Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New UK High Speed Rail - HS2

New UK High Speed Rail - HS2

Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default New UK High Speed Rail - HS2

I'm a big fan of rail and I worked in the industry in the UK, but I'm against HS2. GBP16b (make that GBP20b by the time it's finished) for the first phase to Birmingham, GBP35b for the extensions north (make that GBP50b). Now in an ideal world it's a great project, but the UK ain't got any money. Health, education, police, defence are being cut but the UK will borrow money to pay for HS2. Their priorities are all wrong. Infrastructure is a great way to increase productivity and the economy but this is the wrong infratructure. Hospitals and schools are crumbling, roads at capacity, as well as airports. They could do so much with the 35b (that they actually haven't got) - build the new London airport in the Thames Estuary (and get the private sector to help pay for it), light rail in cities, upgrade roads, build hospitals, schools and science parks, fibre optic backbones etc.

Network rail, government owned and who will be responsible are terribly inefficient and over-manned - totally the wrong outfit to finish this project. Give it to DB, or don't do it at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...be-hidden.html
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New UK High Speed Rail - HS2

I'm not exactly sure who wants to go at 250mph from London to Birmingham.

Birmingham to London, maybe.

Fundamental issue is that most of the money gravitates to London and the South East and although this line will somewhat improve matters by making the north "less out of it"; on its own its not enough to make people/business want to be north of the Watford gap.

Probably better to have a line going west, there are already more people who want to be in that part of the country, so its an easier sell.

Though at £16-20bn I think I'd spend a chunk of that money finding a way to build railway lines in cuttings/tunnels for half the cost. I'm thinking a machine akin to the TBMs, but faster and more automated. Then not only could you do this, and follow on lines, cheaper - you could sell the capability around the world.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'm not exactly sure who wants to go at 250mph from London to Birmingham.

Birmingham to London, maybe.

Fundamental issue is that most of the money gravitates to London and the South East and although this line will somewhat improve matters by making the north "less out of it"; on its own its not enough to make people/business want to be north of the Watford gap.

Probably better to have a line going west, there are already more people who want to be in that part of the country, so its an easier sell.

Though at £16-20bn I think I'd spend a chunk of that money finding a way to build railway lines in cuttings/tunnels for half the cost. I'm thinking a machine akin to the TBMs, but faster and more automated. Then not only could you do this, and follow on lines, cheaper - you could sell the capability around the world.
16-20b is too much to spend just to get it to Birmingham - totally OTT.

The east and west coast main line upgrades have been great projects that have increased rail efficiency greatly in the UK (took a Virgin train from London to Liverpool last year - what a vast improvement), so do they really need HS2 in their current economic situation?

They do need to look at new ways to create routes, and ideally HS2 should go directly to Heathrow (but really to a new London airport) as well so that you can do away with regional airports (which will upset the affected cities). Networkrail are the wrong people to be undertaking this project.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Essentially all that money will result in a saving of approx 30 mins on a journey time? Wow that's going to make a life changing difference isn't it!

Totally agree with Amazulu - the money would be better spent elsewhere, if it even existed!

(Plus it chops through my inlaws village and at 16 metres above ground level there won't be a chance of missing it )
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by jothefw
I agree. Essentially all that money will result in a saving of approx 30 mins on a journey time? Wow that's going to make a life changing difference isn't it!

Totally agree with Amazulu - the money would be better spent elsewhere, if it even existed!

(Plus it chops through my inlaws village and at 16 metres above ground level there won't be a chance of missing it )
Yes, it also cuts through the middle of some beautiful English countryside.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, it also cuts through the middle of some beautiful English countryside.
Wouldn't have that problem here then
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wouldn't have that problem here then
Not my problem
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how it affects people living in another country to be honest
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
unless they have a fixation about Britain
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bloody ridiculous idea. Makes me as cross as I was that the Gold Coast were fighting for (and winning) the right to host the Commonwealth Games. If you have this extra money, then use it for the nation, not for half a dozen people who apparently need to save half an hour off a journey.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Because I'm interested in engineering, projects, transport, technology etc. I worked in the industry over there and have an interest in rail.

Anything else?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.

Originally Posted by Grayling
unless they have a fixation about Britain
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So are you saying we in (insert country here) shouldn't discuss something happening in another country, especially one we've (generally) all spent a fair amount of time in?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:25 am
Banned

No, not at all. I think we are all able to see why individual threads are started.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So are you saying we in (insert country here) shouldn't discuss something happening in another country, especially one we've (generally) all spent a fair amount of time in?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

No, not at all. I think we are all able to see why individual threads are started.
It happens to be front page news on most of the UK media outlets, I honestly don't see an agenda in this case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.