Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Nice little property near Bendigo

Nice little property near Bendigo

Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice little property near Bendigo

Originally Posted by Hels
Not sure what work you are thinking is difficult to get here, but I dont know anyone thats had too much trouble getting work.

its growing at a rapid rate here in Bendigo and there are alot more opportunities here than there ever has been before.
Thats the constant feedback I've had over the years Hels. My 27 year old niece feels if she were ever to lose her job at Castle hams, down in Castlemaine she would never find work again ? Thats a bit of a trek in itself, it took her about 18 months to find that job. The only other jobs she could find previous to that, where bits of jobs in retail.... Kmart, chemists, newsagents etc.

I will admit, since my wifes mother and gran died, I dont get upto Bendigo as much as I used too. On my frequents visits in the past, I used to scour the local papers out of interest for jobs, It was very rare that I could find one I could apply for, from my unskilled middle age point of view. What would a a bloke of middle years find in Bendigo do you think ?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
2 hours west of the gold coast you would find similar value, probably cheaper, nice and hot too
Probably be too hot then - no pleasing some folk Think I will stick with my one and half acres - less work involved
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thats the constant feedback I've had over the years Hels. My 27 year old niece feels if she were ever to lose her job at Castle hams, down in Castlemaine she would never find work again ? Thats a bit of a trek in itself, it took her about 18 months to find that job. The only other jobs she could find previous to that, where bits of jobs in retail.... Kmart, chemists, newsagents etc.

I will admit, since my wifes mother and gran died, I dont get upto Bendigo as much as I used too. On my frequents visits in the past, I used to scour the local papers out of interest for jobs, It was very rare that I could find one I could apply for, from my unskilled middle age point of view. What would a a bloke of middle years find in Bendigo do you think ?

I guess it depends really!! Only 20% of jobs are ever actually advertised. So no your not going to find that many jobs in a country newspaper. You need to get out there and meet people and network a little more than you do in the City.

My Mum moved here and the only background she had was as a trainer for Telecom for 20 years. She had no degree or formal training as such. She has had no problems finding work.

I have only ever had experience working for the old CES and then private agency work in the UK and it took me no time to find work.

I am currently working in Employment up here at La Trobe and the students seem to find it pretty easy to get work.

Kevhaze who post on here arrived in December last year. Admittedly Kev is a mechanic, and like my hubby, had no real probs finding work once he started seriously looking. However Hazel, who has an admin background did have a little more trouble actually securing a job, but still got one in what I would consider a reasonable amount of time. It was a temp job that then turned into a permanent one.

I am sure that for some, it might be more difficult than others, but thats going to happen anywhere.

I certainly wouldnt discount Bendigo as an option based on a fear of finding work. It is here if you look.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
I guess it depends really!! Only 20% of jobs are ever actually advertised. So no your not going to find that many jobs in a country newspaper. You need to get out there and meet people and network a little more than you do in the City.

My Mum moved here and the only background she had was as a trainer for Telecom for 20 years. She had no degree or formal training as such. She has had no problems finding work.

I have only ever had experience working for the old CES and then private agency work in the UK and it took me no time to find work.

I am currently working in Employment up here at La Trobe and the students seem to find it pretty easy to get work.

Kevhaze who post on here arrived in December last year. Admittedly Kev is a mechanic, and like my hubby, had no real probs finding work once he started seriously looking. However Hazel, who has an admin background did have a little more trouble actually securing a job, but still got one in what I would consider a reasonable amount of time. It was a temp job that then turned into a permanent one.

I am sure that for some, it might be more difficult than others, but thats going to happen anywhere.

I certainly wouldnt discount Bendigo as an option based on a fear of finding work. It is here if you look.

Thats good feedback Hels, I would hate to put new migrants off of chasing a new life. It just shows how different perceptions can be. Sitting around in my wife's mature maternal family abodes, complete with their contemporary associates, Probably isn't condusive to positive feedback on the local area job front. Whereas you out there in the thick of it probably is a more pertinent point of view.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good feedback Hels, I would hate to put new migrants off of chasing a new life. It just shows how different perceptions can be. Sitting around in my wife's mature maternal family abodes, complete with their contemporary associates, Probably isn't condusive to positive feedback on the local area job front. Whereas you out there in the thick of it probably is a more pertinent point of view.
I think I understood that
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think I understood that

Hmmm I see what you mean lol !!!

To tell you the truth, one of the reasons I started going on BBS's about 4 years or so ago, was to improve my writing and language skills.

I think I've started to overdo it ! LOL Either that or I've got a way to go.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Either I still have a way to go also, but I actually understood it