Paint

Old Dec 9th 2011, 11:18 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paint

Never had problems in the UK, be it with spraying or brushing, always managed to get a decent finish. NZ and OZ - just can not get anything near the quality of finish. Adhesion problems, runs, drying anomalies, re-coating issues.

Getting really frustrated - is the paint crap?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 11:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paint

I haven't had to do any painting in the UK but my FIL commented a few times when he was here helping us paint our place how the paint seemed crap and would often need several coats AND is very expensive here.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by chris955
I haven't had to do any painting in the UK but my FIL commented a few times when he was here helping us paint our place how the paint seemed crap and would often need several coats AND is very expensive here.
I think that may be it - every time you have to apply another coat, the chances of it going wrong multiplies, so thin paint = lots of coats needed = sag / runs etc.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 12:11 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Because we are currently painting the house prior to putting it on the market I am noticing these things, you sometimes need 3 coats to make it look decent which seems absurd. Not cheap paint either.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry didnt mean to intrude.....

This is obviously the boys equivilant to the "should be doing housework thread"

Stand easy....
Old Dec 10th 2011, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by eddie007
Sorry didnt mean to intrude.....

This is obviously the boys equivilant to the "should be doing housework thread"

Stand easy....
Has she gone yet? Can't even have a conversation about paint without them trying to muscle in.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 1:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheene
Never had problems in the UK, be it with spraying or brushing, always managed to get a decent finish. NZ and OZ - just can not get anything near the quality of finish. Adhesion problems, runs, drying anomalies, re-coating issues.

Well I've just finished painting the entire bloody house. I used three different companies paint, British Paints, Dulux and Taubmans. The British Paints, at least in the colours I was was using, was the best of the bunch, though the jelly beans, free with two tins of Dulux, did swing things their way for a while.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 1:30 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

If your using oil based add some penetrol it will help with your finishing problems.
Don't mean to state the bleeding obvious but you can't put acrylic over enamel.
Edit:you can but it's a long winded process.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well I've just finished painting the entire bloody house. I used three different companies paint, British Paints, Dulux and Taubmans. The British Paints, at least in the colours I was was using, was the best of the bunch, though the jelly beans, free with two tins of Dulux, did swing things their way for a while.
Why do we do that - a 50c bag of Jelly Beans and we are anybodies.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ukecadet
If your using oil based add some penetrol it will help with your finishing problems.
Don't mean to state the bleeding obvious but you can't put acrylic over enamel.
Edit:you can but it's a long winded process.
Why do you need to add extra things to the paint? Surely if it needed it, it would already be there in the tin?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

FFS you lot still hanging around here?

isnt the pub open yet?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:42 am

FFS you lot still hanging around here?

isnt the pub open yet?
You are so yesterday - Paint sniffing is the new alcohol abuse.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are so yesterday - Paint sniffing is the new alcohol abuse.
This explains the brain cell depletion in the male population of BE barbie...

Does paint sniffing impact adversly on fertility too?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Gloss or semi gloss is absolute rubbish- peels off and needs several coats. This is despite sanding and undercoating. I hate Aussie paint.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:53 am

This explains the brain cell depletion in the male population of BE barbie...

Does paint sniffing impact adversly on fertility too?
Not sure, if they would let me know where they are, I would count the little bastards.

Last edited by sheene; Dec 10th 2011 at 2:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.