New Kitchen

Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Kitchen

Originally Posted by tomar
Well 3rd dentist visit over and not cost as much as you thank goodness! Tiles have been laid through downstairs so the kitchen should go in next week. The dust from having the old tiles taken up is pretty bad (understatement). Are you laying the new ones over the old?
Into the 4th week of washing up in the downstairs bathroom sink and cooking/heating food in the microwave in the garage. Like you I filled the freezer with pre cooked food.
The bad news is that nothing will be connected in new kitchen as the work surface won't be measured for until the kitchen is in place and will then take at least a week to come, so the end isn't in sight yet.
Needless to say I have family from UK arriving tomorrow. No way they can stay with us so have booked an apartment for them, then get an email from other friends asking if they can come and stay next weekend!!!!!!
I am keeping calm just.
Good luck with yours and hope your OH gets better quickly.
Thanks- hopefully the end is in sight for you and you will have your new kitchen in soon.
We can't afford to have the floor done, so have to protect it from the destruction about to be unleashed. It is an Amtico floor in a beigey cream- quite worn by previous owner's dog. We hope to put another one down over it eventually, as the skirting boards are too thin to put tiles down. We'd have to rip them off and put new ones, and re trim 5 door architraves and the full width red cedar 4 door opening at the back. Too expensive to get someone else to do, and too hard for us to do.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

OK- finished cooking 2 rhubarb crumbles and now waiting for the oven to cool own before I clean it.....if I can remember where I put the cleaning stuff. Still got the dishwasher to do- not loooking forward to cleaning out the filters- yukkky.

Apart from that and the last minute moving of breadbin, kettle and draining rack. the kitchen has been packed away ready for tomorrow's onslaught, and OH has cleaned up the barbie prior to teaching me how to use it.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, the good news, the new kitchen delivered this morning.
The bad news, the 2 pack colour nothing like the sample colour chosen!!!! Brilliant white instead of, can only describe as a much softer white, that was ordered. Tried to tell us that the light was different in our kitchen to where we had ordered it, so that's why it looks different. Mentioned that we weren't stupid and please come and look at it in the hall where there was some more stored and it wasn't as bright as our kitchen. The difference was even more marked there!
So have had "interesting discussion" with the person responsible for the paint, everything now being taken away to be re-done. The kitchen manufacturers in complete agreement with us.
So being re-painted and might be back on friday? Will be 5 weeks then cooking with the microwave, so cook more than you think you might need and freeze!
Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tomar
Oh well, the good news, the new kitchen delivered this morning.
The bad news, the 2 pack colour nothing like the sample colour chosen!!!! Brilliant white instead of, can only describe as a much softer white, that was ordered. Tried to tell us that the light was different in our kitchen to where we had ordered it, so that's why it looks different. Mentioned that we weren't stupid and please come and look at it in the hall where there was some more stored and it wasn't as bright as our kitchen. The difference was even more marked there!
So have had "interesting discussion" with the person responsible for the paint, everything now being taken away to be re-done. The kitchen manufacturers in complete agreement with us.
So being re-painted and might be back on friday? Will be 5 weeks then cooking with the microwave, so cook more than you think you might need and freeze!
Good luck.
Thanks.
A man arrived at 11.50 (they said between 10 and 12) and the first thing he did was take a sledgehammer to the door of the cupboard we wanted to keep, and damaged the carcass. So off to a good start. I stopped him before he could destroy any more of it, so now we have to find a repairer/replacement side panel.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:26 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

and you want this finished by Christmas ?
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spuddyo
and you want this finished by Christmas ?
That's the idea. The electrician came a day early, so tomorrow there will only be the plumber to deal with- hopefully he can fix the leak that they caused. I have a bucket under a pipe that is dripping at the rate of one drip per 10 seconds- it was 15 but seems to have speeded up. Hope it doesn't go off in the night- the kitchen floor is already very soggy where they burst it.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Question: which is better, bright white or warm yellowish led's and do they work with a dimmer switch or will I have to have a separate switch??
The halogens I have are warm white, but the under cabinet area will be bright white. Do I match it in the kitchen area, or do I match the dining area's lighting?
Old Nov 11th 2012, 6:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New Kitchen

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I want my improved kitchen, but I hate mess and strange people in the home, and it will be a month of all of that. Hope they don't find asbestos!!!
Practical joke suggestion: get a thin piece of scruffy plasterboard (ideally grey) and invite the workmen to sniff it 'to settle a dispute with my husband.'

Then ask 'Did that smell like asbestos to you?'

Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:30 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Question: which is better, bright white or warm yellowish led's and do they work with a dimmer switch or will I have to have a separate switch??
The halogens I have are warm white, but the under cabinet area will be bright white. Do I match it in the kitchen area, or do I match the dining area's lighting?
I prefer the warm white (yellowish) to the bright white but I have to admit, I think that warm white give less light for the same power rating. I find the bright white to "hospitally".

The best measure of output for L.E.D.s is lumens as opposed to wattage. it is useful to check on wattage as well thought for power consumption / running costs.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for cool white. We have them in the study and hallways and love them. Anyway bright lights in the kitchen are the only practical way to go

Our older 'warm' light look very dingy and really yellow now.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a tie then. OH has left it up to me.....and another question- do LED's work on a dimmer switch, or will I have to just have on/off?- ie another socket, as the current halogens are on a dimmer.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Nov 12th 2012 at 6:50 am.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok got the snag of the cupboard being destroyed sorted- replacement panel to be added at no extra charge. Paid the final installment so I can have it delivered next week. Feeling very poor now.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tie then. OH has left it up to me.....and another question- do LED's work on a dimmer switch, or will I have to just have on/off?- ie another socket, as the current halogens are on a dimmer.
I'm another vote for warm white, kitchen or not, I find it much nicer. I believe you can have dimmer switches but just need to make sure dimmer lights (bulbs) are put in.

Good news on the cupboard
Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

OMG- at last, after 4 years of struggling with a hob that only has 2 working rings, and an 80's extractor that attacks your head when you cook, I am getting (most of) a new kitchen!!!

It is all being ripped apart on 12th Nov, and will be out of action for a month, if everything goes to plan. So no cooker, no water in the kitchen, nowhere to prepare food, though we do have a barbie, so I'll have to learn to cook on it. They have to build a new window, as the old one is very thin and unsafe, and the ants get in. Our new one will give us a splashback rather than a gap between sink and window and will be made of laminated glass- a lot safer and more insulating. We are also having a new back door as the old stable door was falling apart.

Dust, dirt, mess, and at the end of it, half of the kitchen will be new, and the other half will have new doors. We are reusing fridge, oven + microwave (built in) and dishwasher, and can't afford a new floor or splashback- my dental problems took care of that. We will go for a few white tiles which we can change at a later date.

I want my improved kitchen, but I hate mess and strange people in the home, and it will be a month of all of that. Hope they don't find asbestos!!!

Memo to self, think positive and start clearing stuff!
Hold your head up in the street!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Think the warm white is winning- I had a look in the showroom and the cold white looked rather clinical. The warm white will at least be a bit more like the other 16 lights in the room. (Previous people loved their halogens- there's one every few feet.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.