British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/news-today-driving-test-now-required-all-new-immigrants-711649/)

Buzzy--Bee Mar 31st 2011 8:33 pm

News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

The Minister for Immigration, Chris Bowen, has today announced that all new immigrants will be required to pass a driving test, no matter which country they have lived in previously.

Mr Bowen stated "It has been noticed that driving competence from other countries is not to the same standard as that in Australia. In particular, drivers are not used to the higher powered vehicles available in Australia, correct lane usage, traffic conditions and general road courtesy. I have therefore introduced this measure to improve road safety and reduce Australia's road death toll."

Mr Bowen confirmed that the new ruling would take immediate effect today, April 1st, 2011.

BB

spuddyo Mar 31st 2011 9:02 pm

Re: News today - Driving test now required for all new immigrants

When I came to Australia in 1994 that was how it was done. Full driving test including 3 point turn, emergency stop, reverse park etc after 17 years of driving was very traumatic.

Maybe they should bring it back for all the reasons you mention, July 1st would be a better date to introduce such a scheme though. ;)

Alfresco Mar 31st 2011 9:56 pm

:eek:

;)

joho Mar 31st 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9277990)
:eek:

;)

Hmmmmmm is this an April Fool......

Jo

Fluid36 Mar 31st 2011 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9277813)
The Minister for Immigration, Chris Bowen, has today announced that all new immigrants will be required to pass a driving test, no matter which country they have lived in previously.

Mr Bowen stated "It has been noticed that driving competence from other countries is not to the same standard as that in Australia. In particular, drivers are not used to the higher powered vehicles available in Australia, correct lane usage, traffic conditions and general road courtesy. I have therefore introduced this measure to improve road safety and reduce Australia's road death toll."

Mr Bowen confirmed that the new ruling would take immediate effect today, April 1st, 2011.

BB

This is a joke, Australians are terrible drivers. Just because there are loads of v8 holdens and fords here doesn't mean they can drive.

deb68 Mar 31st 2011 11:48 pm

Scientists have just discovered a new species of immigrant, it's been spotted wearing baggy shorts ankle length with pumps and a basketball top with american baseball cap slightly to one side with greasy looking unkept hair under it, with a blank yet bored expression on its spotty face, they have named it the emogrunt, because thats all it does:eek:

Amazulu Mar 31st 2011 11:55 pm

What date is it today?

Petals Apr 1st 2011 12:01 am

Won't need to bother as 40 speed limit all over Melbourne and 80 on country roads and freeways, also heard on radio today 1st April, hope it is a joke :D

elice_in_oz Apr 1st 2011 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Petals (Post 9278243)
Won't need to bother as 40 speed limit all over Melbourne and 80 on country roads and freeways, also heard on radio today 1st April, hope it is a joke :D

The 40 speed limit is a serious proposition. The 80 speed limit was a joke. Driving test is a joke! Well done BB, you fooled me for the time it took to google it!

Fluid36 Apr 1st 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz (Post 9278394)
The 40 speed limit is a serious proposition. The 80 speed limit was a joke. Driving test is a joke! Well done BB, you fooled me for the time it took to google it!

good joke BB.

MarkandS Apr 1st 2011 8:09 am

I note that it seems to be a joke, though I would suggest that they re test Australians to bring them up to the standards expected by those cpoming here!

Sally Simpson Apr 3rd 2011 3:23 am

Originally Posted by MarkandS (Post 9278895)
I note that it seems to be a joke, though I would suggest that they re test Australians to bring them up to the standards expected by those cpoming here!

:thumbup:

Rambi Apr 3rd 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by MarkandS (Post 9278895)

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 9282030)
:thumbup:

Let me guess, neither of you passed a local test to get your Aussie licence ;) (Or you're still on your UK licence.)

There's a pattern I've detected. :lol:

Sally Simpson Apr 4th 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283282)
Let me guess, neither of you passed a local test to get your Aussie licence ;) (Or you're still on your UK licence.)

There's a pattern I've detected. :lol:

:D I have a QLD licence & no, I didn't have to do any kind of test. I have done the practice theory test online though & failed!:o :lol:

Alfresco Apr 4th 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 9283426)
:D I have a QLD licence & no, I didn't have to do any kind of test. I have done the practice theory test online though & failed!:o :lol:

:ohmy:

I'll stay away from NEQ then. :lol:

Rambi Apr 4th 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 9283426)

That supports the pattern I've detected. :thumbup:

Those that got their licence off the back of a cornflake packet (i.e. straight swap) are those most likely to complain about Aussie driving standards. :unsure: :lol:

Sally Simpson Apr 4th 2011 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9283433)
:ohmy:

I'll stay away from NEQ then. :lol:

:lol: It was all the questions on who has right of way that did it. I'm just too polite!

