New York Must Dos

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:09 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default New York Must Dos

Anyone know what the absolute must see or do things are in New York? Thinking of a short visit there and want to make the most of the time available.

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York Must Dos

Originally Posted by herrchook
Anyone know what the absolute must see or do things are in New York? Thinking of a short visit there and want to make the most of the time available.

Thanks
Walk the brooklyn bridge, OMG did it at night and day and loved it.

Take the staten island ferry in peak time, it was full of new yorkers not tourists.

One thing I didnt really enjoy was the empire state building, the line up and the line down we ended up using the emergency exit stairs as it was going to take even longer to get out via the lifts than it did to get up there, really rude guides pushing people, like a conveyer belt, I mean the view was good but only like the top of any building really.

Get off the subway in some random place we did that several times, probably not recommended in the 1980's but nowdays NY is pretty safe. Maybe dont do that with small kids

Use the subway, cheap and again safe IMO, that was daytime and early evening.

At the twin towers, go in the little church on the side, far more interesting and nostalgic than the site itself, (2 years ago ) .

I think like any city you get the best of it by steering clear of tourist traps and getting round on foot/subway yourself. NY is very easy to get around.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Get on a tour bus and do Manhattan - you can get on or off as you go around.

The Oyster bar at Grand Central Station - Grap yourself a pastrami sandwich at the famous deli (name escpaes me now but will come later!)

Empire State - cliched but worth the money. I have never climbed in inside the statue of Liberty and not sure if you can now so if you can't take the Staten Island ferry past it and get your photos then.

I found Ellis Island very moving and interesting.

Shopping! I haven't been for a few years but when I used to go I used to take a bus (from the Port Authority) or limo (depending on how many we were) to a place called Woodbury common - discount shopping centre which is outside so you don't feel all couped up. It has all the famous brands there (or did) and you don't pay the additional 6% tax that is charged on Manhattan.

We went one December and did ice skating in that big park (must be old age as I can't think of its name!!!!)

See a Broadway or better still off Broadway show - depending on what is on.

I have also done a helicopter tour around which I loved.

Enjoy - I am very jealous.

NB Central Park! Doh
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:34 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Circle Line boat trip around Manhattan
Central Park
Ellis island
Metropolitan Museum of Art
USS Intrepid (I used to work there...)

My own personal tip: if you want to go up a skyscraper, don't do the Empire State Building, go up the Rockefeller Center instead: it's cheaper, you don't get the endless queues that you do at the ESB, it's a more pleasant environment inside, and the views from the top are just as good, if not better.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Grand central station saw it at christmas time, so so beautiful.

Now I am wanting to go back next year LOL.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:35 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I am officially excited now, thanks for those replies. OH and I are thinking of leaving the kids with grandparents later in the year and popping over to celebrate our 40ths
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK, I am officially excited now, thanks for those replies. OH and I are thinking of leaving the kids with grandparents later in the year and popping over to celebrate our 40ths
I dont know how old your kids are , but mine about 11 and 14 then said it was the best place we had ever been, and they have travelled a lot!!

However we werent trying to be romantic, they shared our V expensive hotel room.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:40 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I have never climbed in inside the statue of Liberty and not sure if you can now so if you can't take the Staten Island ferry past it and get your photos then.
They reopened the steps up to the crown last year.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:46 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I dont know how old your kids are , but mine about 11 and 14 then said it was the best place we had ever been, and they have travelled a lot!!

However we werent trying to be romantic, they shared our V expensive hotel room.
Mine are still small - will be 7 and 8 so we'd rather do this one alone.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You can get something called a CityPass for New York. It gets you all kinds of discounts on attractions.

My own personal recommendations are to do the Circle Line boat first. The tour guide guy on the boat is absolutely fantastic. He told us all kinds of things we would never have thought to see otherwise. My must sees were...

1. Times Square late at night. It's when the freaks come out and with all the lights it's fantastic. Never felt unsafe for a second there, even at 2 or 3 am.
2. China Town/Canal Street/Diamond District. China Town was great. The food was fantastic! Canal street is where you get all the knock off stuff. I bought a Tuffany necklace for $20. The diamond district is absolutely incredible. All are within walking distance of each other, so we did all 3 in one day. Canal St in the morning, China Town for lunch and jewelery district in the afternoon. I bought my pearls there and my neice came home with a beautiful emerald which she's since had set into a ring.
3. Get tickets to a Broadway play. There are loads of kiosks in Times Square when you can get last minute tickets.
4. Carriage ride through Central Park.
5. Walk up 5th Avenue from about 40th St to Central Park Ave. If you have little kids a trip to FAO Schwarz is a must do. That's the giant toy store from the movie Big.
6. Ground Zero. I'm not sure what they've done with it in the 4 years since I was there last, but it was interesting to see.

Another tip is to buy a transit pass. YOu can hop on and off the subway or buses wherever you like (the subway system is really easy to navigate and contrary to what you see on TV is clean and safe). Taxis are cheap, but it's still $10 here and $10 there which adds up quickly.

Have a great time. I'm so jealous!!! New York is about my favourite place in the world

Last edited by Dorothy; Feb 2nd 2010 at 3:07 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I liked the Guggenheim across the road from central park. The Brooklyn bridge walk is really good. I took the subway to the first station in Brooklyn then walked back.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Very jealous. I lived in New York some time ago and had the time of my life. Hope to take the missus and the sprog there next year.