Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

One for the Perthites

One for the Perthites

Old Apr 8th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of
Default One for the Perthites

Hi guys

I'm cheekily after you to 'do my research for me' (lazy, moi?)

We're most likely to come to Perth because of OH's job.

Was really looking forward to settling south-ish (maybe Rockingham or Freo) and have looked into those areas a bit. However, it looks like north is probably going to be the way forward - cos of proximity to places for hubby to work and airport for his travelling to mines etc.

So what I'm after is opinions/info on the northern suburbs. Have looked at Joondalup and it looks v nice but really expensive in direct comparison to the southern areas. Anyone know of 'nice' suburbs around there that don't have quite the 'loads of brits so lets screw them on the price they'll never know haha' vibe. Or do people think J is worth the money?

When I say nice we're not too fussy - we currently live on an ex-council estate in York so not expecting posh - but want somewhere that is good for families (lots of other families/not much crime etc) - deffo non-bogan-y cos the only thing that worries me is the young-uns being surrounded by bad influences on their home-turf (other than me and OH obviously!) and preferably with some kind of towny central area reasonably close (so Joondalup is looking pretty good).
Budget is ok - we'll rent but want to rent close to where we'll eventually buy where we will hopefully be able to spend $5-600k but we do want the best value possible for our money (I am from Yorkshire after all!)

Thanks guys!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for the Perthites

Originally Posted by abi31
Hi guys

I'm cheekily after you to 'do my research for me' (lazy, moi?)

We're most likely to come to Perth because of OH's job.

Was really looking forward to settling south-ish (maybe Rockingham or Freo) and have looked into those areas a bit. However, it looks like north is probably going to be the way forward - cos of proximity to places for hubby to work and airport for his travelling to mines etc.

So what I'm after is opinions/info on the northern suburbs. Have looked at Joondalup and it looks v nice but really expensive in direct comparison to the southern areas. Anyone know of 'nice' suburbs around there that don't have quite the 'loads of brits so lets screw them on the price they'll never know haha' vibe. Or do people think J is worth the money?

When I say nice we're not too fussy - we currently live on an ex-council estate in York so not expecting posh - but want somewhere that is good for families (lots of other families/not much crime etc) - deffo non-bogan-y cos the only thing that worries me is the young-uns being surrounded by bad influences on their home-turf (other than me and OH obviously!) and preferably with some kind of towny central area reasonably close (so Joondalup is looking pretty good).
Budget is ok - we'll rent but want to rent close to where we'll eventually buy where we will hopefully be able to spend $5-600k but we do want the best value possible for our money (I am from Yorkshire after all!)

Thanks guys!
Kingsley. Great suburb. You'll get something nice for that price.

There are a lot of Brits but they tend to be older ones who have been here 30 years.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:38 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31
Hi guys

D
The airport is south of the river? Great access via Roe and Tonkin highway
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Thanks guys

Yeah ET - think the airport is south of the river but think it's north (or maybe NE?) of Perth - meant northern side of Perth rather than river