Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parents pulling kids out of private schools

Parents pulling kids out of private schools

Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents pulling kids out of private schools

Back on topic.

Yes some parents have pulled their kids out in Perth. I think this will turn into more than a trickle over the next 6 months.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:39 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Here here...

Originally Posted by RenShen
I am sorry but I can't accept your argument even if you keep repeating it. If you live in an area where the state schools are really dreadful (as I did when I was 11) and you can afford to send your child to a private school with a good level of discipline and results (as my parents did) then its a no brainer. My parents did not waste their money. They spent it on giving me the best education that they could find in our local area.

I also can't agree that "dumbing down" means that kids will pass exams regardless of which school they go to. If lessons are distrupted by violent kids that the teachers are too scared to tackle and kids who try to pay attention are ridiculed and outcast by the others in the class then it will be much more difficult for them to achieve good results at the end of their time at that school.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:25 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RenShen
I am sorry but I can't accept your argument even if you keep repeating it. If you live in an area where the state schools are really dreadful (as I did when I was 11) and you can afford to send your child to a private school with a good level of discipline and results (as my parents did) then its a no brainer. My parents did not waste their money. They spent it on giving me the best education that they could find in our local area.

I also can't agree that "dumbing down" means that kids will pass exams regardless of which school they go to. If lessons are distrupted by violent kids that the teachers are too scared to tackle and kids who try to pay attention are ridiculed and outcast by the others in the class then it will be much more difficult for them to achieve good results at the end of their time at that school.
I remember a lot of cowardly parents in our area who's kids attended the same Primary school as my kids and wouldn't send them to the local comp because of its bad reputation and ofsted report so sent them to comps elsewhere. It didn't make a scrap of difference. The thick kids remained thick and got poor GCSEs (those who stayed the distance) and the cleverer kids did well.

To put it in context as to how easy GCSEs are I'll tell you a little story. My daughter was kicked out of German set 1 (for alleged misbehaviour) in year 9 and sent down to set 2 where they didn't even bother doing GCSE. Unfortunately she couldn't transfer and do French as it clashed with other subjects. It ended up that I taught her French at home and she took the GCSE exam in year 10 (a year early) and passed with a B. I couldn't believe how much standards had fallen. There was no neccessity to learn all the tenses (imperfect, perfect, conditional that I had known at o'level, to say nothing of the preceding direct object).

I deserve credit for sticking with principles and sending my kids to the local comp and through them levering up standards in that school so in the course of time others chose to send their kids there so that it is now oversubscribed, and my 3 kids achieved good results without copping out by going to some namby pamby private school or a "better" comp.

Last edited by Assegai; Nov 4th 2008 at 7:26 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:32 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Rubbish - the exams are not easy. Ask any 'child' who is doing A levels how easy they are. I think more and more children are having to do A levels or Aus equivalent as the work force demands at least this level of education and in fact a lot demand a degree. Most employers first look at highest level of education and then once they have been sorted they look at the rest of the application for the selection process and for some, yes this does include the school you went to.

IMO not all schools deliver the goods and like many others on here if I had children and lived in an area where the state system wasn't good enough or didn't fit in with my childs needs then I would pay for private. No questions asked.

Yes you will always get kids who excel no matter what their teaching and/or surroundings are, but they are few and far between. Most kids from poor inner city areas with poor schooling do not go on to achieve as much as they could/would have done if the surroundings and schooling were different.
As has been pointed out already, they're an absolute doddle.

Nowadays there is a 97% pass rate and with the module make up of exam where they're taken in bite sized chunks and retaken if the results aren't good enough, it's a complete joke.

Back in the 70s (when I was a student) Oxbridge took students who didn't always get 3 A grades. Nowadays even the redbrick universities insist on 3 A grades for most of their courses.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
I remember a lot of cowardly parents in our area who's kids attended the same Primary school as my kids and wouldn't send them to the local comp because of its bad reputation and ofsted report so sent them to comps elsewhere. It didn't make a scrap of difference. The thick kids remained thick and got poor GCSEs (those who stayed the distance) and the cleverer kids did well.

To put it in context as to how easy GCSEs are I'll tell you a little story. My daughter was kicked out of German set 1 (for alleged misbehaviour) in year 9 and sent down to set 2 where they didn't even bother doing GCSE. Unfortunately she couldn't transfer and do French as it clashed with other subjects. It ended up that I taught her French at home and she took the GCSE exam in year 10 (a year early) and passed with a B. I couldn't believe how much standards had fallen. There was no neccessity to learn all the tenses (imperfect, perfect, conditional that I had known at o'level, to say nothing of the preceding direct object).

I deserve credit for sticking with principles and sending my kids to the local comp and through them levering up standards in that school so in the course of time others chose to send their kids there so that it is now oversubscribed, and my 3 kids achieved good results without copping out by going to some namby pamby private school or a "better" comp.
Insufferable.
Your judgment that the other parents are "cowardly" says more about your attitudes than theirs.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Peatbog Faerie will become famous soon enough

I have been reading all these posts on here and cant believe how opinionated some people are
Each parent has the right to send their children where they want ie Public/Private or State schools.
Each Parent feels they are doing the right thing for them and their children why not leave it at that? its the same in all walks sometimes its better to agree to disagree
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Well put.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people will argue as to the best way of opening a paper bag

My girls go to state school simply because we decided we were happy with the school we chose and didn't look at Private, this was possibly also because we were in the UK frame of mind about Private ie 'not for people like us with our financial position'. Now we know how reasonable it is, our decision remains the same because we're happy with the school.

I work in the school. I'll keep an eye out for new students in January who've come from the Private sector.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

If lessons are distrupted by violent kids that the teachers are too scared to tackle and kids

Speaking from a teaching perspective - it is not a case of being 'scared'. I was assaulted twice by a year 8 boy (I wasn't afraid of him).

Explain 'how' teachers should 'tackle' please. Teachers have to follow very strict guidelines on how to deal with such behavior, unfortunately this doesn't allow for teachers to 'slap' the little B****ds......I only wish it did.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Some people will argue as to the best way of opening a paper bag
On that subject, I think that it is best done by .....

Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
On that subject, I think that it is best done by .....
You are sooo wrong :curse:
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
They might not be 'easy' but many people in education (including a number of heads of high-fee independent schools) believe that they are easier than 20 or 30 years ago.
It's not just the concepts which are thought to be easier but the number of times students can actually attempt the exams, the amount of coursework available and as someone said earlier, the number of soft A levels e.g Media Studies available.

Ha ha ...I taught A level Language and Lit and also taught the SOFT A Level Media as a second subject....

One was dryer, one was more current...academically speaking as an examiner in both subjects, they were equal....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rabsody
Can I just say in response to your second quote up there ... what the hell is wrong with learning for pure pleasure instead of academic excellence? Surely that's the point. No wonder there are so many miserable lawyers, accountants etc wasting their lives doing something they loathe. Surely you are a hell of a lot more likely to achieve academic excellence if you are studying for pleasure?

I agree....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Peatbog Faerie
I have been reading all these posts on here and cant believe how opinionated some people are
Each parent has the right to send their children where they want ie Public/Private or State schools.
Each Parent feels they are doing the right thing for them and their children why not leave it at that? its the same in all walks sometimes its better to agree to disagree
A parent doesn't have the "right" to send his/her child to an independent school if he can't pay the fees.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Assegai
A parent doesn't have the "right" to send his/her child to an independent school if he can't pay the fees.
What's your beef? Really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.