Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

New Kitchen - ball park price?

New Kitchen - ball park price?

Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:59 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Kitchen - ball park price?

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Geelong Gent;

we live in Rowville mate there is nothing wrong with the place all suburbs have good & bad, we want to replace our kitchen due to age of the existing kitchen, its not a selling point we intend to live here, i think its unfair for you to make a comment like that, your welcome to visit the court where we live,, all people are fantastic, can you tell me the place you live in that all people are decent all of them, as i say you can visit here i shall introduce you to every person in our court them make a judgment, not something you may have heard 2nd 3rd 4th hand from others
It was a fair and open question. To put it in context our neighbours have just had their kitchen done at a cost of just over $200k. But in % terms its about 5% of its current market value. Thats what I was getting at assuming rightly or wrongly that price range of Rowville and Caroline Springs is around the $380k to $450k mark. If your property is more or less just take it in context of %.

Of course some people will go out a little more than others for personal choice of stone v wood v ?. But thought it worth extending the discussion on what upper limit. Some lurkers may be thinking oh I live in R or CS and was only going to spend $20k is that sufficient?.

And yes the people around us (Gascone estate, Malvern East) are decent And for the record I do consider Rowville a decent choice I'll refrain from further comment on CS.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
It was a fair and open question. To put it in context our neighbours have just had their kitchen done at a cost of just over $200k. But in % terms its about 5% of its current market value. Thats what I was getting at assuming rightly or wrongly that price range of Rowville and Caroline Springs is around the $380k to $450k mark. If your property is more or less just take it in context of %.

Of course some people will go out a little more than others for personal choice of stone v wood v ?. But thought it worth extending the discussion on what upper limit. Some lurkers may be thinking oh I live in R or CS and was only going to spend $20k is that sufficient?.

And yes the people around us (Gascone estate, Malvern East) are decent And for the record I do consider Rowville a decent choice I'll refrain from further comment on CS.
But you didn't have to name suburbs - just say - what is your house worth and what percentage is the kitchen going to be.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hebe
But you didn't have to name suburbs - just say - what is your house worth and what percentage is the kitchen going to be.
...but it did give him the chance to imply how much his house is worth though.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I bought stuff on Ebay - all the handles for example.
I got all the electrics at below trade prices as I have a contact at Clipsal - same for the sink and taps.
I got the doors direct from the manufacturer through my builder.
Harvey Norman/Rick Hart seconds are a crock of shit - you can get new stuff cheaper in the main store if you push them hard on the price.
I got cash prices for a lot of the stuff.
IKEA kitchens (like a lot of their stuff) are crap.

It's still f**king expensive although it does look great.
We put our own kitchen in the house that we had built for us last year.They quoted $17,000 for bog basic cabinets,no soft drawer runners,no overhead cabinets or appliances. As we were going to sell it and not move into it (going back to scotland) hubby fitted one himself from IKEA ( solid oak doors).Now most people will think it is crap because you say IKEA but personally you are paying for someone to do the design work,and the fitting.You can see my kitchen on another post from a few days ago.Won't be offended what anyone thinks.We bought an appliance pack during the sales at Retravision, and the cooker hood was from e bay for $230 including postage!! hasn't got top name but most companies re badge things and they come from the same factory.I personally couldn't justify spending $40,000 on a kitchen which will become dated within a few years even if we had been intent on staying here.Our kitchen probably cost around $10,000 all up.Plumbing and electrics were done through the builder to our requirments and were included with house price.
If the people spent $200,000 on a kitchen the house must be worth a couple of mil ,if they were to sell (not saying they would) but they have over capitalized.
Attached Thumbnails New Kitchen - ball park price?-pictures-copies-027.jpg   New Kitchen - ball park price?-pictures-copies-026.jpg  

Last edited by aasmith1957; Aug 12th 2009 at 11:51 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
We put our own kitchen in the house that we had built for us last year.They quoted $17,000 for bog basic cabinets,no soft drawer runners,no overhead cabinets or appliances. As we were going to sell it and not move into it (going back to scotland) hubby fitted one himself from IKEA ( solid oak doors).Now most people will think it is crap because you say IKEA but personally you are paying for someone to do the design work,and the fitting.You can see my kitchen on another post from a few days ago.Won't be offended what anyone thinks.We bought an appliance pack during the sales at Retravision, and the cooker hood was from e bay for $230 including postage!! hasn't got top name but most companies re badge things and they come from the same factory.I personally couldn't justify spending $40,000 on a kitchen which will become dated within a few years even if we had been intent on staying here.Our kitchen probably cost around $10,000 all up.Plumbing and electrics were done through the builder to our requirments and were included with house price.
If the people spent $200,000 on a kitchen the house must be worth a couple of mil ,if they were to sell (not saying they would) but they have over capitalized.
Kind of backs up my statement. An Ikea kitchen is something you put in an investment property or a house you are fixing up to sell.

