British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Paint (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/paint-741470/)

sheene Dec 9th 2011 11:18 pm

Paint

Never had problems in the UK, be it with spraying or brushing, always managed to get a decent finish. NZ and OZ - just can not get anything near the quality of finish. Adhesion problems, runs, drying anomalies, re-coating issues.

Getting really frustrated - is the paint crap?

chris955 Dec 9th 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Paint

I haven't had to do any painting in the UK but my FIL commented a few times when he was here helping us paint our place how the paint seemed crap and would often need several coats AND is very expensive here.

sheene Dec 9th 2011 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9780165)
I haven't had to do any painting in the UK but my FIL commented a few times when he was here helping us paint our place how the paint seemed crap and would often need several coats AND is very expensive here.

I think that may be it - every time you have to apply another coat, the chances of it going wrong multiplies, so thin paint = lots of coats needed = sag / runs etc.

chris955 Dec 10th 2011 12:11 am

Because we are currently painting the house prior to putting it on the market I am noticing these things, you sometimes need 3 coats to make it look decent which seems absurd. Not cheap paint either.

eddie007 Dec 10th 2011 12:26 am

Sorry didnt mean to intrude.....

This is obviously the boys equivilant to the "should be doing housework thread"

Stand easy....

sheene Dec 10th 2011 12:35 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9780216)
Sorry didnt mean to intrude.....

This is obviously the boys equivilant to the "should be doing housework thread"

Stand easy....

Has she gone yet? Can't even have a conversation about paint without them trying to muscle in.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 10th 2011 1:19 am

Originally Posted by sheene (Post 9780149)
Never had problems in the UK, be it with spraying or brushing, always managed to get a decent finish. NZ and OZ - just can not get anything near the quality of finish. Adhesion problems, runs, drying anomalies, re-coating issues.

Well I've just finished painting the entire bloody house. I used three different companies paint, British Paints, Dulux and Taubmans. The British Paints, at least in the colours I was was using, was the best of the bunch, though the jelly beans, free with two tins of Dulux, did swing things their way for a while.

ukecadet Dec 10th 2011 1:30 am

Originally Posted by sheene (Post 9780149)

If your using oil based add some penetrol it will help with your finishing problems.
Don't mean to state the bleeding obvious but you can't put acrylic over enamel.
Edit:you can but it's a long winded process.

sheene Dec 10th 2011 1:53 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9780262)
Well I've just finished painting the entire bloody house. I used three different companies paint, British Paints, Dulux and Taubmans. The British Paints, at least in the colours I was was using, was the best of the bunch, though the jelly beans, free with two tins of Dulux, did swing things their way for a while.

:rofl: Why do we do that - a 50c bag of Jelly Beans and we are anybodies.

sheene Dec 10th 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ukecadet (Post 9780274)
If your using oil based add some penetrol it will help with your finishing problems.
Don't mean to state the bleeding obvious but you can't put acrylic over enamel.
Edit:you can but it's a long winded process.

Why do you need to add extra things to the paint? Surely if it needed it, it would already be there in the tin?

eddie007 Dec 10th 2011 2:18 am

FFS you lot still hanging around here?

isnt the pub open yet?

sheene Dec 10th 2011 2:42 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9780338)
FFS you lot still hanging around here?

isnt the pub open yet?

You are so yesterday - Paint sniffing is the new alcohol abuse.

eddie007 Dec 10th 2011 2:46 am

Originally Posted by sheene (Post 9780372)
You are so yesterday - Paint sniffing is the new alcohol abuse.

This explains the brain cell depletion in the male population of BE barbie...

Does paint sniffing impact adversly on fertility too?

carolinephillips Dec 10th 2011 2:48 am

Gloss or semi gloss is absolute rubbish- peels off and needs several coats. This is despite sanding and undercoating. I hate Aussie paint.:thumbdown::frown:

sheene Dec 10th 2011 2:53 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9780378)
This explains the brain cell depletion in the male population of BE barbie...

Does paint sniffing impact adversly on fertility too?

Not sure, if they would let me know where they are, I would count the little bastards.