Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New Kitchen - ball park price?

New Kitchen - ball park price?

Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:30 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Kitchen - ball park price?

Originally Posted by herrchook
Thanks again for all the advice on kitchens guys, it was really, really useful. Will let you know how it goes if we decide to go ahead.

Wasn't it nice to see that the thread kept on topic and wasn't used as yet another attempt at suburb bashing?
But my suburb is really better than yours
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:54 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
To put it in context our neighbours have just had their kitchen done at a cost of just over $200k.

Sounds like your neighbours have more money than sense.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:27 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
The key, my friends, in terms of value add to a property, is to fit a $20,000 and make it look like a $60,000 kitchen. Can be done.

The other trick is good design. A Kitchen is a workplace and has to be practical. But it also tends to be the part of the house that female influence on the purchase is most keenly felt, so it needs to look good too. But: there's not much point spending money on three sinks when you only need one (especially in these days of dishwashers), no point fitting three cooking ranges if there's only four bedrooms in the house. Most kitchen designs that don't work have far too much cupboard space and not enough open storage. By that I mean hooks and hangers for the tools of cooking. Saucepans are far more efficiently and conveniently stored by hanging them, not by stacking them.

Most kitchens I've seen are for looking at, not for cooking in.

Also, looking at the price of range hoods, consider building a chimney instead. Far more effective, and probably cheaper. Good lighting is essential. And good work surfaces. A central table with a wooden block top on it for cutting is probably the most useful thing you can put in a kitchen I reckon. And nobody ever does.

Cupboards are 90% useless in my view. Store your porcelain in the dining room dresser, your food in the pantry and your saucepans on hangers. What are the cupboards for? More than two is probably a waste of money.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:38 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
But my suburb is really better than yours
Isn't everyone's suburb better than mine
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:39 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
The key, my friends, in terms of value add to a property, is to fit a $20,000 and make it look like a $60,000 kitchen. Can be done.

The other trick is good design. A Kitchen is a workplace and has to be practical. But it also tends to be the part of the house that female influence on the purchase is most keenly felt, so it needs to look good too. But: there's not much point spending money on three sinks when you only need one (especially in these days of dishwashers), no point fitting three cooking ranges if there's only four bedrooms in the house. Most kitchen designs that don't work have far too much cupboard space and not enough open storage. By that I mean hooks and hangers for the tools of cooking. Saucepans are far more efficiently and conveniently stored by hanging them, not by stacking them.

Most kitchens I've seen are for looking at, not for cooking in.

Also, looking at the price of range hoods, consider building a chimney instead. Far more effective, and probably cheaper. Good lighting is essential. And good work surfaces. A central table with a wooden block top on it for cutting is probably the most useful thing you can put in a kitchen I reckon. And nobody ever does.

Cupboards are 90% useless in my view. Store your porcelain in the dining room dresser, your food in the pantry and your saucepans on hangers. What are the cupboards for? More than two is probably a waste of money.
Some great advice there, thanks
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:29 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

no its all relevant is it not.

The point I was making about % of house value (which again is taken the wrong way by reverse snobs) was:
  • If your house is worth $3m or $4m would you use cheap items such as handles, tops, floor linings, door & drawer linings?
  • If you dont set a budget the price could escualte well into a $1million.
  • It would seem between 5% and 15% is now a reasonable range??
If you go into a kitchen designer what is the first question they ask? - What is your budget. Well quite frankly how do you set the budget? A percentage would seem a good starting point. Thereafter you might decide hey thats too much dosh or its too little quality for what we are after.

Seems also people to think about the difference between new created / new built kitchens and refits. As Badge correctly pointed out no matter what budget the inner skin will be MDF its the benchtops and outter linings that cost differentiate.

As per designer kitchen outfits I would save my money and plan the kitchen myself but guess there are other people not comfortable with layout planning guides through DIY stores. Seems a shame though considering most units are all standard sized.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:36 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Isn't everyone's suburb better than mine
If you consider moving to Deer Park, I won't even jostle with you.

And don't take my posts so personally H. Its not aimed at you personally, you know my opinion and I'm not going to change it.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:56 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

no its all relevant is it not.

The point I was making about % of house value (which again is taken the wrong way by reverse snobs) was:
  • If your house is worth $3m or $4m would you use cheap items such as handles, tops, floor linings, door & drawer linings?
  • If you dont set a budget the price could escualte well into a $1million.
  • It would seem between 5% and 15% is now a reasonable range??
If you go into a kitchen designer what is the first question they ask? - What is your budget. Well quite frankly how do you set the budget? A percentage would seem a good starting point. Thereafter you might decide hey thats too much dosh or its too little quality for what we are after.

