Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Opinons about other parts of Aus.

Wikiposts

Opinons about other parts of Aus.

Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opinons about other parts of Aus.

Figured this could be of interest to prospective migrants and also people considering moving within Australia.

For the most part people are upbeat about the area they live in and yet quick to knock another region. So I figured it could be an idea to see what other people on this board think about other parts of Aus. Conversely they can be very negative about the region they live in if they are considering moving back to the UK... hence the Positive and Negative views in this thread.

So post 3 positive things and 3 negative things you think about the above posters region.

Obviously there is no above poster for me and as I was prompted to do this in relation to another thread I'm going to start on the Gold Coast. This is the thread BTW....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744163

Positives re the Gold Coast IMO..... Lovely Flora and Fauna, Green all year etc. ....Very Clean.... Nice Beaches with the great dividing range backdrop..

Negatives re the Gold Coast... Can seem very Plastic..... Shuts Early and feels a bit like a Stepford wife community where asthetic perfection means everything, .....Very little outside cultural influence = Bland.

Now I'm glad I got that off my chest and didnt have to say in the other persons thread that I would possibly prefer to move live where she now lives than the GC..... Not sure whether that would actually be the case but it could well be,.

OK over to the next Person... 3 positives and 3 negatives about Multi Cultural Northern Sub of Melbourne.... or an overall view of Melbourne if you haven't been here before.

Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:54 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinons about other parts of Aus.

Not overly familiar with Northern Melbourne but did live in the Southern suburbs and worked in mix of Melbourne Southern suburbs and CBD.

Three pros:
Melbourne has cultural offerings (ie theatre, art, music).
There are lovely beaches and countryside within a few hours drive.
There are good restaurants and shops.

Three cons:
Melbourne is very clique-ey. (Some say if you weren't born there you won't make it there.)
The traffic is horrendous, particularly at rush hour.
There is a strong focus on image, and an every man for himself attitude which can preclude common decency.

Next... Brisbane
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane's positives compared to Perth...
1) It's 5 hours closer to Canada
2) It's closer to other major cities in Australia
3) The winters don't seem to be as cold and wet as here

Brisbane's negatives...
1) My sister lives there
2) My sister's husband lives there with my sister
3) Did I mention my sister lives there?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:35 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy hasn't named the next city/town! Come on luv!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Brisbane's positives compared to Perth...
1) It's 5 hours closer to Canada
2) It's closer to other major cities in Australia
3) The winters don't seem to be as cold and wet as here

Brisbane's negatives...
1) My sister lives there
2) My sister's husband lives there with my sister
3) Did I mention my sister lives there?
Perth innit

That should bring up some good opinions
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have a shout at Perth then....
in favour
easy to get a good nights sleep
good beaches just go before midday or the wind blows you away
easy to save money providing don't pay rent of have a mortgage as shops don't entice much spending.......

contra
can't think of any but if pushed...
rip off prices in eating out or boozing or doing just about anything else
little reason to go out at night
far from anywhere you'd want to go

As I said hard to think of negatives

Last edited by the troubadour; Jan 7th 2012 at 6:40 pm. Reason: correction
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I'll have a shout at Perth then....
in favour
easy to get a good nights sleep
good beaches just go before midday and the wind blows you away
easy to save money providing don't pay rent of have a mortgage as shops don't entice much spending.......

contra
can't think of any but if pushed...
rip off prices in eating out or boozing or doing just about anything else
little reason to go out at night
far from anywhere you'd want to go

As I said hard to think of negatives

Looks like someone from somewhere other than Perth has to post now and give another view of Perth.... Hmm this is tricky lol. Or maybe nominiate a Place...
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:39 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Looks like someone from somewhere other than Perth has to post now and give another view of Perth.... Hmm this is tricky lol. Or maybe nominiate a Place...
Perth as a one time visitor:

Positives:
Nice beaches, kite surfing and a good sailing scene
More convenient time zone
Fewer bogans than Qld

Negatives:
It was dead - we went out for drinks and meals on a thursday and sat alone
Isolated - there's frig all over in WA
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Dorothy hasn't named the next city/town! Come on luv!
Oh, sorry. Let's do one that isn't too popular. How about Broome?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I will add another of Perth but then the next poster can do our old huant of Sydney.

Pro
Plenty of sunshine
Margaret River
Mmmm struggling a bit for a third, but will go with its clean.

Cons
Its dull as dishwater
Its a long way from anywhere
Its a rip off
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, sorry. Let's do one that isn't too popular. How about Broome?
Broome
pro
Cable Beach
Located in perhaps most attractive region in Australia(Kimberly's)
A place where those that fit into mainstream life could find a place (may longer be case with much higher costs)
cons
Far from anywhere and costs of getting there/away
High costs of living in the entire region
Safety issues especially at night. Know where your walking/don't venture backstreets.
I'll nominate Alice Springs...........
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:02 pm

Alice Springs

Positives:
Somewhat exciting for Australia as there is a fair amount of culture shock involved
It's warm in the day and chilly at night
Beautiful scenery nearby - including Uluru - a bit overrated but still a 'must see'.

Negatives:
The aboriginal alcohol problem is centre stage in Alice - which is depressing and sad to see
There is nowhere nice to eat out or stay and what there is is rather expensive
Bloody miles from civilisation

Over to Adelaide....
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:58 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Alice Springs

Positives:
Somewhat exciting for Australia as there is a fair amount of culture shock involved
It's warm in the day and chilly at night
Beautiful scenery nearby - including Uluru - a bit overrated but still a 'must see'.

Negatives:
The aboriginal alcohol problem is centre stage in Alice - which is depressing and sad to see
There is nowhere nice to eat out or stay and what there is is rather expensive
Bloody miles from civilisation

Over to Adelaide....
Adelaide...
Positives:
Excellent wineries close by
Lots of free outdoor festivals/activities
Wendy lives there (the natural progression of an evening out with Wendy)

Negatives:
Employment opportunities are limited
Beaches are not great - just ok
Has a reputation for being boring

On to Melbourne
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Broome
pro
Cable Beach
Located in perhaps most attractive region in Australia(Kimberly's)
A place where those that fit into mainstream life could find a place (may longer be case with much higher costs)
cons
Far from anywhere and costs of getting there/away
High costs of living in the entire region
Safety issues especially at night. Know where your walking/don't venture backstreets.
I'll nominate Alice Springs...........
What's the cause of the safety issues in Broome, the locals or something else
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide...
Positives:

Wendy lives there <snip to make room for more>(the natural progression of an evening out with Wendy)
you forgot a few....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.