Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Options re dental/orthodontic insurance?

Options re dental/orthodontic insurance?

Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:27 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Options re dental/orthodontic insurance?

Hai!

I have 3 kids, one who definitely needs orthodontic work, fairly major. The other two probably do too as one has a crossbite and the other an overbite.

I'm not great income wise because I can only get pt work locally, though am looking for other work. Am currently on WorkCover after accident at PT job which has meant leg has been out of action for nearly a year.... Getting new job is hard as I need something fairly non physical. They're only paying me for a contracted 14 hours per week.

Receipt of child support is sporadic.
Their father works full time in computer programming work.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations re dental or orthodontic cover?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options re dental/orthodontic insurance?

The government have a teen dental plan, but I don't know what it covers.Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:33 pm

Teen dental plan is just for a check up and a clean. Doesn't cover anything else.

Sadly.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Teen dental plan is just for a check up and a clean. Doesn't cover anything else.

Sadly.

Have a look at this:

smile.com.au

You can typically get 15% off of the upfront costs of the dentistry, which is pretty good.

You can also tie this in with other health insurance to get a larger discount too, though you will need one of the compatible 'Extras' packages to do this. It's a bit complex, but makes sense when you read the guff on the website.

Alternatively, you may want to try an overseas place for major surgery. Seasider (who hasn't been on for ages) always highly recommended a place in Singapore, and I have also had recommendations for a place in Bangkok, though I would have to search around for it now.

K's nephew is a UK dentist that has moved here in the last couple of years, and he was saying over Christmas that the amount of unnecessary work Aussie dentists are billing out for is utterly ridiculous, so it's easy to see what's going on here.

S
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:06 am

Thanks, I'll check that out. No surgery but I would consider if I had to so will keep that in mind.

Bit depressing hearing they bill for unnecessary work... : / Sigh.

Good place to start, thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:02 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll check that out. No surgery but I would consider if I had to so will keep that in mind.

Bit depressing hearing they bill for unnecessary work... : / Sigh.

Good place to start, thanks.

This is the place in Thailand my friend recommends:

http://www.asavanant.com/

S
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:38 am

Cheers hon.

Anyone else?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

We have the smile.com card.We get around 15% discount on mine and my husbands dentist bills.My youngest needs orthodontic work done.Hoping to start it in June.His school dentist will remove any necessary teeth free of charge.I have to check to see if we can use the discount card at the orthodontics.He is 14.My 15 year could do with some treatment but not sure if we can afford to get hers done.Her brothers teeth are more desperate.
The orthodontist should give you a rough idea how much it will cost.I cant imagine going over seas will be feasible.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Most orthodontists will let you have a payment plan so you pay monthly. There are also certain credit cards you get just for dental stuff with a very reasonable interest rate so again you pay what you can when you can. I consider myself really lucky that both girls treatment was considered vital so Medicare covered the vast majority of it, we 'just' had to pay for the braces part and the mother in fact paid for Tiddler's although she's put a codicil on her will so when she karks it, my share will be less that amount. God forbid she do something for her grandchild out of love I do have to suffer the constant 'well of course I did pay for her smile' routine every time we speak. Sorry, went off tangent a bit there......
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:05 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Most orthodontists will let you have a payment plan so you pay monthly. There are also certain credit cards you get just for dental stuff with a very reasonable interest rate so again you pay what you can when you can. I consider myself really lucky that both girls treatment was considered vital so Medicare covered the vast majority of it, we 'just' had to pay for the braces part and the mother in fact paid for Tiddler's although she's put a codicil on her will so when she karks it, my share will be less that amount. God forbid she do something for her grandchild out of love I do have to suffer the constant 'well of course I did pay for her smile' routine every time we speak. Sorry, went off tangent a bit there......
How did they meet the criteria/what treatment was needed ?
I'm interested as I have just finished paying around 20,000 for my 2 boys. And now discovered one of them has to have 4 wisdom teeth removed else his orthodontist work will be back to square one.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I do have to suffer the constant 'well of course I did pay for her smile' routine every time we speak. Sorry, went off tangent a bit there......
Jesus!
You know, people have killed people for less Pen. Call me if you need any er, work done. I know people.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ukecadet
How did they meet the criteria/what treatment was needed ?
I'm interested as I have just finished paying around 20,000 for my 2 boys. And now discovered one of them has to have 4 wisdom teeth removed else his orthodontist work will be back to square one.
The wisdom teeth thing should have been sorted first.... I'd be asking for $$ back.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:58 am

The wisdom teeth thing should have been sorted first.... I'd be asking for $$ back.
The teeth are just starting to show now.He finished his treatment about 2 years ago so not sure I'd be able to ask for money back.Teeth were spotted on last check up by dentist.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
The teeth are just starting to show now.He finished his treatment about 2 years ago so not sure I'd be able to ask for money back.Teeth were spotted on last check up by dentist.
I have been quoted $250 to have one wisdom tooth taken out.I m not in pain so wont get it done too soon.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I have been quoted $250 to have one wisdom tooth taken out.I m not in pain so wont get it done too soon.
That seems pretty good price to me.The top 2 will be a straight forward extraction but the bottom pair will probably require surgery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.