No much from Ikea is designed to last.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
I'm in the very early stages of thinking about replacing the kitchen in our house with something more modern. Not looking to go top of the range, but something nice, and def not cheap. Prob looking at stone benchtops and include a new oven.

We currently have 8 under bench cupboards. Does anyone who's been kitchen shopping recently have any idea what a general price range might be?

I know no one can give a realistic price without seeing our kitchen, but just a general range so I know how nice I need to be to my hubby would be good
We're near the end of renovating a rental property and here's the breakdown for the new kitchen:

7 linear meter underbench cupboards, 3 linear meter wall cupboards, 1 3/4 sink, tapware, laminex top $7,000, fully installed
oven, cooktop, rangehood DeLonghi package $2,100
tiling, plumbing, electric work - don't know how much as we're quoted for works for the whole house

It's certainly not top of the range but is nice enough to last at least 10-15 years. As I know the cabinetmaker's wife very well, I'm pretty sure I would have to pay $2-3k more if I got someone else to do the job. For stone benchtop, add $2000+, depending on size and quality.

I've been to Freedom Kitchen, Kitchen Connection and Ikea, and for a similar kitchen, the quotes (without appliances) were about $11,000, $9,500, and $7,000, respectively, without installation.

I've also looked at both new and secondhand kitchens on eBay. There're some nice bargains there if you have the time to compare.

Good luck and have fun.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

What about the kitchens that are put in by run of the mill builders not prestige builders? also houses that 1st time homebuyers are building,surely they wouldnt pay $40,000 for a kitchen (mabe iam being an old stinge).Anyway if you lived in the uk in average price house say 250,000 pounds would you pay 10% of its value or more for a kitchen? Maybe it is my age now, but a fancy kitchen means nothing, been cooking and cleaning them for so long that the appeal and shine of an impressive kitchen does nothing for me

If you saw some of the kitchens nah houses in Jurien you would be horrified.Lots or holiday homes,sea changers,retired farmers (loaded but living in shite looking and dangerous beach shacks) etc.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - our IKEA stuff has lasted for years and years I think it's great if you have a limited budget.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Geelong Gent;

have you been to either suburbs you have mentioned at all, i can imagine NO. so its easy to make comment if you have gone by others before.??? the rest is shit think before you put your mouth into gear.??

the place where you live is that the best in the world.??
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:15 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

After all this I still stand that you can get a decent kitchen for $15,000 and not from Ikea.

Oh and btw I have 42 to get installed next month
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rule of thumb used to be around 10% of value.

Personally, I think thats a useless rule, but hey ho..........

For typical refit of a kitchen, retaining most existing services, $20,000 should see you good including new appliances (Oven, hob extract and dw). Fridges are excluded as these vary massively.

From friends places in the UK, nothing wrong with ikea units. They bought worktops elsewhere as the ikea price was a bit rich.

We are at the bottom end of the scale, having bought a repossesion in the UK in February. Kitchen restored by hours of cleaning with sugar soap, new sink unit and mixer (B&Q), and refurb Neff double oven from Ebay for £100.

At the other end, a friend is currently >£50,000 down on his custom built kitchen. Each to their own.

Have fun looking

Pete
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Kind of backs up my statement. An Ikea kitchen is something you put in an investment property or a house you are fixing up to sell.

Actually the house cost $200,000 to lock up.no flooring,tiling,bathroom fitments, kitchen cabinets etc,paving,fencing,landscaping,decorating,hot water system (think i have included it all).Originally we were going to stay here but we then decided to go back to UK.
The house was already started by then.I wasn't willing to pay mega bucks for a kitchen that seriously wouldn't have got our money back on.It isn't an investment property built house,if i had wanted that i would have done a house and land package through cottage builders,not designed it and had a more expensive builder do it.We had a carpenter (who works on triple story homes $2m+ hubby worked with him) build our last kitchen down in Quinns Rocks.It was lovely but in all honesty wasn't worth what was charged.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the cost is the design and fit so I can see where the people doing it cheap come from. Where you save, you can get better fittings. Even an expensive kitchen is likely to be MDF.

Percentage does not necessarily fit as a small 3 bed cottage in Malvern will be twice the price of a place in Rowville and might be the smallest family house in that market.

Geelong Gent - I reckon Malvern is one of the best places to live in the world.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:34 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Geelong Gent;

have you been to either suburbs you have mentioned at all, i can imagine NO. so its easy to make comment if you have gone by others before.??? the rest is shit think before you put your mouth into gear.??

the place where you live is that the best in the world.??

Actually I have been to all the suburbs I mentioned. Have no idea what your comment after relates to?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:52 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for all the advice on kitchens guys, it was really, really useful. Will let you know how it goes if we decide to go ahead.

Wasn't it nice to see that the thread kept on topic and wasn't used as yet another attempt at suburb bashing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.