Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Not many people to talk to but so excited!

Not many people to talk to but so excited!

Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice
Thumbs down Not many people to talk to but so excited!

Hi all!

So we're wanting to move to Perth, and I am so excited! Even though there is absolutely no certainty in this yet (OH has to do a whole RPL thing) but no matter, I'm still dead excited!

BUT I CAN'T TELL ANYONE!! It's not fair!

I've told my family, and that's no problem, they're cool with it. But we can't tell his Mother, she's much older (63) we can't take her with us - she would fail a medical with all her ailments and it's not that I want to be callous but my childs life is more important. OH has told his sister and brother but sworn them not to say anything - if we leave, then she will be on her own and I do feel terribly awful for that, but she does have the chance to be family sponsored out to NZ where OH's brother lives.

I can't talk about it at work, OH and I work for the same place, a condition of this visa application is that he has to stay in his current employment for the duration of the application, our company is really horrible and if they get a sniff that anyone wants to leave, they find a way to oust them. It's not fair.

I AM SO EXCITED AND CAN'T SAY A THING!!

That's it ... just needed to get that off my chest and share it with someone who probably is suffering just like I am!

Is there *anyone* I can talk to?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Not many people to talk to but so excited!

Originally Posted by SW3105
Hi all!

So we're wanting to move to Perth, and I am so excited! Even though there is absolutely no certainty in this yet (OH has to do a whole RPL thing) but no matter, I'm still dead excited!

I've told my family, and that's no problem, they're cool with it. But we can't tell his Mother, she's much older (63) we can't take her with us - she would fail a medical with all her ailments and it's not that I want to be callous but my childs life is more important. OH has told his sister and brother but sworn them not to say anything - if we leave, then she will be on her own and I do feel terribly awful for that, but she does have the chance to be family sponsored out to NZ where OH's brother lives.

I can't talk about it at work, OH and I work for the same place, a condition of this visa application is that he has to stay in his current employment for the duration of the application, our company is really horrible and if they get a sniff that anyone wants to leave, they find a way to oust them. It's not fair.

That's it ... just needed to get that off my chest and share it with someone who probably is suffering just like I am!

yeah talk to us...

good luck with the application, hope it all goes smoothly for you guys.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck guys im sure you can keep it away from your company. If they see u grinning uncontrollably tell them u have bought a piece of land to build your dream house they dont av to know where the new house is gonna be do they.

Suexx
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:45 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the process and just come on here when you feel like you wanna talk about it.

Welcome to BE btw.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:50 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. You can talk to us. Think I would have gone mad if i hadnt found this site. None of our families have been particularly helpful or interested in what we are doing. We work at the same place too but they have been great with refs etc. Hope all goes well with your application.

Joex
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Welcome to BE. You can talk to us. Think I would have gone mad if i hadnt found this site. None of our families have been particularly helpful or interested in what we are doing. We work at the same place too but they have been great with refs etc. Hope all goes well with your application.

Joex
Hi Joe,

Know what you mean about family not being interested. Any time we have brought it up with the family around they just change the subject But as I said to OH, I will not let them take away from our excitement. They have said unfair things to our 2 kids, like, we'll never see you again if you move to Oz or what if you don't like it you won't be able to come home :curse: This makes me mad :curse:
BTW, welcome to the OP

Helena
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

Thank you! Too right I'll come and chat here! I'm quite a forum lover anyway - that's why OH has put me on the job of finding out bits and pieces.

Is anyone else taking little people? Our daughter is 1 (just turned one on Tuesday!) We're looking at going in around 18 months provided everything goes right, so she'll be 2 and a half. When we get there, we plan on settling us all down for about a year and then trying for our next baby.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Feel free to tell us all how excited you are - we know how you are feeling.

We went through a period of not being able to say anything and it was very tough. So I sympathise with you.

Have fun on BE.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:44 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

welcome and good luck - everyone's great on here!
Ems x
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smiling4
welcome and good luck - everyone's great on here!
Ems x
Thanks everyone! I think what is making it much worse is the usual mothers guilt about going back to work (she has only just turned 1) and hating where I'm working but knowing that I'm paid a decent salary and only work 3 days a week ..

Not talking about it is really hard. OH is going to start looking at the RPL next weekend, he's going to be away for the next 3 nights for work, so I might sneak a little look at the forms, see if there is anythign I can do - I doubt it, but I might be able to help him when it comes to it.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! I think what is making it much worse is the usual mothers guilt about going back to work (she has only just turned 1) and hating where I'm working but knowing that I'm paid a decent salary and only work 3 days a week ..

Not talking about it is really hard. OH is going to start looking at the RPL next weekend, he's going to be away for the next 3 nights for work, so I might sneak a little look at the forms, see if there is anythign I can do - I doubt it, but I might be able to help him when it comes to it.
Can I just prepare you a little. The RPL is possibly one of the hardest skills assessments and to complete it properly takes quite a long time. Try not to stress if it takes your OH weeks or months to do it. It is better to complete it carefully and make sure that all his abilities and experience are highlighted, rather than rush it and risk failing, just because you didn't put everything down. I know this is frustrating and depressing, but honestly, it is worth it.

Good luck.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:19 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
yeah talk to us...

good luck with the application, hope it all goes smoothly for you guys.
Ditto I know what you mean I won't mention it at work either in case I don't get on any courses to improve my skills etc HO HUM but I love BE and all the LUSH people out there keeping the dream alive x x x
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

It took ages, (2 years and 7 months to be exact) for us to get our visa.

We mentioned it to our families in the beginning and they were "whatever, you'll never do it"

In the end we just got on with it, and I felt like a liar as time went on because we were doing things that our friends and family didn't know about.

When I told one of my best friends about a year into the process, she stopped talking to me, so we didn't bother telling anyone else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always think that some of our friends were just plain jealous that we took the chance and got away with it. Maybe there are more people who would like to do it but who just don't have the guts to say, "well, I'll give it a go, all I can do is fail". There was always the chance that we'd fail ... anyway, luckily, we didn't.

When the visa came, and we'd to tell people, they were gobsmacked! We booked flights to validate and then got the chance of employment and took it so at the end everything was very rushed.

We've never looked back, it was the best thing we could have done. I don't love every day here, but I do love the life we have here.

It's all worth it in the end.

M
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:43 am
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Welcome to BE.

You'll get some fantastic advice off people from this forum. Both professionally and personally.

I know how you feel about the family. Mine are a nightmare.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to BE, this is a great place to come and chat with like-minded people when you feel like you are going crazy!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.