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283435)

What pattern is that then?

paulry Apr 4th 2011 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283435)

Those that got their licence off the back of a cornflake packet (i.e. straight swap) are those most likely to complain about Aussie driving standards. :unsure: :lol:

How did you get your licence?

Rambi Apr 4th 2011 1:06 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9283474)
How did you get your licence?

I sat a test. When I passed they exchanged my existing licence.

Sally Simpson Apr 4th 2011 1:13 am

I sat a test to get my UK driving licence, why would I need to do another one here?

Where did you learn to drive originally? If you were required to sit another test to be licensed here, then obviously Australia does not consider the standard to be adequate where you come from.

I don't just complain about Aussie drivers anyway, I would complain about all people who drive like idiots, especially in the wet!

paulry Apr 4th 2011 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283478)
I sat a test. When I passed they exchanged my existing licence.

Now I understand why it's a bit of an ongoing issue for you. In which country did you originally pass your test?

Alfresco Apr 4th 2011 1:42 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9283483)
Now I understand why it's a bit of an ongoing issue for you. In which country did you originally pass your test?

bump ;)

Rambi Apr 4th 2011 2:15 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9283483)

UK (apparently the standard is really crap there ;)). Not sure what the "ongoing issue" is?

I get the impression that I'm causing some irritation with this observation. It's just an observation. When they changed from a test to a straight swap I thought there would be quite a few people driving around who didn't know the local rules. And it has panned out that way.

The rules are not that different to the UK but there are some differences. How many here know that if you are pulling out of a T-junction you're supposed to give way to a pedestrian crossing the main road? Overtaking on the left. I hear people complain about that one on a frequent basis. It's allowed in the rules under a defined set of conditions. Not just when traffic is "queuing".

paulry Apr 4th 2011 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283519)
UK (apparently the standard is really crap there ;)). Not sure what the "ongoing issue" is?

I get the impression that I'm causing some irritation with this observation. It's just an observation. When they changed from a test to a straight swap I thought there would be quite a few people driving around who didn't know the local rules. And it has panned out that way.

The rules are not that different to the UK but there are some differences. How many here know that if you are pulling out of a T-junction you're supposed to give way to a pedestrian crossing the main road? Overtaking on the left. I hear people complain about that one on a frequent basis. It's allowed in the rules under a defined set of conditions. Not just when traffic is "queuing".

No your irritation has been noticed - that's all. How long did it take you to pass your Aussie test?

Rambi Apr 4th 2011 2:39 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9283537)
No your irritation has been noticed - that's all. How long did it take you to pass your Aussie test?

No irritation on my part. Just funny seeing people complaining when they're not au fait with the local rules.

About 30 mins.

paulry Apr 4th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283542)
No irritation on my part. Just funny seeing people complaining when they're not au fait with the local rules.

About 30 mins.

Perhaps a complementary rules of the road book would be a good accompaniment to the straight licence swap? I myself have read through the book but only because eldest has it in preparation for his road ready test.

cresta57 Apr 4th 2011 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283542)

About 30 mins.

When we arrived testing was still mandatory in Qld. Yes I'm also aware of giving way to pedestrians when turning. It irks though that in many cases those pedestrians are on a red light at their crossing point, yet still wander across without a care. :thumbdown:
It's not just the driving that is bad the pedestrians are a worry as well;)

bcworld Apr 4th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283519)
How many here know that if you are pulling out of a T-junction you're supposed to give way to a pedestrian crossing the main road?

But that rule also stands in the UK.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069858

•turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

...so if people are following the UK rules they should be sweet in that case!

I've actually found it's 'the locals' who are unaware of that rule. Pointed it out to my ex once who had just blasted the horn at some poor pedestrian who happened to be on the road. Didn't believe me, neither did some others.

When people give their negative observations of drivers I don't think they're complaining about people yielding to pedestrians...they're talking about tailgating, purposely closing gaps to prevent other cars changing lanes and general aggression. The middle one of those is something I really feel is a local trait, I can't explain it and I'm sure it's not due to some local rule I'm not aware of...I hope not anyway!:D

Pollyana Apr 4th 2011 5:24 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9283680)

•turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

I've actually found it's 'the locals' who are unaware of that rule. Pointed it out to my ex once who had just blasted the horn at some poor pedestrian who happened to be on the road. Didn't believe me, neither did some others.

