Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Oh My God! Maggots coming out of my

Oh My God! Maggots coming out of my

Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh My God! Maggots coming out of my

Wheelie-bin.
Its been the hottest day of the year so far and we have maggots dropping out of our wheelie-bin so fast even the birds cant keep up with taking them away.

We are so careful how we chuck rubbish in the bin, we even put the bags in black sack bags and tie them really tight.

And we even have a food disposal in the kitchen, so it just goes to show it does not make any difference what you do, YOU NEED YOUR BINS EMPTYING WEEKLY not fortnightly.

I just cant cope with seeing the maggots dropping out of the bin and the distance they can go.

I watch them (from inside) go right across the garden.

I'm never going to sleep tonight knowing what awaits me in the morning.

What do others do about this problem? I just hate them.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh My God! Maggots coming out of my

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Wheelie-bin.
Its been the hottest day of the year so far and we have maggots dropping out of our wheelie-bin so fast even the birds cant keep up with taking them away.

We are so careful how we chuck rubbish in the bin, we even put the bags in black sack bags and tie them really tight.

And we even have a food disposal in the kitchen, so it just goes to show it does not make any difference what you do, YOU NEED YOUR BINS EMPTYING WEEKLY not fortnightly.

I just cant cope with seeing the maggots dropping out of the bin and the distance they can go.

Your bins get emptied fortnightly? Ours are done weekly. We suffer with flies and ants around the bin when its warm but no maggots thank god.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Ours are done twice a week with recycling fortnightly!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Letspretend....
Ours (Melbourne SE) are done once a week, or recycling fortnightly.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:57 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Don't throw away so much food?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:00 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your leftover/for recycling/food garbage in a sealed container in the fridge until the day of collection.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:48 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

If you can bear it, pour boiling water all round the bin once emptied.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

all the ants keep the maggots away
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:29 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought this foul smelling plastic device - highly toxic. You clip it round the handle of the bin and it hangs inside the bin - it kills the flies.

We have had no maggots or anything - it is due to be replaced as it lasts 3-4 months I think, but is still going strong. I think its called 'bin rid' or something, we bought it from coles.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Save all your meat and other such stuff and put into a container in the freezer, freezer is better than fridge and then get out on the day its going and by the time they pick it up it should be just thawing but not growing maggots.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Petals
Save all your meat and other such stuff and put into a container in the freezer, freezer is better than fridge and then get out on the day its going and by the time they pick it up it should be just thawing but not growing maggots.
yes, thats what i do, all food scraps go in the freezer until bin day.

had maggots twice before i learnt to this, and oh was at work so had to deal with it myself eugh!!!!!
poor boiling water over the bin & they die off and when bins emptied do the same inside & bleach it. not nice
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about Oz, but here in the UK we keep our wheelie bin in the shade and don't get maggots. My neighbour left hers in the sun and always got maggots until I told her to keep it in the shade.

Oz is obviously much hotter than here, so not sure if it will solve the problem over there.

We also keep everything in bags and they are tied up tight and go in the bin. No loose food waste goes in ours.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 2nd 2009 at 10:48 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

This has happened to me twice since being here (4 months) and we don't put unwrapped food in the bin. I just wash the bin out with boiling water and bleach once the binmen have been. When I consider all of the things that live in Australia, some mindless, harmless maggots now and again are not stressing me too much. I was much more concerned about the absolutely MASSIVE spider I found in a tree the other week. Sprayed it with killer and ran.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Letspretend....
But people rummaging through your rubbish doesn't count
It needs to be a full extraction to count
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Wheelie-bin.

Our bins get emptied once a week with the recycling and green bin on alternate fortnights.

Havent seen any maggots yet but im not particularly careful with my rubbish.

Does it really matter if you get some maggots here and there? It's not like you keep your wheelie inside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.