Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

pap (smear) test and breast screening

pap (smear) test and breast screening

Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:46 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default pap (smear) test and breast screening

i believe that the pap test is every 2 years. i did call to register when we first arrived, but they told me to call back when my 2 years are up (this july). are they every 2 years? also, what it the situation re cost, is it bulkbilled?

how often can breast screening be done and from what age? also what is the sitaution re cost on this?

i am trying to be proactive and organised, especially with the recent death of such a young woman (jane mcgrath). she did so much for the cause.

so come on ladies, what do y'all know about these 'lady' things
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:09 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pap (smear) test and breast screening

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i believe that the pap test is every 2 years. i did call to register when we first arrived, but they told me to call back when my 2 years are up (this july). are they every 2 years? also, what it the situation re cost, is it bulkbilled?

how often can breast screening be done and from what age? also what is the sitaution re cost on this?

i am trying to be proactive and organised, especially with the recent death of such a young woman (jane mcgrath). she did so much for the cause.

i get all my paps done with my local GP and whenever its due again, they usually send me a letter to phone and make new appointment. With regards to the breast screening, im not too sure, spmeone will know but again im sure your GP would be able to sort out appts etc or maybe your local hospital has a womans health clinic?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Pap smears are usually done every 2 years unless you have a history of abnormal paps in which case your doctor may want to do them yearly. If your GP bulk bills then you don't pay anything for it. If they don't then you can ask for a referral to the Gynae Clinic at your public hospital where they will do it. There are also free (Medicare funded) sexual health clinics in NSW where you can go get your bits checked. If by chance you need further treatment ask to be referred to the public hospital and all of your treatment is covered by Medicare. It may take longer, but the consultants at public hospitals are really very good.

For mammograms you usually get your first one at 40 if there is a family history. Not sure about NSW, but in WA it's every 2 years for women over covered by Medicare. You could of course go to a private clinic and pay, but if it's just simple screening then 2 yearly should be fine.

Proactive is a good thing. It's a terrible thing when a woman dies of a treatable disease.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

In WA it's called 'BreastscreenWA' and I go every 2 years, as Dorothy mentioned I forget at what age it is free...but I do know I'm old enough.
There was mention of them reducing the age for free mammograms but I'm not sure if they have done it yet
Ask your doctor or chemist....and good on you
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:33 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
In WA it's called 'BreastscreenWA' and I go every 2 years, as Dorothy mentioned I forget at what age it is free...but I do know I'm old enough.
There was mention of them reducing the age for free mammograms but I'm not sure if they have done it yet
Ask your doctor or chemist....and good on you
i understand that you can arrange to have the breast checks done earlier by paying for them privately, but i wondered at what age these checks can be done via doctors/bulkbilled/free etc. it's not that i am a tightwad, but money is very tight at the moment.

there is no family history (not of breast anyway).
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Here pap smears every two years and from when you become sexually active. Mammograms every two years over 40 although they do let you get a baseline one done before that I believe unless there are indicators in your family which suggest you should get it done earlier. The actual pathology is free for the pap smear you just fork out the $30 or so for the doctor's appointment. Mammogram free for over 40s for sure.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:52 pm
Never going back

Originally Posted by quoll
Here pap smears every two years and from when you become sexually active. Mammograms every two years over 40 although they do let you get a baseline one done before that I believe unless there are indicators in your family which suggest you should get it done earlier. The actual pathology is free for the pap smear you just fork out the $30 or so for the doctor's appointment. Mammogram free for over 40s for sure.
well that includes me (age group!)
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Unless your Dr bulk bills, then it costs nothing
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe just here in QLD, but I saw an advert on the back of a toilet door!

I have this done every two years because I am over 40!

Hope this helps you,

Mxxx

Last edited by Machiavelli; Jun 30th 2008 at 3:36 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

mrs obiwan is interested, thanks for starting this thread

so assuming you decide to go to your local GP and do the pap smear, then you pay the $50-60 fee, do you also get the $30-something refund from Medicare?

thanks
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:56 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by obiwan

so assuming you decide to go to your local GP and do the pap smear, then you pay the $50-60 fee, do you also get the $30-something refund from Medicare?

thanks
i went ahead and had the breast check (all clear ). it was very easy, just rang up the number and they arranged an appointment the next week at the nearest unit. nothing to pay. the next one is 2 years away. as i am over 40 (but not over 50), they gave me a fridge magnet thingy with the next one due by date, as i not automatically recalled (over 50's are). pap test is the next thing for me, as my two years are now up.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan

thanks
Yes.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That's interesting. In NZ it's every year, but only free after 45, and only if you apply. Likewise the pap smear is yearly done by GP or a nurse and they send you a reminder. I'm having it all done this year before we get to Oz.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

haha I do anything up to 24 pap's a day when I'm at work!

a) its 2 yrly unless you had a previous abnormal pap then its yearly
b) bulk billing med centres will do it free, otherwise theres usually a gap payment.
c) a breast exam should always be included in your well woman check, plus some breast education so you can self check every month
d)mammography/ultrasound is recommended every 2 yrs and is free for the over 40's if you call Breastscreen Qld on 13 20 50. If you have a family history of breast cancer and are under 40 - it is also free (in Qld).

XXXX
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
haha I do anything up to 24 pap's a day when I'm at work!

a) its 2 yrly unless you had a previous abnormal pap then its yearly
b) bulk billing med centres will do it free, otherwise theres usually a gap payment.
c) a breast exam should always be included in your well woman check, plus some breast education so you can self check every month
d)mammography/ultrasound is recommended every 2 yrs and is free for the over 40's if you call Breastscreen Qld on 13 20 50. If you have a family history of breast cancer and are under 40 - it is also free (in Qld).

XXXX
I used to hate having paps in the UK. My mother used to be the practice nurse at my surgery, but retired before I started needing them. However, every time I went for one, I'd be lying on back, legs akimbo, nurse doing her rummage and she'd say into my nether regions 'So how's your mother these days?' - it seriously doesn't help you relax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.