Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

OMG! ... here we go!

OMG! ... here we go!

Old Dec 21st 2005, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: OMG! ... here we go!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Damned if I can see how you do anything with your arms pinned together You looked fairly normal last time I saw you
You callin me a liar! ...

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Seriously Paul, I really hope the sale holds together and you get out here. If DIMIA gave visa's for effort etc you would be at the top of the list.

Get through the winter there - hope everything is good with Nic - and get planning. If you want a recommendation for shippers I would suggest John Mason - they have been fab. Excellent packing in Harpenden and the people they use here are Wridgeways who again have been brill.

If you want anything doing this end, feel free to shout.

Penny
Yeah I'm just prayin the sale holds. I've just phoned the solicitor and he reckons if all goes well middle of Feb would be a ballpark for completion.

The school enrol every 2 months and the end of March would be the next enrolment.

With the Student Visa you can arrive upto 6 weeks before course commences, altho a month would be ideal, so all is looking good as we speak ...

John Mason I think is on my list of 'BE recommended' shippers, but all the better I half know someone who's recommended ...

Nic's good. All the better now we've sold the house tho and like me just want to get out there now and get the ball rolling with study and stuff.

Just gotta tell my mum now it's all systems go! ... :scared:
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:07 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Paul. Really excited for you
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:06 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2004

You don't know how much I needed this ...
Well we're on a mission now!

Yesterday we accepted an offer on the house, and now the fun begins! ...

Not too sure who knows our plans, so will give a brief rundown.

We want to go give Australia a go and have looked into for prob 2 years. Done the Reconnaissance trip (never know how to spell that bloody 'reccy', 'reccie' word and this came up ...lol). Now unfortunately London Cabbies aint in demand over there ... and I don't have bundles of dosh to stuff into brown envelopes, so our ONLY route into the country is to study!

Now this I've looked into to the best of my ability, and there is pretty much one occupation that stands out as 'the best chance of success' so myself and partner will both be studying it for upto 2 years when we arrive.

What is it?

Well, I considered motor Mechanic, Carpenter, Plumber, (most trades) as I have a 'basic' understanding of most, BUT!! ... I broke both my arms 2 years ago and they're pinned together etc, and still give me trouble. I was advised to be very 'cautious' of what line of work I do in the future, as they're basically crap and the slightest bit of work and I suffer.

Anyway, so Paul is gonna be the next Vidal Sassoon! ...

Now can everyone please pick themselves up and read the rest ...
Without boring you, if you study in Oz for 2 years, Cert III qualification or higher, can 'keep' yourselves, and with 'most' trades you will also need work experience too! Then you can apply for PR after.

(I better throw this bit in)

'Study to PR' is VERY risky. If criteria changes along the line, and we cannot meet it, then we will simply be turfed out of the country once the Student Visa expires! As I say, it's a VERY risky gamble, but all 4 of us have discussed this loads, and the kids both know and understand the task ahead, but we ALL want to give it a shot! ... and we will!

The way we see it, the absolute worst case scenario is we simply have to leave. We will not get thrown into prison, or be fed to the Kangaroo's ... we will just have to go. Ok, it WILL be a massive prob as we'll obv be all settled and stuff, but we'll be returning to the UK to gain whatever it is we're missing for the application and once obtained we'll be trying to get back asap.

We WILL have 2 years in Oz, and to be honest we've all left our hearts there and need to go back to reclaim em. It's gonna be a good 2 years of our lives if nothing else!

Anyway, Student Visa's don't take long to obtain, and we're hoping to be out in Oz hopefully for March / April.

Can't bloody wait I say!

Please wish me luck!
Good luck and best wishes Paul..it's sounds as though you are a really determined family and willing to ' give it a go '...life is too short !!!!!!

Well i am sure you will get hundreds of clients for your hairdressing......and if that goes tits up you could always sing ( i thought it was very good)
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:15 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Issie
Good luck and best wishes Paul..it's sounds as though you are a really determined family and willing to ' give it a go '...life is too short !!!!!!)
Thanks. Yeah thoughts exactly, life IS too short to be leaving things and looking back later with the 'what if we' glasses on.

What do we have to lose!

Originally Posted by Issie
Well i am sure you will get hundreds of clients for your hairdressing......and if that goes tits up you could always sing ( i thought it was very good)
Shhh ...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:15 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Good luck, you all have balls and do you want to cut my hair
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:20 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Good luck, you all have balls and do you want to cut my hair
I dont think his missus will agree.. ...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ransi
I dont think his missus will agree.. ...
LOL ...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope all goes well for you. Have a good xmas

Wendy
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hope all goes well for you. Have a good xmas

Wendy
Thanks, and the same to you ...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:52 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Paul, hope it all works Sasooner rather than later

BTW, what's the story behind your arms, that's got to be a post in itself???
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Congratulations Paul and family!!

I put in my application for my student visa today, dont know if you know but we are now classed as assesment level 1 so can apply online and they say that you should have an answer in 5-10 working days, which is great.

So fingers and toes crossed that ours comes back as a yes and we too will be leaving in March.

Claire
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lionheart
Best of luck Paul, hope it all works Sasooner rather than later

BTW, what's the story behind your arms, that's got to be a post in itself???

Cheers Tom, and perfect timing really ...

Gonna PM about the arms in case anyones just eaten ...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by claire33
Congratulations Paul and family!!

I put in my application for my student visa today, dont know if you know but we are now classed as assesment level 1 so can apply online and they say that you should have an answer in 5-10 working days, which is great.

So fingers and toes crossed that ours comes back as a yes and we too will be leaving in March.

Claire
Hi Claire, I was goin thru DIMIA's Study section yesterday, but must've missed that.

I'm gonna go have a read up now, but that seems handy! ...

Timing again tho as we need to renew passports and get the medical yet. I spose I shoulda sorted these by now, but didn't wanna start shelling out till we at least had the buyer!

We're gonna need to show about £50k when we apply and that's gonna be fun obtaining! ... ... but we'd like to get the Visa's before 'complete' in an ideal world!

It's gonna be a busy January, that's all I know.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

On the study in australia link you need to go to information for education providers, you will find it there.

Will let you know how quickly we get an answer.

Claire
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2004
Hi Claire, I was goin thru DIMIA's Study section yesterday, but must've missed that.

I'm gonna go have a read up now, but that seems handy! ...

Timing again tho as we need to renew passports and get the medical yet. I spose I shoulda sorted these by now, but didn't wanna start shelling out till we at least had the buyer!

We're gonna need to show about £50k when we apply and that's gonna be fun obtaining! ... ... but we'd like to get the Visa's before 'complete' in an ideal world!

It's gonna be a busy January, that's all I know.
Good luck with it all, it sounds like you are in for a wild ride for a few months at least. We met friends here who are over as her husband is a doctor and working at the local hospital and they are in the same position that they can't apply for PR for 2 years, even though he is fully qualified and experienced etc., then they can be thrown out depending on the number of Aussie medical students at that time. There are no certainties but sometimes you just have to go for it and at the very least you have memories rather than wondering what if.
Have a good Christmas and we will look you up for a haircut if we are in the area on holidays.
Nicky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.