agree with Nedkelly[me among them].Also reduce the number of MP's by a quarter--but much larger constituencies of course.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Can you get number crunching and tell us why
According to the poll results...
12.50% think that the British National Party will Win the election
6.25% think that the Plaid Cymru Party will Win the election
6.25% think that some other party (other than those listed in the poll question) will Win the election.

The %'s have changed since earlier, now only 25%

Old May 1st 2010, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

I can see UKIP and the BNP getting quite a few votes--but very widely spread.Either way it will be a real shock to mainstream parties to realize how disillusioned and fractured the electorate has become.The old allegiences are dying and passing--I think we may be in for a period of turmoil and change and the established order are in for a shock
Old May 1st 2010, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Whoever gets in should change the system so the bias that gives Labour more seats with a lower percentage of votes polled, is removed.
The same thing happens here, there have been two elections that I am aware of, that looked like this:
5,630,409 Australian Labor Party 50.98 %
5,413,431 Liberal/Nationals 49.02 %
and the Liberals Won, with 53% of the seats.

The other one had the Liberals with more votes, but the ALP won.
51.1% Lib/Nationals
49.9% ALP
and the ALP Won with 52.7% of the seats

Old May 1st 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
6.25% think that some other party (other than those listed in the poll question) will Win the election.

I hope they're gamblers, the odds (and likelyhood) of any of the above are about the same as Elvis arrving at the local chipshop riding Shergar.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Funny that--I've just seen a chap in a luminous suit and slick back hair leading a horse down the street!!!!
Old May 1st 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching the odds on betfair (I'm not much of a gambler but its a good guage of opinion). Until today a HP was fav but the Tories have just taken the lead, I'd trust the odds more than an opinion poll, but there's a few days left.

BTW if anyone thinks Labour can win they're 55-1!
Old May 1st 2010, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that only 2 people think that Labour may pull it off so far.

Ok...maybe it's not that surprising.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 2nd 2010 at 12:00 am.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm surprised that only 2 people think that Labour may pull it off so far.

Ok...maybe it's not that surprising.
We are looking at the results from people who have left the UK, or are trying to.....

Old May 2nd 2010, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The same thing happens here, there have been two elections that I am aware of, that looked like this:
5,630,409 Australian Labor Party 50.98 %
5,413,431 Liberal/Nationals 49.02 %
and the Liberals Won, with 53% of the seats.

The other one had the Liberals with more votes, but the ALP won.
51.1% Lib/Nationals
49.9% ALP
and the ALP Won with 52.7% of the seats

I think UK system is a lot more biased than that unfortunately.

According to the BBC seat calculator thing, if say Conservatives get 36% and Labour 30% then they end up with much the same number of seats.

But if Labour got 36% and Conservatives 30%, then Labour has a landslide and would be predicted to get more than twice the number of seats as conservatives.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

According to the BBC seat calculator thing, if say Conservatives get 36% and Labour 30% then they end up with much the same number of seats.

But if Labour got 36% and Conservatives 30%, then Labour has a landslide and would be predicted to get more than twice the number of seats as conservatives.

Is that only because Labour is the ruling party at present i.e. the balance shifts in favour of the ruling party?
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Is that only because Labour is the ruling party at present i.e. the balance shifts in favour of the ruling party?
I must confess I am not sure if there is an advantage to the ruling party or not.

I thought it was mainly because the constituency sizes are smaller in inner cities and Labour heartlands so they get more seats for their share of the vote.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Queensland Election 2001

Labor got 1,007,737 votes and 66 seats (48.93% of the vote, but 74.2% of the seats)
Liberal 294,968 votes and 3 seats (14.32% of the vote, but 3.4% of the seats)
National 291,605 votes and 12 seats (14.16% of the vote, but 13.5% of the seats)
One Nation 179,076 votes and 3 seats (8.69% of the vote, but 3.4% of the seats)
Independent 177,334 and 5 seats (8.61% of the vote, but 5.6% of the seats)

Two points to this result:
  • Labour had 3 times the votes as Liberal, but got 22 times the number of seats.
  • Liberal and National had about the same number of votes, but one party had 4 times the number of seats as the other.

True Proportional representation would have given us, out of the 89 seats:
43 Labor
13 Liberal
13 National
8 One Nation
8 Independent
2 Greens
2 City Country Alliance
Politics isn't fair wherever we are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.