Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ocean/sea perimeters?

Ocean/sea perimeters?

Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ocean/sea perimeters?

Bit of an odd one but you know me Does anyone know of a 'map' that shows the oceans and seas and where the joins are? Obviously it's movable water but I'm wondering, for example, where the Pacific ends and the Coral Sea starts? On some maps, there's no mention of the Coral Sea, we just have the Pacific on the doorstep, but others show the Coral Sea as running down QLD coast, which then becomes the Pacific but where and how do 'they' know
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ocean/sea perimeters?

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-ocean-map.htm

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Feb 19th 2008 at 5:09 am.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:11 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but I think maybe I want to see something that isn't doable The second link looked interesting for when I have a spare week. love geology. Your work is good but the first link is too basic and the second too complicated
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:32 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bit of an odd one but you know me Does anyone know of a 'map' that shows the oceans and seas and where the joins are? Obviously it's movable water but I'm wondering, for example, where the Pacific ends and the Coral Sea starts? On some maps, there's no mention of the Coral Sea, we just have the Pacific on the doorstep, but others show the Coral Sea as running down QLD coast, which then becomes the Pacific but where and how do 'they' know
A very rough guide according to the charts I inherited from my Dad:
Coral Sea runs from PNG South to just South of Sydney where the Tazman sea starts. The Coral Sea extends Eastwards to the western coasts of New Caledonia.
Have a look here: http://encarta.msn.com/map_701511835/coral_sea.html
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

OK that's cool. I thought, from maps I've seen that the Coral Sea disappeared just south of us. How you have a sea within an ocean I don't understand but not to worry. I'd forgotten about Encarta. I'll have to look up a few others that puzzle me. Shame they don't show the 'borders' though
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
OK that's cool. I thought, from maps I've seen that the Coral Sea disappeared just south of us. How you have a sea within an ocean I don't understand but not to worry. I'd forgotten about Encarta. I'll have to look up a few others that puzzle me. Shame they don't show the 'borders' though
Yep technically it's all the Pacific