Oz Digi Box

Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Question Oz Digi Box

Does anyone have an Oz digibox? We are thinking of getting one, as telly is lees than interesting at times (same everywhere you go) here! Just wanted to know what channels it gives you as I can't seem to find this out.....

Don't want to tie into contracts with Foxtel etc as we are in rented and will be moving early next year.

Cheers

bb
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Digi Box

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
Does anyone have an Oz digibox? We are thinking of getting one, as telly is lees than interesting at times (same everywhere you go) here! Just wanted to know what channels it gives you as I can't seem to find this out.....

Don't want to tie into contracts with Foxtel etc as we are in rented and will be moving early next year.

Cheers

bb
Was just looking into this for my parents. As you probably know, Foxtel is the cable, Austar is the satellite. Unfortunately, whatever you guy for, there appears to be a 12 month tie-in on the contracts although on a couple of the digital TV forums I found they did refer to a six month contract, so it might be worth asking. The good news is that the Foxtel IQ (the equivalent of the Sky Plus PVR in the UK) is to be made available on Austar from mid-06. So... I think you're probably out of luck because pretty much everything ties you into a minimum contract. About the best you can hope for (and I stand to be corrected) is free-to-air digital, but that's just the same channels as normal only with better picture quality.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:52 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

bb
The 'Freeview' type digibox doesn't really offer any new channels. Oh, they'll tell you that you get 20 channels or something but that's ABC, ABC HD (high definitition), ABC TV Guide, Nine, NINE HD, Nine TV Guide .......

To keep Mrs M happy, I bought one to watch the Aussie Rules on when it starts up again (cos our 2nd telly doesn't tune into Oz TV). But that's about the only reason I could see to spend the money.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 12:41 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

bb

We've just put foxtel in and we're in rented too. We're currently on a six month lease (until end April) but will probably extend to at least a year.

We've taken advantage of their anniversary package and signed up for a two-year contract, with the $10 installation and $10 for the first month. We'll probably downgrade the package next month to a basic, but still gives us a lot more than terrestrial would (lousy reception here). We simply take the dish with us when we leave...the contract is relevant to the foxtel supply, not the address you're living at.

HTH.

Sue
Old Dec 18th 2005, 12:52 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We got a digibox solely to make our UK widescreen TV work. Effectively it has two extra channels at present. ABC2 seems to show repeats of kids tv for only a few hours per day and SBS2 shows foreign language programmes. So don't get one for the extra choice.

I understand your desire though. Since they brought in the summer schedules there is absolutely nothing at all on. Why do you think I spend so much time on here?
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Oz Digi Box

Originally Posted by worzel
We got a digibox solely to make our UK widescreen TV work. Effectively it has two extra channels at present. ABC2 seems to show repeats of kids tv for only a few hours per day and SBS2 shows foreign language programmes. So don't get one for the extra choice.

I understand your desire though. Since they brought in the summer schedules there is absolutely nothing at all on. Why do you think I spend so much time on here?

Thanks all...will invesigate the 6 month contract to start us off...am getting fed up watching DVD's etc.....need to get a good news station like Sky News that I can have on during the day.

bb