Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of those times you hope the BBC is wrong.

Originally Posted by IvanM
The DJs [/I]
Do you honestly think the DJs would have gone ahead with their prank had they even the slightest idea that it could all go so very wrong? I'm sure they must be wishing they hadn't done it at all.

I haven't really commented on this thread as I know so little about what really happened. We do however now know that the nurse attempted taking her own life twice before this incident and she was suffering from depression. I guess it was only a matter of time and this incident just broke her already fragile state of mind.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:33 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

They went ahead calling a hospital and nurses, broke a number of industry guidelines, breached privacy and caused hurt. It was only a matter of time before one of twatFMs pranks caused a suicide. Without the suicide the DJs went over the line. They know their job is to humiliate and hurt and they should accept back what they give.

I am no royalist but the only person who should release medical information is Kate.
Originally Posted by IndieG
Do you honestly think the DJs would have gone ahead with their prank had they even the slightest idea that it could all go so very wrong? I'm sure they must be wishing they hadn't done it at all.

I haven't really commented on this thread as I know so little about what really happened. We do however now know that the nurse attempted taking her own life twice before this incident and she was suffering from depression. I guess it was only a matter of time and this incident just broke her already fragile state of mind.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

The DJs and Austereo deserve what they got in their search for ratings without any prior concern for the lives they screw up in the way.

There is a line between poor taste, cruelty and illegality. IMO Austereo have repeatedly crossed that line.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...220-2boer.html

a promotion called "Heartless Hotline" in which a parent of a disabled child was forced to argue with another caller to get Easter Show tickets; a promotion in which the parents of a disabled child claimed they did not receive the full amount pledged to them on air; Kyle Sandilands making fun of a disabled baby; Sandilands suggesting Magda Szubanski be "put in a concentration camp" to lose weight; Sandilands calling a female journalist a "fat slag" and threatening to "hunt her down"; a competition in which women were lined up behind two panels - exposing only their vaginas - and requiring a man to identify his girlfriend by her genitals; a competition to find Sydney's smallest penis; a competition in which a prize was hidden in the body rolls of an obese woman who was branded a "pig", with footage streamed online; a stunt in which employees competed to see who could masturbate the fastest and produce the highest sperm count; and an intended stunt in which female listeners would compete to impregnate themselves with the sperm of a local celebrity. What do these incidents say about the culture of Austereo?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz2Fvn8jFzR
More importantly what does this say about the audience

No respective and no support for such fools

I do miss Radio 2
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:58 am

A disturbing large audience of morons.
Originally Posted by RedDragon2008

I do miss Radio 2
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:19 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008

I do miss Radio 2
Get the TuneIn Radio App - can listen to it anytime online - there is even a record function on the premium version Like old times listening to Chris Evans in the evening
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Get the TuneIn Radio App - can listen to it anytime online - there is even a record function on the premium version Like old times listening to Chris Evans in the evening
or Sarah in the morning
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I agree. They were only doing their jobs and now they've been completely villified in the press without the opportunity to tell their side of the story.
What did they talk about on Today Tonight?
The DJs and Austereo deserve what they got in their search for ratings ...
Australian radio is currently in a non-ratings period, which includes the day it was broadcast.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
What did they talk about on Today Tonight?
I wouldn't know. I don't watch TT or any other crap like that. I do remember the first few days after the nurse's suicide reports on the radio saying the DJs had been put up in a hotel for "security reasons" and would not be making any statements. If they subsequently were allowed to make a statement you can be pretty certain what they said was vetted by the station management/lawyers and all questions by the Today Tonight reporter would have been ok'd by them as well.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:24 pm

They still have to keep the audience whether it is rated or not. The culture of stupidity does not stop and start for the ratings period.
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
What did they talk about on Today Tonight?Australian radio is currently in a non-ratings period, which includes the day it was broadcast.