New Smartphone

Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Smartphone

Originally Posted by asprilla
Can't recommend the galaxy note highly enough. Had one for 2 weeks now, paid $569+$20 shipping from Kogan. Price has dropped to $519 now !!

I'm on this deal... complete bargain.

When you get it in the mail and take it out the box, it looks huge. After a week of using it, you pick up other phones and they feel tiny.

It fits in my pocket, no probems at all.

Just used the note on a work inspection. The camera is actually really good, 8mp. Plus you can annotate the photos with the stylus pen. Others on the inspection were pretty impressed.

The GPS is top quality and with the 5" screen it's a proper GPS unit. I recently bought this, and I can tell you, it works really well and looks great too.

Video playback quality is pretty unbelievable when your watching 720p. If you're watching lower res, make sure your video player is set for software acceleration, not hardware acceleration.. using the latter makes playback a little blocky. This bug is no big deal but worth remembering. It'll be fixed soon anyway.

This phone streams 1080p via DLNA...it is impressive to see in action.

Ice cream sandwich OS update is expected in the next couple of months.

Browsing the web on this phone is fantastic due to 1280x800 screen. My mrs has a samsung galaxy S, and browsing the web is "good" / "easy". With the note, it is just as good, if not better, than using a laptop.

Not much else I can say really, apart from that I don't really use my laptop much anymore.

Obviously I'm biased here, but if I were you I'd :
1) get the note now, or
2) wait for SGS3 specs and weigh up vs the note. Then get the note.

3) I don't know much about the htc to be honest

edit : one downside that I did not mention as it doesn't apply to me..... If you like to send SMS's, browse the web, etc, all with one hand.... this isn't the phone for you. I do all that with two hands, so no problem.
Blimey

Havent seen that Tribe thing on Whirlpool either !

Now I'm confused, I'd promised the missus a 3gTablet and I was going to half inch it at night time to take to work to talk to my folks.

I dont think she'll come at that screen size.... she basically wants it for receipes and sitting in the lounge and browsing facebook etc. Do you reckon you could put it on one of those book holders and follow a receipe on it ?

Maybe I should take her for a butchers.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:05 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont think she'll come at that screen size.... she basically wants it for receipes and sitting in the lounge and browsing facebook etc. Do you reckon you could put it on one of those book holders and follow a receipe on it ?
It could do the job easily... but if it's primarily being used for the things you describe - then a regular tablet is better suited IMO.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Can't recommend the galaxy note highly enough. Had one for 2 weeks now, paid $569+$20 shipping from Kogan. Price has dropped to $519 now !!

I'm on this deal... complete bargain.

When you get it in the mail and take it out the box, it looks huge. After a week of using it, you pick up other phones and they feel tiny.

It fits in my pocket, no probems at all.

Just used the note on a work inspection. The camera is actually really good, 8mp. Plus you can annotate the photos with the stylus pen. Others on the inspection were pretty impressed.

The GPS is top quality and with the 5" screen it's a proper GPS unit. I recently bought this, and I can tell you, it works really well and looks great too.

Video playback quality is pretty unbelievable when your watching 720p. If you're watching lower res, make sure your video player is set for software acceleration, not hardware acceleration.. using the latter makes playback a little blocky. This bug is no big deal but worth remembering. It'll be fixed soon anyway.

This phone streams 1080p via DLNA...it is impressive to see in action.

Ice cream sandwich OS update is expected in the next couple of months.

Browsing the web on this phone is fantastic due to 1280x800 screen. My mrs has a samsung galaxy S, and browsing the web is "good" / "easy". With the note, it is just as good, if not better, than using a laptop.

Not much else I can say really, apart from that I don't really use my laptop much anymore.

Obviously I'm biased here, but if I were you I'd :
1) get the note now, or
2) wait for SGS3 specs and weigh up vs the note. Then get the note.

3) I don't know much about the htc to be honest

edit : one downside that I did not mention as it doesn't apply to me..... If you like to send SMS's, browse the web, etc, all with one hand.... this isn't the phone for you. I do all that with two hands, so no problem.
It's size is not an issue for me, in fact it's a bonus. The one I looked at fitted into my pocket easily too. The fact that it takes mSD is a bonus too as I can just use my existing one. Is its battery removable?

I would put HTC on a par with Samsung - and both are better than Apple.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:04 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's size is not an issue for me, in fact it's a bonus. The one I looked at fitted into my pocket easily too. The fact that it takes mSD is a bonus too as I can just use my existing one. Is its battery removable?

yes battery is removable. similar (but slightly bigger) to SGS battery.

I bought a charger + 2 spare batteries for the SGS, ages ago... cost $7 from hong kong delivered !!!
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

The size is definitely not an issue. I have had a 5" Dell Streak for the last two years, and TBH, the additional usability of the large screen far outweighs the additional size in your pocket.

I will be buying a Note just as soon as this month's credit card cycle finishes. Nice to see Kogan keeping the prices down...

S
Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone bought from this lot?

http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/index.php

Prices seem good and are recommended by Choice.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:49 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I don‘t know if you have them down there, (I‘m in Canada), but I‘ve had the new LG Eclypse for a month and it‘s great! I wanted a real keyboard (for posts like this!) and because it‘s a slider it delivers. Spare batteries aren‘t available yet (it came out Dec 18) and you have to take the back off the phone to get at the battery - otherwise it‘s the mutt‘s nuts.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 5:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The HTC One X is out today in Australia - and very nice it is too. Unfortunately, it's only available in white at the moment.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 8:35 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The HTC One X is out today in Australia - and very nice it is too. Unfortunately, it's only available in white at the moment.
http://android.modaco.com/page/news/...-x-review-r433

Got to say, the fixed battery, the lack of microSD, the microSIM, its all turn off as far as I can see. So many other options likely to be around.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 8:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by GarryP
http://android.modaco.com/page/news/...-x-review-r433

Got to say, the fixed battery, the lack of microSD, the microSIM, its all turn off as far as I can see. So many other options likely to be around.
I doubt that I will get one - it's not available on Telstra yet anyway.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:59 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that I will get one - it's not available on Telstra yet anyway.
I thought saffers used bongos
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I thought saffers used bongos
It's smoke signals, flatshare boy.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:31 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's smoke signals, flatshare boy.
Ooops sorry shellfish
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Ooops sorry shellfish
No worries flatshare boy.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:35 pm
FREE TIBET

No worries flatshare boy.
So what drum,i mean phone ya going to go for ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.