Seems also people to think about the difference between new created / new built kitchens and refits. As Badge correctly pointed out no matter what budget the inner skin will be MDF its the benchtops and outter linings that cost differentiate.

As per designer kitchen outfits I would save my money and plan the kitchen myself but guess there are other people not comfortable with layout planning guides through DIY stores. Seems a shame though considering most units are all standard sized.
A percentage as a good starting point ?! Surely it is a terrible way to set up a budget. I would suggest that budgeting is not your strong point.

Why not forget about the value of the house, and simply instead think about what kind of kitchen you want (top of the range or budget)... then price up the components and set a budget accordingly. I'm still struggling to understand what the value of the property has to do with the price of cheese.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still struggling to understand what the value of the property has to do with the price of cheese.
Aah now you see . . . that's where you've gone wrong . . . he's talking about kitchens and you're talking about cheese . . . it's like a real life 'chalk and cheese' situations . . . 'cept with kitchens and cheese . . .
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:15 pm
Has left the building

A percentage as a good starting point ?! Surely it is a terrible way to set up a budget. I would suggest that budgeting is not your strong point.

Why not forget about the value of the house, and simply instead think about what kind of kitchen you want (top of the range or budget)... then price up the components and set a budget accordingly. I'm still struggling to understand what the value of the property has to do with the price of cheese.
Ever heard of benchmarking?

I agree with you about once you do the detail costing of your budget but to start off with you need a point of reference.

Put it this way if you start off bottom up and come up with $75k is that the right amount to spend on your property? If you say yes without reference to other similar priced properties in your area your the cheese.

If you find the benchmarked price point is say $85k your on to a good thing. If however you find the BPP is $45k you need to reassess your specifications.

I am not saying to stick to a % but you need it as a reference/benchmark. I initially asked a simple innocent question about 10% being right? ie $38k to $380k property versus $200k to $4m property ie 5%. It still appears to me a good indication or guide for setting a budget cap.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously come from a different view point to me. If I was ripping my kitchen out and replacing it, I wouldn't consider the price of the house as my starting point to work out the budget. I would start with what I have in the bank and if there's zip, then I'd consider how much of a loan I could happily repay. I could have a 6 million dollar house, but if I don't have the wherewithall, it's irrelevant. In my opinion anyway

We've renovated a few kitchens now and would always go the cheap carcasses (Ikea style) and spend the money on decent quality tops, doors, handles etc. To spend thousands on sooper dooper designer carcasses which are still made out of MDF seems pointless to me.

Totally off topic, I got home last night to find hubby had cleaned the kitchen up after his dinner (that's a first I believe) and wondered why the work tops looked so shiny, closer look and found he'd used Mr Sheen Furniture Polish on them Daughter jumped up to sit on one before I could say anything and she slid straight off again Several sheets of kitchen roll later, they still looked nice but without the greased look. Still had food stuck to it but it was shiny Good job I love him
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Ever heard of benchmarking?

I agree with you about once you do the detail costing of your budget but to start off with you need a point of reference.

Put it this way if you start off bottom up and come up with $75k is that the right amount to spend on your property? If you say yes without reference to other similar priced properties in your area your the cheese.

If you find the benchmarked price point is say $85k your on to a good thing. If however you find the BPP is $45k you need to reassess your specifications.

I am not saying to stick to a % but you need it as a reference/benchmark. I initially asked a simple innocent question about 10% being right? ie $38k to $380k property versus $200k to $4m property ie 5%. It still appears to me a good indication or guide for setting a budget cap.
I think what has got up peoples noses is the fact you made reference to particuarly suburbs and not just quoting a % - you then went on to say my neighbour etc etc making it clear that you lived in a expensive suburb where houses can be worth around $4 mil - It was not necessary.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:33 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I think what has got up peoples noses is the fact you made reference to particuarly suburbs and not just quoting a % - you then went on to say my neighbour etc etc making it clear that you lived in a expensive suburb where houses can be worth around $4 mil - It was not necessary.
But then the reason people spend 4 million on a house is so that they can brag about it.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
But then the reason people spend 4 million on a house is so that they can brag about it.
Touche!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hebe
I think what got up my nose is the fact you made reference to particuarly suburbs and not just quoting a % - you then went on to say my neighbour etc etc making it clear that you lived in a expensive suburb where houses can be worth around $4 mil - It was not necessary.
Tidied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.