Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Overcoming Anxiety and Fear

Overcoming Anxiety and Fear

Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice
Default Overcoming Anxiety and Fear

Hi All,
I am flying after 4 days to Melbourne. I know that many of you had gone through the same phase which I am passing through right now. Its fear of unseen, how the things are going to happen, what about Job, What about the settlement in a New Atmosphere in a new Country, How will I be coping up alone without the family, blah blah, blah.......
Kindly suggest some sensible and meaningful ways to come out of this, though I know that this is not going to last and pass away soon
Regards
Sanjay
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:08 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overcoming Anxiety and Fear

Look forward and not back, have confidence that problems are just there to be solved. It's a natural fear so don't be concerned if you feel worried. Make sure you look at all practical issues, money, where to live, be fully prepared for job applications and interviews - keep your self busy.

Good luck and best wishes,
Cooler

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79
Hi All,
I am flying after 4 days to Melbourne. I know that many of you had gone through the same phase which I am passing through right now. Its fear of unseen, how the things are going to happen, what about Job, What about the settlement in a New Atmosphere in a new Country, How will I be coping up alone without the family, blah blah, blah.......
Kindly suggest some sensible and meaningful ways to come out of this, though I know that this is not going to last and pass away soon
Regards
Sanjay
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Well the good news is serveral have gone before you and survived.

Focus on what you have to do and good luck with the job hunting
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Thanks Poitin and coolerkingcooler
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this article in the Wiki - although its in the Canadian bit its just as relevant to Australia.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

And remember that the worst thing is missing out on opportunities - whatever problems you encounter once you're here, you can face them and deal with them when they happen, without wondering what if.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:30 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at our search function and key in a few words like Tax File Number, centrlink, rentals, jobs etc and you will find plenty of advice on what you need to do when you get here. That will provide you with info to write a list which you can address once you've landed. You'll be so busy sorting these things out that you'll forget any angst you might have about the move.

What you are going through is normal and it's good to have these feelings and thoughts as they help propel you into action. You'll be right mate
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:36 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Regards
Sanjay
I think that when you get here, you should try your hardest to make friends and join a social circle. Find people with a common interest and hook up with them by joining clubs, going to pubs, etc. You might be very lucky and make friends very quickly, or it could take a while longer... but in the end, having friends around you will help get rid of your anxiety and fear.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to all, I feel a bit more relaxed now.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:40 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all, I feel a bit more relaxed now.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:05 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Sanjay

Best thing is to write down the items that are worrying you on one side of a sheet of paper.

On the other against each write down your action plan against each. ie jobs
Register with at least 3/4 agents per day for first week.

When you do get here there are loads of us willing to meet up for coffee to show a friendly face and words of encouragement - so at the least your not completely alone
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the tips thread. Loads of good advice there. Remember why you started this mad journey and that you only live once so you just have to go for dreams. At some point you wake up but the dream doesn't go away and quite often reality exceeds dream. Things also go pearshaped but if you don't try you will never know which side you will fall on.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sanjay, what you are going through is completely normal!
I take it you have not visited Aus before? We had not & I found it really hard to imagine what it may be like. It's a big move & would be unusual not to have last minute nerves.
Hang on in there because when you get here you will be fine. There are always people on here to help & guide & I have found people generally very helpful in Aus.
Lots of luck & Bon Voyage
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Sanjay, what you are going through is completely normal!
I take it you have not visited Aus before? We had not & I found it really hard to imagine what it may be like. It's a big move & would be unusual not to have last minute nerves.
Hang on in there because when you get here you will be fine. There are always people on here to help & guide & I have found people generally very helpful in Aus.
Lots of luck & Bon Voyage
Thanks sallyclaire. I have observed that in this world there are good human beings too, who are always ready to encourage and motivate and many of them are here on this forum
Sanjay Vatts
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Hi All,
Regards
Sanjay

Go for it Sanjay.

Unless you actually venture out, you would never know how deep the ocean is. It is perfectly normal and I can understand how you would be feeling this very moment. As Geelong gent said, If you ever feel lonely in Melbourne, post a thread and I'm sure many would be more than happy to join you for a coffee or a beer

Sending you some good luck karma.!!!

All the best.