Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Not so obvious things that every new Australian resident needs to know

Not so obvious things that every new Australian resident needs to know

Old Nov 20th 2015, 11:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not so obvious things that every new Australian resident needs to know

Originally Posted by astera
QLD is cooler than Perth? I mean yeah man, QLD is the place to be - no doubt about it - coolest place in the country.

But on a more serious note, temperature-wise it surely doesn't get beaten by Perth, does it?
Perth is very dry and has 40+ days in summer. In winter it gets way colder than here. They also have shedloads of flies. Not a fan but there are some very nice people over there.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not so obvious things that every new Australian resident needs to know

Originally Posted by GarryP
I refer the honourable gentleman to the example of the pink batts - where said idiots were taking a staple gun (metal staples), foil based insulation, and stapling through said foil with said metal staples into mains wiring that they must have seen as they offered up the insulation.

Hence the need to extreme levels of red tape - to deal with people who need detailed instructions as to how to put on a pair of trousers....
I've lived in other countries your honour and seen the worst...oh ok, case dismissed.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Not so obvious things that every new Australian resident needs to know

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Perth is very dry and has 40+ days in summer. In winter it gets way colder than here. They also have shedloads of flies. Not a fan but there are some very nice people over there.
The flies are horrendous! We went back in 2008 for eight months and the kids and I flew over for a family reunion in Albany. We arrived really late at night and Qantas lost our bags. We had to leave really early the next morning to drive to Albany. We stopped for breakfast at a service station and Qantas called me to give me an update on our luggage. I went outside to give them a serve (I was a bit cranky that we had no clothes to wear) and during my rant I started to cough and choke - the lady on the other end was really concerned and was asking "are you okay, are you okay", to which I replied "no, I'm not bloody okay, I forgot I was back in WA and I've just swallowed a fly!!!!" I'd forgotten not to open your mouth too wide while breathing in while outdoors in WA.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kim67
I forgot I was back in WA
While on the subject of WA never trust the way people indicate in or entering a round about in WA - no one seems to know what they are doing Particularly the habit of indicating right when going straight over (second exit) in said round about

I still love it here though
Old Nov 21st 2015, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce67
While on the subject of WA never trust the way people indicate in or entering a round about in WA - no one seems to know what they are doing Particularly the habit of indicating right when going straight over (second exit) in said round about

I still love it here though
Don't get me started on roundabouts.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
The flies are horrendous! We went back in 2008 for eight months and the kids and I flew over for a family reunion in Albany. We arrived really late at night and Qantas lost our bags. We had to leave really early the next morning to drive to Albany. We stopped for breakfast at a service station and Qantas called me to give me an update on our luggage. I went outside to give them a serve (I was a bit cranky that we had no clothes to wear) and during my rant I started to cough and choke - the lady on the other end was really concerned and was asking "are you okay, are you okay", to which I replied "no, I'm not bloody okay, I forgot I was back in WA and I've just swallowed a fly!!!!" I'd forgotten not to open your mouth too wide while breathing in while outdoors in WA.
There was the main thing I didn'tlike on my last trip over there. The heat is different because its not so humid, which was much nicer. Walking for 20 minutes in 33 degrees over there was do-able, in brisbane its impossible. But the flies Beer bottle in one hand, fly swat in the other the whole weekend!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 21st 2015 at 10:50 am.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 10:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There was the main thing I didn'tlike on my last trip over there. The heat is different because its not so humid, which was much nicer. Walking for 20 minutes in 33 degrees over there was do-able, in brisbane its impossible. But the flies Bee bottle in one hand, fly swat in the other the whole weekend!
Wots one of dem den?..

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 21st 2015 at 10:49 am.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Wots one of dem den?..
its me typing without me glasses on cos they've steamed up in the heat!
Old Nov 21st 2015, 10:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
its me typing without me glasses on cos they've steamed up in the heat!
Sorry thought a fly had landed on the keyboard at the wrong time..
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

What's up with that? They sort of hike the price unexpectedly (in unison) to sheer the sheep that day?
Filled up today... 113.5.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 7:21 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Aren't we still just past the peak of the current cycle?
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aren't we still just past the peak of the current cycle?
Went past three servos in Western suburbs (Jindalee, Sumner) and been that price since the Saturday. Everywhere else is still 135 -139 around Brisbane.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 8:35 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Went past three servos in Western suburbs (Jindalee, Sumner) and been that price since the Saturday. Everywhere else is still 135 -139 around Brisbane.
Not sure exactly where you are, there are always local effects to take into consideration. However the terminal gate price is currently 110.5 so allowing for the big boys to get fuel at a slightly lower price, and for their vouchers, that price is close to the zero profit level.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Not sure exactly where you are, there are always local effects to take into consideration. However the terminal gate price is currently 110.5 so allowing for the big boys to get fuel at a slightly lower price, and for their vouchers, that price is close to the zero profit level.
I am Jindalee. It's a welcome relief. They even smiled and said have a good day when I paid.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am Jindalee. It's a welcome relief. They even smiled and said have a good day when I paid.
We've got down to 128. Whoop di doo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.