Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Paracetamol and nosebleeds.

Paracetamol and nosebleeds.

Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:31 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paracetamol and nosebleeds.

I am concerned my thirteen year old step-son is having a lot of nosebleeds lately... and when putting laundry away, discovered a pack of paracetamol in his drawer.

Though I am not aware of him having been in any pain, I assume these were provided by his Mother.

I have always thought paracetamol was a fairly safe medicine, but am just wondering if anyone can please tell me if they know of any proven connection between paracetamol use and nosebleeds?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paracetamol and nosebleeds.

It is a possible side effect. However it could also just be 'one of those things' A couple of kids I know suddenly started getting nose bleeds as a teen. Lasted a couple of years and then stopped again. Not sure anyone should be handing a 13 year old their own packet of pain relief. I'd get to the bottom of that one.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:41 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It is a possible side effect. However it could also just be 'one of those things' A couple of kids I know suddenly started getting nose bleeds as a teen. Lasted a couple of years and then stopped again. Not sure anyone should be handing a 13 year old their own packet of pain relief. I'd get to the bottom of that one.
Yes, it strikes me as unusual. We have paracetamol here if he needs it.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Yes, it strikes me as unusual. We have paracetamol here if he needs it.
Mum sounds as though she could be a slight fruit loop - possibly.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:49 pm
Not actually a squirrel

Mum sounds as though she could be a slight fruit loop - possibly.
Is there a rocking in the corner emoticon yet?

(I need it.)
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Are we talking full on nosebleeds running down his face, spashing onto his t shirt... Or I've had me finger stuck up my nose scratching and there is a trace of blood on the tissue type

TBH If its the former I would be inclined to take him to the GP for a work up... Bloods etc.

Have you spoken to him about them yet?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:15 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by eddie007
Are we talking full on nosebleeds running down his face, spashing onto his t shirt... Or I've had me finger stuck up my nose scratching and there is a trace of blood on the tissue type

TBH If its the former I would be inclined to take him to the GP for a work up... Bloods etc.

Have you spoken to him about them yet?
Yes, we're talking shirt/bed/towel splashers. He pretty well woke up with one this morning.

My own had them when young, but seems to have outgrown them. I'm concerned these seem to be late onset (at 13) and becoming more frequent.

It is delicate dealing with someone else's kids, but I have also recently noticed a large mole on the sole of his foot, so might do a double whammy visit to the doc.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Yes, we're talking shirt/bed/towel splashers. He pretty well woke up with one this morning.

My own had them when young, but seems to have outgrown them. I'm concerned these seem to be late onset (at 13) and becoming more frequent.

It is delicate dealing with someone else's kids, but I have also recently noticed a large mole on the sole of his foot, so might do a double whammy visit to the doc.
I think if you are the main carer (with his dad) then with health concerns you have to do what you'd do with your own. Can't pussy foot around disgruntled exes when it comes to health.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I have always thought paracetamol was a fairly safe medicine
Not in extremely high doses - it can cause permanent liver damage.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:09 am
Not actually a squirrel

I think if you are the main carer (with his dad) then with health concerns you have to do what you'd do with your own. Can't pussy foot around disgruntled exes when it comes to health.
Agree. The care is a newly acquired 50/50 arrangement, after a very long struggle. Only discovered the paracetamol today, so will tell OH tonight, but he may not want to rock the boat unless it's vital.

I might be more proactive, health-wise, than him or his ex... though she does like to have her kids to the chiropractor every fortnight.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:13 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree. The care is a newly acquired 50/50 arrangement, after a very long struggle. Only discovered the paracetamol today, so will tell OH tonight, but he may not want to rock the boat unless it's vital.

I might be more proactive, health-wise, than him or his ex... though she does like to have her kids to the chiropractor every fortnight.
Probably what's giving him nosebleeds!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

I dont mean to be controversial are the tablets inside actually paracetamol.

Hopefully its just a packet he wanted for a headache or something. I think I would be making sure though.

Teenagers! luckily they grow up!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether its your kid of only half yours I would take him to the GP ... Even a weak blood vessel in the nose may need attention... And no doubt you are worried about way more sinister things than that...

Put your mind at rest and make an appointment
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:38 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
I dont mean to be controversial are the tablets inside actually paracetamol.

Hopefully its just a packet he wanted for a headache or something. I think I would be making sure though.

Teenagers! luckily they grow up!
Yes, definately... thank-goodness.

Not sure what are in Mummy's mixed vitamins though... but he doesn't take them.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:39 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by eddie007
Whether its your kid of only half yours I would take him to the GP ... Even a weak blood vessel in the nose may need attention... And no doubt you are worried about way more sinister things than that...

Put your mind at rest and make an appointment
Will do. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.