Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

One for fathers - advice needed

Wikiposts

One for fathers - advice needed

Old May 18th 2010, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for fathers - advice needed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
But that's a cop out don't you think? Men donate 50% to making babies and then don't want to explain how they did it? Leave it to the women to sort out. Like we haven't got enough crap to deal with.

Men who don't want to talk about sex to their kids need to grow up and get real. You protect your kids by teaching them to cross the road properly... why not teach them about sex and safety.. It seems ridiculous to me that some men can't talk openly and honestly to their kids.
My husband teaches medical students but he completely froze at the thought of doing this - I let him off because he's very good with the kids in other ways but my son would have been drawing his pension before he got around to giving him 'the talk' otherwise
Old May 18th 2010, 9:56 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

My Ex recently took it upon himself to give the girls "A Talk".
(I did try to warn him not to & the girls did tell him they didn't want to talk about that kind of stuff with him)

Well, he didn't listen & suffered the consequences of two teenage girls who knew a helluva lot more about growing up in 2010 than he did... I think he wished the ground would open up & swallow him...but then again, if he will consider a crowded train to be a suitable venue for such a conversation, I can't say I blame them for making him rergret the consequences....

Old May 18th 2010, 10:43 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My husband teaches medical students but he completely froze at the thought of doing this - I let him off because he's very good with the kids in other ways but my son would have been drawing his pension before he got around to giving him 'the talk' otherwise

Old May 18th 2010, 11:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
My Ex recently took it upon himself to give the girls "A Talk".
(I did try to warn him not to & the girls did tell him they didn't want to talk about that kind of stuff with him)

Well, he didn't listen & suffered the consequences of two teenage girls who knew a helluva lot more about growing up in 2010 than he did... I think he wished the ground would open up & swallow him...but then again, if he will consider a crowded train to be a suitable venue for such a conversation, I can't say I blame them for making him rergret the consequences....

Old May 18th 2010, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
To be honest, call me naive but as long as you are open and loving to them, a great deal of the emotional/physical side happens automatically. Its the children of repressed parents who struggle with working that bit out. I'm not sure it can be really explained because we are all individual anyway, you can go so far but if the child is Neanderthal they'll never get it and if they're not they will.

Having met you Pen, that's cos you're open and loving with your kids (most of the time ) Parents that are like this don't have the 'OMG I have to give my kids THE TALK' pressure on them... you just communicate naturally most of the time... It's my point.. .If you create an open atmosphere where they trust you and want to talk to you, then that's half the issue sorted right away.
Old May 18th 2010, 11:31 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Having met you Pen, that's cos you're open and loving with your kids (most of the time ) Parents that are like this don't have the 'OMG I have to give my kids THE TALK' pressure on them... you just communicate naturally most of the time... It's my point.. .If you create an open atmosphere where they trust you and want to talk to you, then that's half the issue sorted right away.
That makes sense to me in spite of never having had kids or any idea what to do!
Old May 18th 2010, 11:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Being open and loving is fine until you're driving home from school and a voice comes from the back of the car saying 'I'm not a virgin by the way'. I couldn't think of what else to say but 'oh ok' Tiddler just said TMI thanks
Old May 18th 2010, 11:56 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Better still. Don't have kids, enjoy the money yoruself. Die poor
I like your thinking.
Old May 18th 2010, 12:07 pm

Being open and loving is fine until you're driving home from school and a voice comes from the back of the car saying 'I'm not a virgin by the way'. I couldn't think of what else to say but 'oh ok' Tiddler just said TMI thanks
That's why I said 'most of the time'.

But at least she told you!

If I'd have said that to my mother, she'd have had me at prayer meetings and had the demons cast out of me, whilst slathering oil on my forehead and praying for my evil wrong doing, whilst crying and sobbing for weeks about how she'd 'lost her daughter'.

Actually, one time she got this woman to ask me. I used to babysit this woman's child.
'Your mother thinks you're having a sexual relationship with your boyfriend'...
'Does she? That's nice' I answered.
She didn't ask anything else.

In comparison, saying 'ok' seems to be just fine to me. And she wanted to tell you... that's a good thing.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; May 18th 2010 at 12:10 pm.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

My father would not let me go and stay with my boyfriend in Norway unless I went and got a script for the pill!
I was 17 at the time and it both shocked and pleased me that my dad was open enough to talk about such things.

My little sister (13) was in the room and went off telling everybody I was having sex and it was yuck!

I don't remember my parents giving us THE TALK. I just remember feeling like I could always talk to them about anything and ask them about anything. My parents were great at fostering that kind of trust within the family.

They screwed with our minds in other ways though

Not sure what I'll do with my boys...
Old May 19th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of sitting my kids down for a talk about sex just horrifies me. What if you cover things they are not ready to hear? What if it gives them ideas that would not have formed naturally for a couple of years? My kids are 10 and 15 and I tend to just touch on the subject at opportune times or wait for their questions. When the question comes I answer it precisely. If they want more info they ask, if I have covered their concerns they move on to a different subject. Far better (imho) than sitting them down and scaring the wits out of them.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

My eldest (primary qld) had a talk when he was about 10 years about Wet Dreams one afternoon! Unfortunately for me he also had swimming lessons straight afterwards and proceeded to tell me and the parents sitting around all us all about it, in a very loud English Accent, it was sooooo embarrassing, I nearly chucked him in the pool so he would stop talking about it.

Old May 19th 2010, 2:42 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
My eldest (primary qld) had a talk when he was about 10 years about Wet Dreams one afternoon!
That's an odd name to call your kid
Old May 19th 2010, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I see from your avatar that you have had a face lift... expensive?
Old May 19th 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I see from your avatar that you have had a face lift... expensive?
I thought you'd had a foot stamp and left BE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.