When people give their negative observations of drivers I don't think they're complaining about people yielding to pedestrians...they're talking about tailgating, purposely closing gaps to prevent other cars changing lanes and general aggression. The middle one of those is something I really feel is a local trait, I can't explain it and I'm sure it's not due to some local rule I'm not aware of...I hope not anyway!:D

I often get people revving their engines and inching forward when I'm crossing on a green light and they are turning left. The worst junction is the entry to the tunnel contsruction site at work. They turn left out of the construction site onto the main road, directly across a pedestrian crossing and its quite normal to have a huge truck inching forwards towards me as I'm crossing the road on a green light. They figure that cos they are bigger than the pedestrians they can get away with it, and often they do - many times the trucks have just rolled over the crossing and we're stuck waiting for it to change the next time - with 4 minutes between green lights thats a real pain.

paulry Apr 4th 2011 5:34 am

Hate to disagree with you but I've found the middle one to be very London as well.

Alfresco Apr 4th 2011 5:59 am

The rule slightly different here. You must give way to pedestrians even if they are waiting to cross the road i.e. not actually on the road yet.

Do the mock theory test online, there are a few questions on it. :)

spartacus Apr 4th 2011 6:06 am

It's not against the rules of the the road, but it's the ****wits who can't/won't/don't keep up with the traffic in rush hour that boil my piss. Generally the same ones who can't move away from a set of traffic lights in good time.

paulry Apr 4th 2011 6:12 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9283711)
It's not against the rules of the the road, but it's the ****wits who can't/won't/don't keep up with the traffic in rush hour that boil my piss. Generally the same ones who can't move away from a set of traffic lights in good time.

That happens a lot here :frown:

bcworld Apr 4th 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9283708)
The rule slightly different here. You must give way to pedestrians even if they are waiting to cross the road i.e. not actually on the road yet.

Is that the Qld rule? One thing I was immediately aware of when I came to Melbourne was that people actually did do that...I was quite surprised as I wasn't used to seeing it Brisbane!

Rambi Apr 4th 2011 6:54 am

In Aus they have right of way even if they are not already crossing. So there is a difference. However, as a pedestrian I wouldn't bet my life on the car driver knowing :D

I was highlighting that there are differences in the rules between here and UK. Fine you don't need to sit a test to learn the differences but from some of the complaints on here some people have obviously no idea of the local differences. Complaints about people overtaking on the left or why people don't change lanes to let people out of side roads all come down to different rules.

The only gripes I have about driving here are tailgating and the wobbling in lanes. Counter to that the indication is better especially on roundabouts. I don't get many problems with people closing out lane changes. I certainly experienced that more in UK than here.

Alfresco Apr 4th 2011 6:56 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9283742)
Is that the Qld rule? One thing I was immediately aware of when I came to Melbourne was that people actually did do that...I was quite surprised as I wasn't used to seeing it Brisbane!

Yep. Countrywide I believe. I'll get one of my kids to test it tomorrow and see if it works here. ;)

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283767)
In Aus they have right of way even if they are not already crossing. So there is a difference. However, as a pedestrian I wouldn't bet my life on the car driver knowing :D

I was highlighting that there are differences in the rules between here and UK. Fine you don't need to sit a test to learn the differences but from some of the complaints on here some people have obviously no idea of the local differences. Complaints about people overtaking on the left or why people don't change lanes to let people out of side roads all come down to different rules.

The only gripes I have about driving here are tailgating and the wobbling in lanes. Counter to that the indication is better especially on roundabouts. I don't get many problems with people closing out lane changes. I certainly experienced that more in UK than here.

I agree with most of this. :thumbup:

What do you mean by 'wobbling in lanes'? :blink:

Pollyana Apr 4th 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9283742)

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283767)

As bcworld will know, in Brisbane you don't even bet on the driver stopping, never mind knowing there is a rule about it. Crossing the road here is largely a case of taking your life in your hands and hoping for the best, regardless of what the lights say.

Rambi Apr 4th 2011 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9283777)
As bcworld will know, in Brisbane you don't even bet on the driver stopping, never mind knowing there is a rule about it. Crossing the road here is largely a case of taking your life in your hands and hoping for the best, regardless of what the lights say.

It's fair to say that there are definite style differences between the states (and sometimes within a state). :)

Rambi Apr 4th 2011 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9283769)
Yep. Countrywide I believe. I'll get one of my kids to test it tomorrow and see if it works here. ;)

I agree with most of this. :thumbup:

What do you mean by 'wobbling in lanes'? :blink:

I think it's a Victorian habit. They weave in the lanes as they drive along. Not really a problem on multi-lane roads but when they're crossing the white line coming toward you on a highway you start to wonder if they're going to curve back. :eek:

Alfresco Apr 4th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9283804)
I think it's a Victorian habit. They weave in the lanes as they drive along. Not really a problem on multi-lane roads but when they're crossing the white line coming toward you on a highway you start to wonder if they're going to curve back. :eek:

That would be scary. Haven't noticed it here though. Lane discipline seems to be ok. :thumbup: