Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Newcastle, Perth or Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast??

Newcastle, Perth or Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast??

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:42 am
Just Joined

green submariner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcastle, Perth or Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast??

Hi folks, me and the mrs are just about to start the immigration process and hope to move down under as soon as I`ve left the Royal Navy. I`ve looked into the merits of various towns and cities by looking on websites and books, etc. but would like a more honest answer from you guys that are actually out there. We`ve obviously got the same concerns as most people, like job security,crime rates,etc and would like some help in deciding on where to settle down under. At the moment it`s between Perth, Newcastle or the Gold/Sunshine coast areas. I know everyone has different takes and opinions on things and all areas have good and bad points/areas, but any general information would be really appreciated.
I`m a mechanic on nuclear submarines and the mrs is a registered nurse. I believe there is a mining boom going on in Perth at the moment and all the associated work that accompanies this, I`ve also got family there but the isolated nature of it`s location is off-putting to the wife. Is this isolation factor alone a good enough reason to give this area a miss?
Looking into Newcastle,I see a large city which although is surrounded by natural beauty still has lots of industrial opportunities or dockyard work, is this still the case?
Finally, the mrs favorite - the Sunshine coast. This looks a really great place but will job possibilities still exist in the industrial sector? Cheers folks any info or help would be a great help.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice
Default Re: Newcastle, Perth or Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast??

Hey mate,

It's a bit of a difficult one to answer to be honest, and I certainly wouldn't wish to be responsibly for your final decision. However, I am over here, and have travelled a little, so I can offer some insight.

As far as job security and crime rate go, I don't think either of you will have a drama with employment, although I know from friend in the Nursing sector that you do tend to start off a couple of rungs down the ladder from where you were. My honest opinion is that jobs in the industrial sector will be available in pretty much every state in Aus. More prevalent in WA because of the mining boom.

I myself live in WA and have done for around 3 years. It suits me well, and I have little to no dramas with it. I really enjoy my life here.

It is percieved as many as isolated, but we live in a huge country over here. However, I enjoy the space, and the size of the state and the travel opportunities that allows. At the end of the day, it's not too hard to get over east if you want to go there, but I'm always glad when I get home :-)

I wouldn't write WA off purely because of the "isolation" though.

Wishing you well

J
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle, Perth or Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast??

Originally Posted by green submariner
Hi folks, me and the mrs are just about to start the immigration process and hope to move down under as soon as I`ve left the Royal Navy. I`ve looked into the merits of various towns and cities by looking on websites and books, etc. but would like a more honest answer from you guys that are actually out there. We`ve obviously got the same concerns as most people, like job security,crime rates,etc and would like some help in deciding on where to settle down under. At the moment it`s between Perth, Newcastle or the Gold/Sunshine coast areas. I know everyone has different takes and opinions on things and all areas have good and bad points/areas, but any general information would be really appreciated.
I`m a mechanic on nuclear submarines and the mrs is a registered nurse. I believe there is a mining boom going on in Perth at the moment and all the associated work that accompanies this, I`ve also got family there but the isolated nature of it`s location is off-putting to the wife. Is this isolation factor alone a good enough reason to give this area a miss?
Looking into Newcastle,I see a large city which although is surrounded by natural beauty still has lots of industrial opportunities or dockyard work, is this still the case?
Finally, the mrs favorite - the Sunshine coast. This looks a really great place but will job possibilities still exist in the industrial sector? Cheers folks any info or help would be a great help.
Hello Shippers,
As an ex Fellow Submariner I would like to welcome you to this site, Obviously i don't know what rank you are but that makes no difference (all buddies in boats) safe guard 2 clips 2 pins .
I think you are making the move in the right direction, With your mechanical background i'm sure you could secure yourself a job in the industrial sector be it power stations in any state (forget the Nuclear side for the time being ). Also plenty of work in the mining sectors especially for diesel maintainers and fitters especially heavy duty stuff, Like back aft on ssn's or fwd on ssbn's.
Also i believe there are plenty of opportunities for your wife in the Nursing sector.
With life out here expect very similar costs, crime,job security, forget the isolation not worse than being at sea at least you can get on a plane here, unlike when you are many mtrs below the surface and coming to Pd about once a week to get signals and the very infrequent mail drop.
Perth is not isolated at all. If your wife is worried about the distance from the Uk Perth is nearer ok it is isolated from the rest of Oz but its still Oz.
Any thing you would like to ask me just send me a pm and i will try to assist in any way i can

John

Last edited by nickyjohnt; Jun 24th 2008 at 2:14 pm.