Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

No more African refugees

No more African refugees

Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:03 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No more African refugees

I would really like to know where the logic of the "accept all refugees" folk leads them.

Depending on how you define a refugee there must be several billion of them on the planet. If they all managed to turn up on the borders of one country do you let them all in? Or one in 100? or what?

And in the greater scheme of things, if a population is being tyrannised by a ruling clique, is it not better for the long term outlook for the population to evict them, rather than for dissidents to leave and reduce dissidence by doing so?

Just curious....
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:28 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I would really like to know where the logic of the "accept all refugees" folk leads them.

Depending on how you define a refugee there must be several billion of them on the planet. If they all managed to turn up on the borders of one country do you let them all in? Or one in 100? or what?

And in the greater scheme of things, if a population is being tyrannised by a ruling clique, is it not better for the long term outlook for the population to evict them, rather than for dissidents to leave and reduce dissidence by doing so?

Just curious....
At the risk of being dragged back into this conversation
  • I don’t believe that you should allow in all refugees, I used to live in Britain and can testify that this is not a good idea
  • I do believe that the immigration process is being abused (subverted) by some
  • I do believe that there should be some humanitarian element to Australia’s immigration intake, I make no judgments as to which countries this intake should be from
  • I don’t believe that politicians should demonize sections of the population in order to stay in power
  • It's easy for people who have never faced the barrel of a gun being held by someone authorized to shoot your ass dead no questioned asked to say that you should stay and fight (look at Burma, lots dead, no change)
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

This issue was brought up late August but has recently resurfaced. I think that the government is being honest ( for once) enough to say that at the moment the program is not working, and until we can get it right, lets stop and think what we can do better before we continue.

Here is an excerpt from the "Australian " last August.

The Australian recently ran such an article. Reporter Carol Overington produced a typical warm and fuzzy piece on how well the Sudanese refugees are settling in to the Queensland town of Toowoomba. She started her piece with the story of Thomas Thiik, a recent refugee from Sudan, who had just been released from jail after serving three months for repeat driving offences.

In an insult to our intelligence Overington reported that Thiik did not understand our laws relating to driving, notwithstanding that he had received numerous warnings, fines and even a suspension.

Hang on a minute. How is that these same people only need one lesson at a bleeding heart, government funded church group or social agency to learn how to apply for the dole and all the other taxpayer-funded benefits?

The real reason Thiik broke the law so many times is explained by a senior teacher at a Perth northern suburbs high school that caters to a large number of Somali and Sudanese students.

"Refugees from war-torn countries such as Somalia and Sudan have been brought up in a brutal, totally lawless society", the teacher told Australian News Commentary. "They do not follow rules. They have no respect for Australian law. In fact they have no respect for human life. Death means little to them."

I would hate us to get in the same position as the UK, where racism and political correctness seems to have overshadowed everything else. How about a bit of balance between the two.?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:27 pm

GSNR will become famous soon enoughGSNR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by auspal
This issue was brought up late August but has recently resurfaced. I think that the government is being honest ( for once) enough to say that at the moment the program is not working, and until we can get it right, lets stop and think what we can do better before we continue.

Here is an excerpt from the "Australian " last August.

"Refugees from war-torn countries such as Somalia and Sudan have been brought up in a brutal, totally lawless society", the teacher told Australian News Commentary. "They do not follow rules. They have no respect for Australian law. In fact they have no respect for human life. Death means little to them."
_________________[/B]

I would hate us to get in the same position as the UK, where racism and political correctness seems to have overshadowed everything else. How about a bit of balance between the two.?
This is spot on!!! Australia need to be very selective on who they allow in, to protect the Australian communities!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:51 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I don't see why Australia should be obliged to take any refugees from anywhere. It is not the responsibility of the west to take in the whole third world. A governments main priority is to protect it's people. Bringing in hoards of refugees with TB/HIV etc. that do little to integrate into the society is something no government should do. Howard gets my vote.
Perhaps if the governments around the world stopped sitting on the fence and watching things unfold into anarchy we wouldn't have such an issue with people escaping countries. Having said this, it won't stop the economic migrants coming under the facade of fearing for their life. I think it's about time a country stemmed the tide a bit. If we appear easy to get into or a soft touch every will try and get here.

As I have always said; if someone is chasing you with a knife and there are a row of houses ahead of you with their light on, which door do you bang on for help? The first house or the tenth house? Why travel such distances to get somewhere when passing other safe havens?

Perhaps it would have been more helpful for the Fed gov to say we are going for a quota system to ensure it is fair as the African sector are forming a large proportion of those coming in. Sometimes it's the way you say it.

Last edited by killamarsh; Oct 8th 2007 at 12:55 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:18 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Immigration Minister, anecdotal evidence, putative lies etc. just pandering to racists in Oz, especially with election coming....
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:56 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSNR
Australia need to be very selective on who they allow in, to protect the Australian communities!
Too right! If I was in charge of immigration to Australia I'd never allow in some of the bigoted fools that infect this site.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:07 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by balkanghost
Immigration Minister, anecdotal evidence, putative lies etc. just pandering to racists in Oz, especially with election coming....
As a politician and elected representative of our government, Mr Andrews must make decisions based on what feels serves the populist opinion.

Therefore if his opponents are accusing him of 'playing the race card' with an election looming, surely this criticism backfires on them.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:59 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Perhaps if the governments around the world stopped sitting on the fence and watching things unfold into anarchy we wouldn't have such an issue with people escaping countries. .
Perhaps they should all get involved in a few more conflicts then? Lets face it they've all done a great job in Iraq
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:12 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Perhaps they should all get involved in a few more conflicts then? Lets face it they've all done a great job in Iraq
I was referring to areas of the Africas where they have let things turn into anarchy and now they are saying oh dear. They then wonder why countries around the world are experiencing such a deluge of migrants who are asking for refuge be that genuine or not.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Ned, they transfered the work we used to do back home after the Tampa incident; dont presume to tell me that my friends didnt lose their jobs or that them losing thier jobs doesnt matter. I'm sure that Howard & Costello apreciate your vote and your general attitude; keep spreading word of their good works!
Don't worry about Howard Ex, he's on the way out...blind freddy can see that Howard is totally out of touch with the rest of real Australia down here in the actual world. Just remember at the ballot box, "Australian families have never been better off" !

I agree with you, it is very easy for us, from the privlege of our arm chairs, to judge others who are facing unimaginable hardship in their home countries. Stay and fight? Well that's hard when your sister has been raped in front of you, your mother shot, and you have no-where to go. I worked with young asylum seekers from different parts of Africa (including Sudan), and I found them to be very genuine, law abiding, sensitive young people who have been through a hell of a lot. The last thing they need is racism on top of their already traumatic experiences and dislocation from their family (for those family members that are still alive).

Last edited by Vegemite; Oct 10th 2007 at 7:15 am.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:07 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by elfman
Too right! If I was in charge of immigration to Australia I'd never allow in some of the bigoted fools that infect this site.
You write like one of them.
Being a racist is a disease you need to cure it.
Which means you have problems with yourself.
The question is don't other people do wrong in the society?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ige
You write like one of them.
Being a racist is a disease you need to cure it.
Which means you have problems with yourself.
The question is don't other people do wrong in the society?
Luckily some of Elfman's more inflammatory statements have been wiped off this thread. Let's hope he gets the message.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's very interesting how the epithet "racist" is so easily chucked around.

There are an awful lot of things in this world that we don't like but burying heads in the sand and ignoring real or imagined problems isn't actually going to help much in the long term.

Enoch may or may not have been a racist, depending on how you choose to define it. But a lot of people believe that what he forecast is coming about. Stating the truth as you see it, right or wrong, shouldn't automatically exclude one from being able to make a point. The very people who would attempt to silence those who *they* define as racists are often the same as those who aggressively defend their freedom to demonstrate.

Sudan is a good example: having been there several times I can see the inequalities, the poverty and the - not unconnected - ruling administration's tactics and hardline beliefs. I feel immense sorrow that people live like that. But to excuse antisocial behaviour amongst refugees from that country doesn't do anyone any good. There appears to be evidence that certain sections of refugee communities are pretty lawless, and to ignore that patronises the majority who are not, makes the job of the law enforcement agencies next to impossible and certainly doesn't persuade "racists" to change their opinions.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:42 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au...mediaid=110349

Please take a look at this and look at the video
titled:- Racial comment blamed for attack

How can you attack someone on a wheelchair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.